News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My New Ride, as they say.  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
My New Ride, as they say.
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:06 PM »
Original kit Flite Streak.

Thanks for taking a look.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My New Ride, as they say.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
Skyfall 007

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
A shorter tank would have allowed the engine to sit back further.  Probably going to be nose heavy.  It is a very nice looking airplane.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
A shorter tank would have allowed the engine to sit back further.  Probably going to be nose heavy.  It is a very nice looking airplane.

Dick,

Thank you. It balances dead center on the spar. As per the plans. 

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:48:13 PM »
Too busy for my tastes but you did a nice job on the graphics.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »
you may want to do a search for flite streak,, pretty sure I have read that balanced per plans it could be tail heavy which means trouble on the test flights,,
how much does it weigh,,
I assume you finally got around to having the body shop shoot your clear for you?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »
you may want to do a search for flite streak,, pretty sure I have read that balanced per plans it could be tail heavy which means trouble on the test flights,,
how much does it weigh,,
I assume you finally got around to having the body shop shoot your clear for you?

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks also for the heads up on the balance, an important issue I will look into.

Weighs 34.3 ounces on my wife's Weight Watcher's scale.

A tad heavy possibly, but it was a vintage kit.

I did changed the wing center sheeting to lighter wood to help with weight, but it has that double bellcrank, so 2X there on the bellcrank weight. The half ribs add a tad also. Probably could have trimmed a bit omitting the rubber wheel. Has a weight box with 3/4 ounce Brodak lead in it.

The body shop wanted 45.00 to shoot the clear, not to bad, but wanted me to leave the model. I Posted that sometime back.

So I went with a 2K gloss clear aerosol can from Eastwood. Sprayed it outside.

Mark, thanks again for the kind reply.

Couple more photos.

Charles

Offline Bruce Hautamaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »
I like it! And glad to see you kept the single wheel gear. That's how streaks should be.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
Beautiful graphics that truly fit the theme!

I've had a couple of Flite Streaks in the past with Fox 35's on them and found it necessary to mount the engine well forward like you have to get a reasonable flying CG.  I doubt you'll have any problem with it.  If anything at that weight it could be a little tail heavy but not likely.  Mine flew balanced at about the same point as yours.  Great stunt trainer!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »
Wow-Lots of finishing time for a Flight Streek. The two I have owned were covered with clear dope with my AMA number on it and away I went. Kudos for taking the time to do a nice job.

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
Nice job Charles!!!!
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:15:53 PM »
Looks good Charles. Now lets see the Mig I am sure it will be nice too
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Haven't we seen this before??
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:13 AM »

Not finished
AMA 12366

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »
Is that all vinyl stick on stuff?

MM

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »

John,

All my models and my work are placed in Forum "Builds." So many have seen it plenty.

But like Robert said, not completed, cleared, assembled and finished. Models look much nicer when they are completed.

So, because I expose my models in stages of construction, my models probably become common place to others before they are even finished and displayed.

However, modelers still become the "Jury."

Sure, a pat on the back from fellow modelers is absolutely a great thing and, like myself, I believe we all look for that, and need it actually. I cannot think of anything better than approval from my fellow modelers.

Unfortunately, and as I said, with a Build, the model becomes a "no big deal" when viewed finished. There's no impact like seeing a finished model for the first time and never seeing any construction of it along the way.

But, I like sharing and the exchange of ideas, this is why I have Builds. Those that do Builds know that I put a great deal of time into them, as do others.

I now have a new challenge in the works and I may not do a Build just for this next model, only because it will be taking up a good deal of my spare time.

I don't have a great deal of time, I still work each and every day. I have to.

Mark,

I checked. You were correct. Says right on the plans,

"For the experienced flyer balance the model at the CG."  "For the beginner learning to stunt, model should be nose heavy when held at the CG."

Motorman,

It's all paint, aerosol cans actually, except for the light blue lettering, the black outline around that lettering and the 007 graphic. This was asked and mentioned way back in a "painting and finishing" Thread.

I could have easily painted it, but I don't sell paint, I sell graphics.

FYI. My graphics have many wins at the Nats. 2014 and 2015.

Couple more photos.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
Bruce, Randy, Don, John, and Robert,

The "Jury" is in, thanks for the kind words about my model.

It's appreciated.

Charles

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Where is your AMA number??
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Where is your AMA number??

There is no room!
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »

There is no room!

Bill,

That is funny.  LL~

Humor is always a good thing, especially with Forums. We have no idea what's happening with our fellow modeler's lives, so humor can always be a great cure.

I don't have one of those AMA "phone numbers." C'mon, I'm kidding! Just kidding!

I started modeling early, so my AMA number is short. So, if I really wanted to, I could find room.

Someplace?

Charles

Offline Bill Burton

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
I like it Charles....lots of work on display here.

BB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
Looks good Charles. Now lets see the Mig I am sure it will be nice too

Robert,

Thanks for that.

I'm waiting on a semi-matt 2K clear in an aerosol can, should have it mid week. A fellow modeler gave me the lead!

Not sure how that will turn out, but I will use it on the Mig-3.

I have a great deal of work and time in the Mig-3, I hope the model is well received.

Thanks for the reply.

I like it Charles....lots of work on display here.

BB

Bill,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, probably a bit more work than I should have for this particular "profile" model, but I really like the Bond movies and wanted to do something really different.

I don't think the design is too busy at all.

I like it too!

Bill, thanks again for the reply.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
when are you going to fly it,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
when are you going to fly it,,

Mark,

I plan on flying it by the end of the month. I hope. I can't wait!

The day my group files is Saturday.

I've been working with a student, I teach tennis, Saturday mornings, so I haven't been at the field.

See how it goes.

What do Flite Streaks weigh?

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Too busy for my tastes but you did a nice job on the graphics.

Bob,

I'm just getting around to replies.

Yes, a bit busy for my likings also, but as a "Theme," busy or not I needed most of that stuff. Probably could have left out the gold to silver. Could have worked just as well or even better.

Thanks for the reply.

I like it! And glad to see you kept the single wheel gear. That's how streaks should be.

Bruce,

Correct! One wheel, as per the plans. I even worked in the Flite Streak wing graphics scheme as best I could.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »
I'm a month late in this thread, but I posted in another one that I really like it. Not too busy for my taste, considering it is a theme project as you stated. I had the picture without the power plant in my PC's desktop slideshow, and it pops up about once every week or so. I just changed it to the one above fully decked out.

The only thing I think would enhance its looks is if you had put a thick balsa tripler on the inboard side to cover the engine and mounting hardware. That's also good for a Fox powered model to help with stiffness. Definitely start nose heavy, as a tail-heavy Streak is as unruly in flight as anything I've flown. If you added your AMA numbers, I'd suggest the smallest allowable gold or blue font on the outboard flap, or just in front of the flap. Please do get at least one flight on it so we can see a picture or video of it getting its inaugural castor sheen.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Rusty,

Thanks for the reply and the kind remarks.

All rattle cans, beginning to end. Yes, it can be done.

I did want to keep the scheme a bit mild and not go to far overboard.  LL~

I just got this thing with Bond movies.

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty,

Thanks again for the kind reply.

Charles

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Nice work throughout

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
Nice work throughout

Jim,

Thanks for the favorable comment.

I was reluctant at first to attempt this scheme with aerosol cans, but there's so many modelers using them and getting great results.

So I gave it a shot.

In fact, all my models have been painted with aerosol cans.

I cleared the Mig-3. I'll have photos of that up soon.

Thanks again for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
I forgot something or I could say I left something out.

The Skyfall 007 Flite Streak, was painted start to finish with aerosol cans, and painted outside

totally, including the clear coat.

Charles

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
I started modeling early, so my AMA number is short.

AMA 007?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
AMA 007?

I always feel guilty when I don't respond to a reply in one of my Threads.

Generally for good reasons.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I stumbled onto this again and remembered it.

Yes, You are correct.

My AMA number is 007  ;D

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »
Charles.  You have taken an ordinary model and turned it into something special.  I guarantee you will get plenty of interest at the flying field. 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
Charles.  You have taken an ordinary model and turned it into something special.  I guarantee you will get plenty of interest at the flying field.

There's two large active R/C clubs where I'm moving.

I'm sure I'll fit right in.  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here