News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The ugly part of the hobby  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The ugly part of the hobby
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
Been waiting for weeks to get the Tx temp down enough to paint my Continental. I've used Duplicolor for years with excellent results...until now. For the first time ever, I decided to use their primer sealer. All the info looked good. Followed the instructions exactly. But, they didn't mention that the paint will not stick to the sealer! After hours of taping, I pulled the tape (using the hair dryer method) and the paint lifted in sheets. I've now stripped the sealer and paint and will start over. Going to shoot straight over the primer like I've done in the past. What a mess!

Paul

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The ugly part of the hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Bummer Paul.
I hate to paint, and not so great at it, so, I'm a filmer...
Sorry for your setback, can't wait to see the finished product.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
Chris,

I think my post came across a little wimpy. I wasn't looking for sympathy, although I appreciate your kindness. I was actually trying to inform others who use the Duplicolor products. Since it was lacquer, it washed off fairly easily. It was all the time lost on the taping that was the most aggravating. It's been re-primed and ready for paint. Hope to get it moving along next week. I'll post photos.

Paul

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »
Was it their paint as well that you had used?  I find that odd.  It may have been a bad batch? 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:12 PM »
Paul,

I don't know those products, but, and this is just a guess, if you sanded the sealer with 400 before applying the paint, that could have made a difference.

I look at those products sometimes but cannot bring myself to try them. They have great metalic colors.

Looking forward to those photos and the finished model!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
It was the Duplicolor product I used from start to finish. I use their product all the way through the color coat. I clear coat with PPG 3 part with a little flex additive.

Charles, I agree with the 400 grit sanding step. I came within an inch of doing just that. But I reviewed the instructions carefully and it states to paint directly over the sealer with no sanding required. I decided that sanding might break down the bonding component of the surface of the sealer. Live and learn.

Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here