News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Irvine .40  (Read 2220 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Irvine .40
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
Hi
I was sort of coerced into buying some CL stuff....nice guy, and what seemed like fair pricing.
Something in the deal was a new Irvine .40.....I would imagine that it was new 20 years ago, but it is un-run and turns freely...
Is anyone fooling with these of late?

Thanks

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Irvine .40
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
Hi
I was sort of coerced into buying some CL stuff....nice guy, and what seemed like fair pricing.
Something in the deal was a new Irvine .40.....I would imagine that it was new 20 years ago, but it is un-run and turns freely...

Thanks

I played with a couple about 12 - 15 years ago.  Basically they are well made very powerful engines.  They are really not tuned for stunt type of runs but can be run in a style similar to the VF40.  I raised the boost port timing on one of them about 7 degrees and it took some of the edge off but of course also lost a bit of power in the midrange to top...not a bad thing...I ran one of them in a 655 sq in profile for a while and played with venturi sizes and head shims.  Eventually got it to rum acceptably but it always seemed to be a bit critical on fuel and needle setting.  maybe more fiddeling would make it better but I finally just got tired of playing.  I still have it, and the unrun one.  Maybe I'll get interested in it somtime but certainly not at present.  If you develop it I would be interested in the setup. 

As it comes out of the box it's more of a go fast engine than anything else...might in fact make a good class I carrier engine with the right OS carb!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:59 AM »
Hi

Thanks

I ran a few and still have a few. I have a 40 and I believe a 46, both NIB. Originally made in England, as mine were.

The new ones are made in China or Japan I believe and not as popular with those modelers that know the engine. It should say "Made in England," on the case.

They are a fine R/C engine. I purchased them for R/C but they came with venturies.

Brodak is having some 40 size engines made in Russia, so the story goes.

I would be patient and wait to see how Brodak's 40's turn out.

My interest would be a small case engine, possibly the size of a 40 that would be a 46.

Fill that OS LA 46 gap. I would like to have two more .46 engines.

Photo added.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:11:13 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
The venturi conversion denotes it as a job done by Just Engines in the U.K.
Irvine only offered one engine as a C/L ready and it was a 36 Red case. It wasn't really suitable as it had all of the faults described in a previous post. Byron Barker was doing reworks to make the more stunt friendly. The engine dried up when Ron Irvine retired.

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
To my Memory,
FAI F2B Expert Pilot Christoph Holtermann Germany used to fly this one on pipe on a rich 2 stroke Setting,
......many..many moons ago.
Just a typical heavy (case) F2B pipe engine.
Buy 3, fly one and use the other 2 for parts.

Peter  H^^
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
All I know is the Irvine 15 speed engines they sent over here through Tower Hobby where total junk.

MM

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:52 PM »

Flew it in the big Spitfire with a 10 x 4 Grish 3 blade . Kinda quick and ' locked in ' . Needed the SMALL OS 40 FSR S venturie,
which is a perfect fit. Must do the tank for this soon .

It had a sorta tounge muffler up the back with four 2 mm holes . Maybe sitting on 11.000 odd perhaps , or more in a big heavy plane .Like This .
Figure a 12 x 5 topflite props marginal , but I will try it . dunno if the interiors the same as the red one . There was some pretty weird multi port liners , ringed & abc .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:31:32 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
I have one Irvine .40 that I stuck a venture on (don't ask me what size or anything) and have been flying the heck out of it for years!  It will do a fast 4-2-4, but runs better 2 cycle and 11/4 Grish.  I love that motor....tons of power and it never quits.  Wished I had the money to buy another.  I've had that motor on several airframes, crashed most of them and the motor always survives. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »
I have one Irvine .40 that I stuck a venture on (don't ask me what size or anything) and have been flying the heck out of it for years!  It will do a fast 4-2-4, but runs better 2 cycle and 11/4 Grish.  I love that motor....tons of power and it never quits.  Wished I had the money to buy another.  I've had that motor on several airframes, crashed most of them and the motor always survives. H^^

Glenn,

I never had any issues with mine. But they are a bit large.

Got a photo of your Irvine 40 with the venturi? I'd like to see the venturi.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
When I get home and have a few minutes, I'll look for venturii . I believe there are several .
I'm thinking that I'll probably sell it.....I have enough engines........

Have fun!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
When I get home and have a few minutes, I'll look for venturii . I believe there are several .
I'm thinking that I'll probably sell it.....I have enough engines........

Have fun!

Peabody,

Great!

I could probably use a venturi that fits.

Let me know.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here