News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ehling "Easy" article, April 1949 Air Trails  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ehling "Easy" article, April 1949 Air Trails
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Anyone got one?  It'll be going into the files at first, but my wife is at the "using up airplanes" stage of learning to fly, and the "Easy" looks like a good stunt trainer that can compete in Old Time.

(And, before anyone else mentions it -- yes, the elevator is kinda big.  I may make the first one with the hinge line moved back even if it won't be OT legal.  Or I'll use the stock hinge line.  The impulse of the moment will determine what I do there.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Ehling "Easy" article, April 1949 Air Trails
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »
Anyone got one?  It'll be going into the files at first, but my wife is at the "using up airplanes" stage of learning to fly, and the "Easy" looks like a good stunt trainer that can compete in Old Time.

(And, before anyone else mentions it -- yes, the elevator is kinda big.  I may make the first one with the hinge line moved back even if it won't be OT legal.  Or I'll use the stock hinge line.  The impulse of the moment will determine what I do there.

Tim,

I just took a look at that article of the "Easy." Yes, I have that magazine.

I don't think the elevator is large at all, in fact, the easy is well proportioned. IMHO.

Possibly you saw one that was altered?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »
You must want a hard copy, you probably saw this

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/1020TheEASY.pdf
Fred

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
You must want a hard copy, you probably saw this

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/1020TheEASY.pdf

I didn't!  I was browsing for designs in the PAMPA collection of OT plans.

It does answer my biggest question: I wanted to verify that it was, indeed, a side-mounted engine.  At this point I feel I could just build (well, after I get a decent CLPA plane done).

The plans book has a drawing with symbolic dimensions (dimension 1, dimension 2, etc.), and a chart that you use to size your Easy to the engine size -- so you can build one from 1/2-A size all the way to a then-60-sized (now 45) 50" wingspan plane.

I just took a look at that article of the "Easy." Yes, I have that magazine.

I don't think the elevator is large at all, in fact, the easy is well proportioned. IMHO.

The elevator is a bit big for a flapped stunter, and way more than is necessary for a flapless -- take a look at a Sig Skyray 35 for an example of an elevator area that works just fine for flapless stunt.  I'm expecting that if I use the original hinge line (which is necessary for it to be OT-legal) I'll take pains to hold the elevator throw to a minimum, ala modern Ringmaster practice.

Do you have the original 1949 article?  Would you be willing to send me a scan?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
My buddy owns one built by a friend of ours. Its a very capable airplane. I've been trying to buy it from him, no luck.....
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:31:24 PM »
Tried to Post this once and it failed, I'll try again.

Tim,

The mag is old and cannot really be flattened. The back page fell off.

I don't think Dick paid any attention to the 1949 construction.

Be interesting to know if his model is exact to his plans?

All pages in JPEGs and PDF files.

See if I can get this in?
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
Tried to Post this once and it failed, I'll try again.

Tim,

The mag is old and cannot really be flattened. The back page fell off.

I don't think Dick paid any attention to the 1949 construction.

Be interesting to know if his model is exact to his plans?

All pages in JPEGs and PDF files.

See if I can get this in?

You should read the article before you make comments about Mr Sarpolus' model. If you read the article, you will find that he used the Air Trails article as a guide to build his model, and just changed some construction methods to assemble his. It is still OTS legal, and probably easier to build. The late Jim Thomerson and Rusty Brown both used this design to good success.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
Tim,

Sorry, I couldn't get those PDF files in.

But I see from the quality of the photos, you can see and read the words. Correct?

Hope this helps.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
Could you try again on the dimension table? I can't quite make it out. Or do you have a clear copy Tim? Thanks guys.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
Yes, I can read it just fine -- thanks.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
I'm kinda cheating because this is from the PAMPA book -- but here you go.

If you don't have it you want to get a copy.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »
Even though you think the elevator is too big, you can control the sensitivity with either the bell crank or control horn and easiest method is at the handle.   By the way I personally would go with Richard Sarpolous' version.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:09 AM »
Even though you think the elevator is too big, you can control the sensitivity with either the bell crank or control horn and easiest method is at the handle.   By the way I personally would go with Richard Sarpolous' version.

John,

I would upgrade the model also with current construction methods as did Richard Sarpolous with his Easy.

Interesting article. States that the wing center section is "planked." Vintage terminology.

The good old days.

Here's the cover for those interested.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:11:50 AM »
Tim I have seen a couple of these built OT legal and they flew a lot like a Ringmaster. Richard Sarpolus model is not OT legal but for your purpose it would be better than the original version. Making  the elevator smaller for training flight is a good idea.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
   You should read the article before you make comments about Mr Sarpolus' model. If you read the article, you will find that he used the Air Trails article as a guide to build his model, and just changed some construction methods to assemble his. It is still OTS legal, and probably easier to build. The late Jim Thomerson and Rusty Brown both used this design to good success.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Dan, I may be wrong, but doesn't putting the spars to the surface of the wing change the airfoil? I too have the original information/article (or copy of) and there are no spars as I remember..........

I think Sarpopulas's (sp?) construction could be used IF one counter sunk the spars so they didn't touch the surface covering and thereby change the airfoil. 

I agree with EddyR and Doc.  y1

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

Except that the livelier the plane is the more it's subject to springiness in the lines -- I built my Ringmaster with too much elevator throw and the handle spacing became a compromise between too much turn and too soft lines.
AMA 64232

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
Dan, I may be wrong, but doesn't putting the spars to the surface of the wing change the airfoil? I too have the original information/article (or copy of) and there are no spars as I remember..........

I think Sarpopulas's (sp?) construction could be used IF one counter sunk the spars so they didn't touch the surface covering and thereby change the airfoil. 

I agree with EddyR and Doc.  y1

Good luck, Jerry

How does putting in a top and bottom spare change the airfoil shape, other than maybe adding a small flat spot? It doesn't make it any thicker, or change the high spot. Read the article and dick Sarpolus came about his airfoil the same way you would if you used the chart in the Air Trails article, then he just added the spars and how it mounts in the fuselage. Moments, dimensions and airfoil don't change. Just my opinion.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Adding spars takes a lot of  the sag out of the covering between the ribs. Why not add sheeting? It does change the airfoil a lot. The airfoil between the ribs is nothing like at the ribs. RingMaster has the same problem. I/Beam wings keep the rib spacing close or add half ribs to help stop the covering from deforming the airfoil.
 Probably more than anyone wanted to know #^
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
Adding spars takes a lot of  the sag out of the covering between the ribs. Why not add sheeting? It does change the airfoil a lot. The airfoil between the ribs is nothing like at the ribs. RingMaster has the same problem. I/Beam wings keep the rib spacing close or add half ribs to help stop the covering from deforming the airfoil.

If you use the humongous leading edge that's called out in the original plans you should have plenty of strength.

Dunno if moving the bellcrank to inside the wing is OT legal though -- strictly speaking it's not an aerodynamic change.
AMA 64232

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:23 PM »

It will only take the sag out at the location of the spare. Hardly enough of a change to call it changing the airfoil. If this is true then there are a lot of kits on the market wit "OTS Legal" on the box that have had the internal construction changed. I wouldn't even have a problem with top and bottom spares on the good old Ringmaster as long as it still kept the polywog shape. Leading edge sheeting or multiple spars, the yeah, you are changing the airfoil.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

(Clip).

Dunno if moving the bellcrank to inside the wing is OT legal though -- strictly speaking it's not an aerodynamic change.

If you do not know, then why say anything?

The PAMPA OTS rules state

"3.1  Allowable modifications.

----

3.1.5 Control ratios and control mechanism location."

Thought you should know.

Keith

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »

The airfoil shape is determined at the rib itself, in my opinion. Adding a spar does nothing to change that. It may make the covering more consistent at that one particular point, but not the overall airfoil. The covering will still sag before and after the spar.  Hardly a performance advantage. Like I said, it's been done before and allowed.
  My 2 cents worth,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:27 AM »
If that is the case how come the Estes Ringmaster is illegal.  It has surface spars.

Just back from reading Richard's article,  He states at one point he assumed his plane would be legal for Old Time.   I my self would not keep any one from entering Old Time with his design or even the Estes Ringmaster.  I have the Estes Ringmaster and have had the S-1A version and could tell no difference in the way they flew.  Maybe we need to get hard nosed and go back to the original GSCB Old Time rules and eliminate 1/2 the competitors.   I would not do it though as I want to see more people flying Old Time.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
If that is the case how come the Estes Ringmaster is illegal.  It has surface spars.

Just back from reading Richard's article,  He states at one point he assumed his plane would be legal for Old Time.   I my self would not keep any one from entering Old Time with his design or even the Estes Ringmaster.  I have the Estes Ringmaster and have had the S-1A version and could tell no difference in the way they flew.  Maybe we need to get hard nosed and go back to the original GSCB Old Time rules and eliminate 1/2 the competitors.   I would not do it though as I want to see more people flying Old Time.

Hi Doc;
   The Sterling/Estes S-1A Ringmaster has a thicker D-tube wing and is totally different from the original Sterling kit #S-1. I think it may even be the same wing in the Hellcat kit that they offered. Estes changed the name to "Super Stuntin' Ringmaster" or something like that. I think I have examples of each in my kit collection and would have to check to be certain.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here