News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pushrod end keepers? Where to buy?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Pushrod end keepers? Where to buy?
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
I haven't used these things in so long, I cannot remember who makes them?

I tried Brodak's website and came up empty.

Someone must sell them.

These "keepers" are the ones that look like a cork screw for removing a cork.

They go on the 90 degree bend at the control horn end of the pushrod.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Pushrod end keepers? Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
           Brodak sells them.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
But I would not trust them, wherever they come from.

Just saying.

(And I am not trying to pick on Charles.)

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »

Just saying.

(And I am not trying to pick on Charles.)

Keith

If Brodak has them I couldn't find them?

Keith,

Well, thank you.

Thing is, I don't trust them either.

We used to put a strip of small diam. fuel tubing around them, just to be sure.

I mistakenly bent the 90 degree pushrod end in the wrong direction.

I don't trust my soldering either.

I don't believe I have many options.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
JB weld a washer on the end. Make a few passes with a file to create notches, slide on washer coat with JB Weld... Done

Offline Jim Dincau

• Lieutenant
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
Jim,

That's exactly the item I was thinking of.

What a guy! H^^

Thank you for the reply and the link.

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
I use them on profile and sport planes.   But I also put a piece of tubing over them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »
eBay. That's where I bought the several pairs from. Made by "Perfect".
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
http://www.perfectpartscompany.com/PerfectAirplaneMainFrame.htm

Perfect is still in business and has them + a lot of other stuff I bet you thought was gone!
mike potter

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »
4-40 threaded rod end with a steel Du-Bro clevis.Adjustable in .0125 increments.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
4-40 threaded rod end with a steel Du-Bro clevis.Adjustable in .0125 increments.

At least use a Sullivan gold with the little keeper and be sure to put a lock nut on the threaded rod to keep it from vibrating the threads to dust.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 03:11:30 PM »
The wise man will listen to Keith Trostle and Bob Reeves.  The "Perfect" style keepers are NOT so perfect.  Under stress such as high wind etc...they will flex and fail!  Washers either soldered or as suggested JB Weld always works and does not fail.  It can be removed with a heat gun if necessary.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »
The wise man will listen to Keith Trostle and Bob Reeves.  The "Perfect" style keepers are NOT so perfect.  Under stress such as high wind etc...they will flex and fail!  Washers either soldered or as suggested JB Weld always works and does not fail.  It can be removed with a heat gun if necessary.

Randy Cuberly

OK,

I will solder the end. Thanks for the advice.

And I'll Post a photo.

Charles

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

Just saying.

Keith
This. In trumps.
I watched a crash in May. It was attributed to one of these failing.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
This. In trumps.
I watched a crash in May. It was attributed to one of these failing.

I told you I would solder it. Plus a keeper for back-up.

Just to be sure.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
   Your soldering technique needs a LOT of work and practice. The photo of your elevator horn should be in Wikipedia to show what a cold solder joint looks like, and it's not even all the way around the washer. A wheel collar with a set screw would be more secure than what you have there, even with the pig tailed keeper.  Hope you lead outs are secured at the bell crank better than that.
  And where is your AMA number? How can you enter this airplane in a contest without an AMA number? Must be 1" high  or more on the upper surface of the right wing. You are going to fly this model and enter it at least in a local contest, correct?
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:04 PM »
Dan take a picture of yours and show us what it looks like.
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »
Charles,
When you solder something like that you need to thouroughly clean both parts to be soldered with an abrasive like 400 grit sandpaper, then clean with isopropol alcohol.  Use 60/40 rosin core solder and with a soldering iron tip cleaned with a wet sponge or wet paper towel tin the tip with solder and apply the hot soldering iron tip to the object to be soldered and heat it with the solder applied to the object (not to the soldering iron) and wait until the solder flows freely, then remove the soldering iron and solder you're holding then let the solder cool to hard (usually a few seconds) before moving anything.  Do it this way and you'll have a strong clean smooth joint.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »

Goin' flyin' this morning, will email you one when I get home

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »

Robert,

The sodering doesn't look neat, so I "see" the concern and appreciate it. Thanks guys.

I don't like soldering close to aluminum, especially thin aluminum like this control horn. Bad choice on my part, but I had it.

Heat and thin aluminum control horns, probably not a good thing.

The photo is actually a poor one, in that you cannot see that the solder does wrap around well. I made an ever so slight groove that the brass washer sits in also.

I put pliers on the washer and gave it the pull test. It's going no where. Did the same pull test on all the washers for the main wheels, on both models also, so it's fine.

I do an extensive "preflite" test for the Flite Streak, so I'll keep an eye on it. See the pun? And I'm kidding about an "extensive" preflight, but I do look at things before I fly.

Like that all girl soccer team. I'm kidding!

What I do need is a lesson in graphic design. ;D

Hey Robert!

Congratulations on taking that next step towards design and layout independence. I watched your plotter/cutter videos.

You're a natural with layered paint masks, like you have been doing it your whole life.

You are talented Robert.  H^^

Lots of guys in your Forum have cutters. You can draw with them also. Great equipment.

Charles

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Robert,

The sodering doesn't look neat, so I "see" the concern and appreciate it. Thanks guys.

I don't like soldering close to aluminum, especially thin aluminum like this control horn. Bad choice on my part, but I had it.

Heat and thin aluminum control horns, probably not a good thing.

The photo is actually a poor one, in that you cannot see that the solder does wrap around well. I made an ever so slight groove that the brass washer sits in also.

I put pliers on the washer and gave it the pull test. It's going no where. Did the same pull test on all the washers for the main wheels, on both models also, so it's fine.

I do an extensive "preflite" test for the Flite Streak, so I'll keep an eye on it. See the pun? And I'm kidding about an "extensive" preflight, but I do look at things before I fly.

Like that all girl soccer team. I'm kidding!

What I do need is a lesson in graphic design. ;D

Hey Robert!

Congratulations on taking that next step towards design and layout independence. I watched your plotter/cutter videos.

You're a natural with layered paint masks, like you have been doing it your whole life.

You are talented Robert.  H^^

Lots of guys in your Forum have cutters. You can draw with them also. Great equipment.

Charles

Why would you be concerned about soldering next to an aluminum control horn. I'm curious and would really like to hear about it. No known metallurgical reason that I'm aware off.
   I just emailed some pictures to Sparky for him to post. I don't have  the spare time others do to master photo re-sizing to post to the forums. I have a tree in my back yard that I took down and need to finish cleaning up the resulting mess, then some other duties before I sleep.
    If Sparky posts them, enjoy. I did these in a hurry and that may show, but should illustrate what I was talking about.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
   Why would you be concerned about soldering next to an aluminum control horn. I'm curious and would really like to hear about it. No known metallurgical reason that I'm aware off.
   I just emailed some pictures to Sparky for him to post. I don't have  the spare time others do to master photo re-sizing to post to the forums. I have a tree in my back yard that I took down and need to finish cleaning up the resulting mess, then some other duties before I sleep.
    If Sparky posts them, enjoy. I did these in a hurry and that may show, but should illustrate what I was talking about.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee

What email address did you send them to? I didn't get them
AMA 12366

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »
   just checking in and saw that my email was returned. I sent them to sparkyfl @ charter.net. Is that not correct? Will try sending again.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

EDIT: Sent thenm to .com instead of .net. Just corrected that. Sorry about that Chief!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:24:04 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here