News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Emergance of a Competive Stunt Flier.  (Read 1781 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
The Emergance of a Competive Stunt Flier.
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:33 AM »
    This weekend I judged a few events on Saturday the Fall Follies in Salem , Oregon.  In Profile I watched a guy fly in some crappy wind & fly quite well some maneuvers were exceptional.   Then comes Sunday ,, his Full Fuse Stunt Plane tweaked in the pull test so he resorted to his profile.  He flew to his highest ever score, Taking 3rd in Expert behind World class Fliers Cris Cox & Howard Rush. Switching to his backup & doing so well showed his ability to work through adversity. Fred Underwood has only been flying a few years & has progressed quickly.
  I recognize Fred's skills & wish him the best.
                       John L.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: The Emergance of a Competive Stunt Flier.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
John, thanks for the notice and overly kind words.  Also thanks to the fellow flyers who allow me to compete on Sunday when I can get to the contest, late, after church services.  I have been a Profile flier because it is a Saturday event, and rarely can fit flying in on Sunday, and then only by allowances by CDs, judges, and the contestants.  I was a bit rattled after the second Genesis S2 attempt with a very dead “up” line and would not have flown the backup but for encouragement and pushing from Doug Knoyle assisting me, thanks Doug.
Fred

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »
Have you cut into the Genesis yet to find the problem?

You know you have to, and that you can ask here for tips on where to cut.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »
Good post, John. Tim...not so much, but I may just buy a Worx corded chainsaw for my wife for Christmas. Hmmmm, on second thought, she's been pretty grumpy lately. Hostile, even.

I've observed that Fred accepts coaching, suggestions and critiques well. But he does hit the corners too hard, as do John and I. Oh, let's also throw Tim under that bus.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
John, thanks for the notice and overly kind words.

I really don't think they're overly kind -- you're earning your kudos honestly, now accept them gracefully.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
Thank you all for the kind observations.  I have received many comments from judges and fellow flyers that have been very helpful. The control line group is a great bunch who help each other and then go out and compete; a pleasure to know and fly with.
Fred

John Leidle

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
   Steve ,  FYI  I like the way I hit my corners. ( opinions vary).

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Have you cut into the Genesis yet to find the problem?

You know you have to, and that you can ask here for tips on where to cut.

Well Tim, I hope that I don't need to borrow your WORX type tools.  I took the bolt weight out of the outboard tip and could see the down line, half the bellcrank, and the pushrod and ball link.  All seemed well.  Since moving the leadouts back I do not need the front lead hole so drilled that out to visualize the "up" side.  All looks well at the bellcrank.  I almost missed the leadout being stuck in the foam just shortly before wing adjuster exit.  I used a threaded rod in another lead hole to "sand" that groove, the "arthroscopic" approach. When the pull test occurred I thought I heard a slight plink or snap but could not feel the difficulty on the ground.  Prior to adding the wing tip, I burned/melted out the estimated foam for the lead sweep.  I assume that the lead has been sliding over the hardened foam at flying load and snapped through the crust, the noise, with pull.  The up line was dragging enough and difficult to control that I focused on that and forgot the wingover on the first flight turned attempt.  Being a slow learner I tried another flight.  I managed a pattern, but mostly managed to increase my angst.  After clearing the backup Profile with CD and judges, I would probably have backed out except for prodding by Doug. Again, everyone was very accommodating and helpful and I was very fortunate.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:10:31 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
   Steve ,  FYI  I like the way I hit my corners. ( opinions vary).

John, I like the way I hit my corners also. But the plane doesn't....and apparently, neither do the judges.  :-[ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »

Several years ago I was flying at a Beaumont Texas fun fly and could not stop my plane from "hunting" had several good modelers looking for the problem to no avail.
  After I got home and looked through the lead outs I saw the front line "sawing" through the foam, when I cleared the problem the "hunting" went away.

Hope that this helps, and good luck... H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »
Urban legend says that getting notoriety on the cover of SI (Sports Illustrated) is a jinx.  Does that apply to notice on threads in SH as well?  Perhaps not ready to "Emerge."  Well, here is the “Rest of the Story,” as Paul Harvey would say.  At the beginning, or Genesis.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »
The leadout was freed from the foam web, and the channel cleared a bit with limited success.  It became apparent looking down the lead tunnel that the entire lead could rub at the end of bellcrank throw and the bellcrank arm pivoted into the foam web.  A leadout move forward one space solved that and didn’t seem to hurt trim, at least in reasonable wind.  In addition, I returned the elevator horn position up about 1/16” which still left F/E at about 1/1.  The plane again flew well and I enjoyed a few days of flying.  Then the next leadout problem surfaced.  I am not sure how these are linked, but I could not see the unraveling as I fixed the rub described above.  It is easily visualized now if I put the lead back in the leading edge, but perhaps it had not really unraveled yet, just popped a strand or two. I took off and as the plane reached speed, about 1/2 lap I felt a little catch in the handle.  I also made a new handle and clip, so thought something was wrong there.  I drifted up to about 6 – 8 feet and checked the clips at the handle, and then “pop” and crash.  No more leadout rub!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:59:23 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
Genesis nose
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
Leading edge accordion'd
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
Battery

Fred

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »
Maybe surgeon could of fixed it............ S?P

So sorry I just had too......... >:D
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
It now needs a surgeon from a MASH trauma unit.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:31:33 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
Or a "Plastic surgeon" since it was covered in plastic :)
Fred

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »
Fred,
I know your pain!  Looks real familiar.  Sorry for your loss.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
Another beautiful plane bites the dust.  So sad.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
Battery

I had a battery like that,, at the NATS,, but it wasnt in the plane when it happend,,
sorry to hear about loosing the Genesis,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here