News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Richard Lopez  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Richard Lopez
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:26:42 AM »
Rich Lopez died today after an eleven-year bout with cancer.  He was one of the greatest men I have known.  He was a long-time model aviation leader, combat competitor and magazine columnist.  He would come to my house every year for the Bladder Grabber.  We started each day with ritual music: first I'm Bad Like Jesse James by John Lee Hooker, then some gospel, then Sympathy for the Devil.  He would quote John Lee throughout the weekend, particularly before his matches.

Rich made a great contribution to the world in his professional life.  He organized and taught in inner-city Los Angeles schools.  His last job was principal of the third-largest grade school in LA (it had 18 kindergarten classes!).  He was bilingual in English and Spanish, and he learned other languages so he could talk to other immigrant kids.  During our combat matches he delighted in cussing me in Tagalog and Gaelic. 

Rich was the US team manager at the 2008 world championships.  When one of our team flew, Rich would stand by the circle waving an American flag.  When a Californian flew, he would wave a California flag in the other hand.  I was his assistant, which was easy, because Rich did all the work.  I had to invent jobs to do before he thought of them and did them himself.  He went to all the control line world championships for the last several cycles in various capacities.  He was on the US combat team in 1990. Last year he was a pit crew for the New Zealand combat team.  For the opening ceremony he wore the New Zealand uniform and marched with their team and lent his American flag to our team.

Although his illness finally got him, it had a hard time doing so. He had surgery to remove most of his tongue and throat the week after he ran an F2D Fast contest for world champs contestants after the 2004 Muncie contest.  He drove himself to radiation therapy, relearned how to eat and talk, then went back to work and flying combat.  He rode his bicycle 30 miles a day.  He flew every weekend at Whittier Narrows and recently went to a contest in Europe.  He intended to go to the 2016 world champs in Australia, but declined to volunteer as team manager. I guess he suspected he wouldn't be able to go. 

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Richard Lopez
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:25 AM »
I met Rich in Muncie ..... nice guy....
He'll be missed!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:07 AM »
Baron von Lopez will be missed for sure by the C/L world in  general. All who attended world champs knew and liked Rich, and if you'll excuse the pun.....we are 'Richer" for having known him! What a nice guy with such a good sense of humour. Our condolences from here in Darkest Africa to his family and friends.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »
I remember a couple of harsh matches with him in the 1984 (preliminary) WC and the 1986 Bladder Grabber.  Richard was always an all-out competitor.

I think he designed the Matador and  the Firefly for Midwest.
Paul Smith

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »
I don't think I can say enough good things about Rich.  Even with his troubles he was always upbeat, very positive and great to talk to.......
He will be missed by all who knew him.
RW

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
I'm certain my OFB (old flying buddy) Don Repp will be devastated. He spoke of Rich very often, and I think must have flown with him a lot. Don has always spoke of Rich in such a positive manner, I wish I would have known him.
A big loss to the C/L and especially the combat community.

Condolences all.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
Another legend left us too early.  I don't think I ever got to know him that well except through the articles he wrote and designs he published.  Thanks for posting Howard.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Rich Lopez died today after an eleven-year bout with cancer.  He was one of the greatest men I have known.  He was a long-time model aviation leader, combat competitor and magazine columnist.  He would come to my house every year for the Bladder Grabber.  We started each day with ritual music: first I'm Bad Like Jesse James by John Lee Hooker, then some gospel, then Sympathy for the Devil.  He would quote John Lee throughout the weekend, particularly before his matches.

That's really a shame, I didn't even know about his illness, but I hadn't seen him in years. I did not know him real well but he was definitely one of the good guys and you could tell he was a good guy in about 30 seconds. He even tried to pull the reverse Dirty Dan trick on me -

Von Lopez" "Hi, I am Dirty Dan Rutherford"
BWB -  "Well, I wouldn't go around bragging about that if I were you"

Same with the Dirt:

Dirt; "Hi, I am Rich Von Lopez"
BWB: "My God, you have really let yourself go!"

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Sorry to learn about this.  Met him briefly when in I flew at Whittier Narrows, years ago.  'Von' Lopez was among the nicest people there.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
Another good guy gone!  Very sad!

I never had the pleasure of meeting Rich but read his columns in the Mags with great interest always.

A true contributor to our Hobby!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here