News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We ost our flying field today!!!!  (Read 4146 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
We ost our flying field today!!!!
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
     Hi All:

Our club the HAMS, lost our flying field today.  It only took ONE "lady" to complain about the noise!

There was nothing that we could do!

Now to find another site????????????????????

A sad day for all!

Be well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: We ost our flying field today!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about it.  I hope you find a spot.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
Why not propose an electric only field?

MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
Where do you live and is there an official noise ordanance?  Who made the decision that you could not fly was it just a police officer or was it the city council.

Too many people run scared from situations like this!  Don't!  Stand up for your rights...if you have any.

Contact your local parks department for a possible replacement from them.  They have money for recreation provided by taxpayers.  Try to get your share.  Sell the sport as one that is good for the community in terms of outside money potentially brought into the area.

Tractor trailor trucks make much more noise than most of our models.  Some people just can't stand to see others having fun.

Whatever you do...Don't cave in and give up.

The Cholla Choppers lost their flying field to a golf course 50 years ago and did essentially what I said above.  We now have one of the finest flying field in the country provided by the Tucson Parks and Recreation Department.

Contact the local news agencies and see if you can get them on you side.  One of our members was a local talk radio morning show host and his efforts were very important to getting and keeping our field.  Publicity is good!

Also sell the AMA insurance angle (Site Insurance)...very important.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
I agree with both Randy and Motorman-

I'd try to get the field reinstated. It should not be that easy to get outed by one person.

If that doesn't work, then I would work the electric only angle.

Sorry to hear this.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
Where do you live and is there an official noise ordanance?  Who made the decision that you could not fly was it just a police officer or was it the city council.

Too many people run scared from situations like this!  Don't!  Stand up for your rights...if you have any.

Contact your local parks department for a possible replacement from them.  They have money for recreation provided by taxpayers.  Try to get your share.  Sell the sport as one that is good for the community in terms of outside money potentially brought into the area.

Tractor trailor trucks make much more noise than most of our models.  Some people just can't stand to see others having fun.

Whatever you do...Don't cave in and give up.

The Cholla Choppers lost their flying field to a golf course 50 years ago and did essentially what I said above.  We now have one of the finest flying field in the country provided by the Tucson Parks and Recreation Department.

Contact the local news agencies and see if you can get them on you side.  One of our members was a local talk radio morning show host and his efforts were very important to getting and keeping our field.  Publicity is good!

Also sell the AMA insurance angle (Site Insurance)...very important.

Randy Cuberly

^^^This!^^^ Also are you paying dues or fee?, do you have a contract? Make some phone calls!! y1

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
Oh yeah,
I forgot one thing...Contact the AMA and seek their help.  They probably won't do anything directly but they have experts that have been through this situation many times and can make a lot of good suggestions on how to attack the problem!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 05:13:55 AM »
     Hello All:

Thanks for all of the comments.

The person who complained first called the police who came to investigate the noise complaint.  The cop arrived observed me and another chap flying and I gave him a demo of how loud the OS .35S was with a 703 muffler. He thought that there was no noise problem.  He also stated that there was no noise restriction laws and we were doing nothing wrong. 

The "lady" then went to the superintendent of parks with her complaint.  He then issued an order that we would not be permitted to use the area.  End of story!!!!

The bright side of this saga is that the township has offered us a place to fly.  This is a field that was once a soccer pitch that is now abandoned due to the grass needing to replaced.  After the grass has been repaired, I can guess what will take place on this soccer pitch! I have also heard that this site is not being used due to the fact that it is an old government  toxic waste dump site that is unfit for any use. Lol That is what they think of us? Lol

Thirty years ago, we developed a flying site from a barren field, in the same township, and after the field was in great shape, the Little League decided that they wanted it for a new field.  Guess what? We were removed and it was converted into a LL field!

In any case, thanks again for the comments!  I like the newspaper idea!!! Public officials do not like to have negative news coverage.  How can the demands of one person dictate the actions of 18 other people? I have been told that this is the way it is nowadays but I say bs.! However, some will say that we should keep quiet and enjoy what we have and don't make waves.  I will run this by our club members but I think that I know their thoughts will be!

The sad truth is that out of all of our club membership, there are no active members who live or VOTE in this township! But???? 

Electric flight? I think that it is out of the question for all of us old timers!

Comments?

Thanks so very much for listening,

Frank McCune,

What do we want? Our flying field!

When do we want it? Now!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Frank,

I drive 20 miles in one direction to get to the field we use.

I'm sure you could find a field within a reasonable distance.

Possibly a guy with a drone could help.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
     Hi Charles:

It was a 40 mile drive for me to get to our old field.  Our other field is at least 53 miles from me. It is a real slow drive due to all of the traffic.  I am looking at about two hours to drive 53 miles.  The 40 mile drive took an hour.

I am attempting to hang on to a site about .7 miles from my house but knowing the mentality of the people who live near me, this will not be allowed!  The site is free from houses and is very isolated. 

I am looking to get a local church youth group who are currently building and flying HLG to join me at my field.  Perhaps I can recruit some young AMA members!

Be well my friend,

Frank 

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 07:45:08 AM »
Heh, heh. Get Guido to pay her a nice visit. I'm sure he can reason with her. LL~

Make her an offer she can't refuse?

Good luck with this, Frank. I know what it's like. I used to belong to the Tampa Police Pistol and Rifle club. The range was at the north end of Tampa bay and all of the 2-3 miles down range was absolutely the worst swampland in the region. stinks to high heaven and still does. I think the range was founded in about 1904. Well, some developer bought that swamp land, ran a causeway through it and built some homes about a mile away. The range was shut down forever within a year. Never to be replaced.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:44 AM »
 Frank wrote: "Electric flight? I think that it is out of the question for all of us old timers!"

Why is that, Frank? I'm 67 (nearly 68...) and have switched to electric flight, along with many of my flying buddies who are as old or older than I am. We have secured a wonderful flying field right in the middle of a small NJ town. The field is surrounded by private homes. We often fly there starting at 7AM, and have not had one complaint in more than three years of flying at that venue. In fact, the field is directly adjacent to the main road through the town, and many have stopped to watch us fly. Many have also commented on the noise, or lack thereof, and how enjoyable it is to watch our planes fly without the noise.

Many older visitors to our field who used to fly models have become re-interested, and I'm certain we'll get a few returnees to the hobby/sport.

If your argument (reason?) for not switching from glow to electric is one of, "I like the noise and I like the smell," then there is nothing that I can suggest that will help. I, and my buddies, like to fly model airplanes; we don't give a darn if the power source is glow, electric, steam, nuclear, or two chipmunks on a turntable spinning the prop; if it keeps us our field and provides the same or better performance for the plane, we are a happy crew. Really, is this hobby/sport about the type of power source, or is it about having fun flying our favorite plane? Let's not get to the point where we "throw the baby out with the glow fuel."

Later - Bob Hunt

PS: Since switching to electric power I have found several fields near my home to fly on that would never have been usable if I tried to fly there with glow power. It's not that I'm so much in love with electric, it's that I'm in love with flying. B.H.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:35:09 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »
Amen, Bob.
Flying doesn't have to be noisy, and if that is the single reason that you've been run off your ideal flying site, its a pretty easy fix, I think.
And  you can keep your original site...

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
Frank,

You might try some of the Indusrtial Park areas?

Some have large parking lots.

A parking lot that has a few buildings around it keeps the noise down, so a parking lot like that could possibly work even if it is in an area that is argely populated.

Might be worth the try.

Google earth might help save driving time.

Good luck.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »
Just keep flying there. If someone comes out just act dumb. Did you originally get permission from the superintendent of parks (rake man)? He's a nobody that's why one complaining woman scares him, go over his head to the city counsel. Try and talk to individual members before the city counsel meeting.

MM

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »
Sorry about your field.  We got lucky finding city property that they can't afford to develop or maintain for the near future that is out in the boonies.  The time is coming we'll all be looking to move to Muncie or Tucson.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
Not if the ole boy keeps growing crops around us.  Any way I hope we can keep the field and get some newbies coming out.  What is sad is Topeka KS losing their field to a water theme park  Seems the city and countyjoined forces and put the county in charge.   County the field is not making money to put in some politicians pocket.  Also it seems the media is on the side of the county.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »
     I am looking to get a local church youth group who are currently building and flying HLG to join me at my field.  Perhaps I can recruit some young AMA members!

I know you're anti-electric, but you can build a 1/2-A sized airframe with one sheet of dollar-store foam and about $5 worth of bellcrank and wheels.  Of course, it takes about $70 worth of cheap Chinese stuff to end up with a complete flying system (less if you already have a battery charger), but you could coach kids through building the airframe, then bolt on your motor, then fly, then take your stuff off of it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
Can you egg her house? It won't get the field back but you will feel better....!
Steve

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
IDK if you're going to lose your flying field a water park is not a bad way to go.

MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
Noise is often just an excuse to use to stop people from using a perticular place.  I'd be willing to bet that this old lady has an ulterior motive for complaining.  Check closely and you'll probably find that she belongs to some group that wants to use the land for some other purpose.  We went through that exact situation some time back with a Dog Club that wanted our area to hold dog training and dog shows.  Fortunately our position and history with the parks department trumped their complaints.

I agree with Motorman you should not back down from this situation without a fight.  Go to the City council and the local paper and radio stations and complain about the Lady dominating the parks department with NO LEGAL standing!  Buddy-Buddy situation.  Mention tax payers and democracy etc.

If something like this is the reason going electric will not solve the problem she'll simply complain about the safety of the situation or some other made up reasons.  People hear chain saws, lawn mowers, big trucks, Tractors etc and don't bother to complain.  They simply see a couple of guys using something they covet and noise is the first thing they grab because the argument is simple.  There could even be a little colusion between the lady and the park manager.  You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.  Dig and you will find.

Don't give up.  Consider that you and you friends have just as much right to something as the old lady...more if she is just an old crab!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
For what it's worth I'll tell you how I found our field.  Greater KC is made up of 10 or 12 smaller townships.  I used Google maps to look at those near me from the birds eye.  Park lands are in green on those maps.  When I found something that had potential I'd add it to a list.  Then each lunch hour I'd drive out and get a look.  When I found the right place I made an appointment with the park director in that township and took an airplane,  pictures, AMA insurance info to the meeting.  We had to be willing to do the work- not just ask for gifts and services.  You might also look at zoning maps and the city development project map.  Good luck!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here