News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plastic Slant Clunk tank set up (Brett please see latest)  (Read 3426 times)

Walter Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
Plastic Slant Clunk tank set up (Brett please see latest)
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
I need a 7 oz tank and this is the only one that will fit in my tank compartment. My question is how can I determine the pickup location
on this type of tank it needs to be lower than the center to the tank about where the seamless is stamped in the tank

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:31:44 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Plastic Slant Clunk tank pickup location Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
Pickup or vent?  I place the pickup tube so that the clunk will reach both outboard rear corners of the tank if I can, or so it gets equally close if I can't.  That usually requires some coaching.

Post a picture of the tank in the plane?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
You can see the front of the tank in the plane as the tank is enclosed in a box

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
I need a 7 oz tank and this is the only one that will fit in my tank compartment. My question is how can I determine the pickup location
on this type of tank it needs to be lower than the center to the tank about where the seamless is stamped

I don't really understand the question, but...

The pickup just moves around under acceleration, so the average pickup location is the center of the tank, and on suction, that's how it operates in terms of vertical location. If you can't move the tank, make it a uniflow with a rigid vent, and then rotate it up or down by twisting it in the stopper to adjust the run.

Brett

Walter Hicks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »
Brett Thanks for the reply. Let rephrase the question. I have used clunk tanks with the tubes out the front of the tank I would line up
the pickup with the NV and rotate the Uniflow to adjust run. This has the tubes out of the tank at a 45 degree angle so I was asking if this was different . I think I have my answer I will post a picture of how I set it up.:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:27:26 PM by Walter Hicks »

Walter Hicks

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »
Brett please see my previous post with three added pictures. After research I think that the solution was to bend the pickup tube parallel to the top and bottom of the tank , I set this up with stationary unflow tube which i routed to the inside of the tank. Please take a look
and verify if this is what you are saying. Thanks so much for your help. I have a new K77 engine ( PA 75 clone from Kaz) and it needs 7oz + fuel.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Plastic Slant Clunk tank set up (Brett please see latest)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
If that's your uniflow vent going into the dimple in the "top" of the tank then it's going to uncover earlier in the flight than if it were in the back of the tank -- but the general arrangement looks good to me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
The uniflo vent is to the inside of the tank the overflow is in the bubble (top of tank)

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
That bent into the bubble yank is the tank everyone from Texas uses and was the tank I used with the Saito.  Everyone uses pressure with that tank.   I believe Kaz advises pressure with his motor.   So I would try what you have.   You want the clunk about 3/16 from the rear.   The floppier the tubing the better

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:57 AM »
The uniflo vent is to the inside of the tank the overflow is in the bubble (top of tank)

Then you fly clockwise.  Or that's not a uniflow tube.  Or you're going to find your tank acting strangely when you go to use it.  Because with the location of the overflow and the pickup, that middle picture looks like what I'd want to see from the inside of the circle -- except that your "uniflow" is to the inside.

Now, if you just want a vent tank, no uniflow, then what you have should work fine.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »

I am having a bit of trouble seeing what you are doing, but as noted, the uniflow vent has to be to the outboard side of the circle, up against the outboard wall of the tank. Which way does the tank fit in the airplane, with the tubes aimed up or down?

Brett

Walter Hicks

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
Tank sits in plane with tubes in the tank pointing down. as in picture #2 , bubble on top which is the overflow. pickup to the outside of plane uniflow tube to inside  of plane as in picture #2. So I have the uniflow tube pointing the wrong way If I understand you it should be to the outside of the plane same as pickup tube?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Tank sits in plane with tubes in the tank pointing down. as in picture #2 , bubble on top which is the overflow. pickup to the outside of plane uniflow tube to inside  of plane as in picture #2. So I have the uniflow tube pointing the wrong way If I understand you it should be to the outside of the plane same as pickup tube?

Yes.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »

Yes.  You want the uniflow tube to be covered in fuel for as much of the flight as possible -- that's what makes it a uniflow vent, and not just a plain ol' ordinary vent.
AMA 64232

Walter Hicks

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
Brett thank you for your time and answering my question

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
Brett thank you for your time and answering my question

You are quite welcome. I am interested in how the new engine runs. Kaz definitely knows what he is doing.

Brett

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Thank you again Brett, I installed the tank last night and flew the plane today with it . I got it pretty close. .2 second faster inverted.
I may move the uniflow a very small amount but have to take the tank out to do that .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here