News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model Aviation  (Read 2503 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Model Aviation
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
WOW!!!  Two major articles on control-line in the current issue of Model Aviation.    #^     n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Model Aviation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »
Also check out the inside back cover, an interview with Frank Beatty

also check out the focal point, two CL stunt models there also

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
HHmmmmmm...

Another bone for the poor dogs!   LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Well say what you will, I'm here to say that Jay Smith, Editor of MA walked the walk and went beyond what I was lead to expect!

After the thread here on Stunt Hanger last Spring complaining about lack of control line coverage, I emailed him on May 26th. I thanked him for past coverage and asked if he would be interested in an article about the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.

He emailed back on May 31st and said the he would be happy to look at such an article. I told him that it would have to be in the August or September issue (before this year's event) or I would submit one after the fact reporting on the results. Jay replied that if I could get him a draft by June 10th the article could be a feature in the September issue. I burned some midnight oil and came up with a draft of 3645 words by the deadline. Jay personally edited that draft cutting it down to 2000 words. We got some photos together and the layout folks did the rest. Clancy Arnold tells me that his feature articles in Model Aviation have taken 1 to 2 years to make it into print!

I think that we need to stop bellyaching and send him some drafts of articles that would be of interest not only to control line fliers but other modelers as well.

Other than misspelling my name in the table of contents  HB~> I have no complaints about my article and I feel a debt of gratitude to Jay Smith for his editing skills and his helping promote control line modeling via my article!

John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »
Well say what you will, I'm here to say that Jay Smith, Editor of MA walked the walk and went beyond what I was lead to expect!

After the thread here on Stunt Hanger last Spring complaining about lack of control line coverage, I emailed him on May 26th. I thanked him for past coverage and asked if he would be interested in an article about the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.

He emailed back on May 31st and said the he would be happy to look at such an article. I told him that it would have to be in the August or September issue (before this year's event) or I would submit one after the fact reporting on the results. Jay replied that if I could get him a draft by June 10th the article could be a feature in the September issue. I burned some midnight oil and came up with a draft of 3645 words by the deadline. Jay personally edited that draft cutting it down to 2000 words. We got some photos together and the layout folks did the rest. Clancy Arnold tells me that his feature articles in Model Aviation have taken 1 to 2 years to make it into print!

I think that we need to stop bellyaching and send him some drafts of articles that would be of interest not only to control line fliers but other modelers as well.

Other than misspelling my name in the table of contents  HB~> I have no complaints about my article and I feel a debt of gratitude to Jay Smith for his editing skills and his helping promote control line modeling via my article!

Amen. If your not up to writing an article send photos if your projects into "focal point", I've had two planes published in two years.

Jim

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »
I too like that there is some more CL coverage.
Bet there would be more posts on here if there was not any coverage on CL in the Model Aviation Mag fro what I have seen in the past.
I'll embrace this.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »

Hooray for MA!  Time for another "attaboy" email to them from me!  How 'bout you?

<<< BRAG MODE: ON >>>>

Check out the pic, lower left page 39...

That's our PREZ (Tulsa C/L Gluedobbers) Joe Gilbert putting his Ringmaster through its paces... and that superb pic was by fellow 'Dobber Elwyn Aud!!  H^^

#^

<<< BRAG MODE: OFF >>>>

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
I wrote the article that was in the June issue covering CL scale models and I proposed that article to Jay it got printed. So if you have an idea send him the idea, get some great pictures and let's tell our story.

Send stuff to the district VP's, people who write the CL columns, focal point or propose feature articles. If we don't speak up with ideas or material it can't get printed!

I got some material 3 days before my deadline for the Oct CL scale column, those pictures and material will be printed in the Oct issue. Send contest results or pictures of your latest projects and let's see what happens.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Ron,

I apologize for misspelling your name but here is what I have already sent to Jay Smith at AMA.

Jay Smith,

I want to congratulate you on the September 2015 edition on Model Aviation. While your editorial makes no mention of it, this issue has remembered control line flying which is increasingly popular again.

The "Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon" written by John Crally, started by Joey Mathison,then expanded by Dee Rice and Dave Gresens is now an International "Happening".

Like many of us I started with a Ringmaster, and my son also learned the basics flying a Ringmaster. Seeing all the new varitions is very exciting.

Add to this, two control line airplanes in the Focal Point and then Bob Hunt's superb CL Aerobatics column,and last but not the article about Frank Beatty,  this issue a keeper.

Tom Niebuhr
7173 FM 1377
Blue Ridge, TX, 75424
469-487-1256
(m) 469-450-7093
AMA 7544
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:07:12 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
I was floored by the current issue of MA as well! I intend to send of a thank you note to Jay expressing my happy surprise and gratitude! I did this with the prior UC MA issue and received an acknowledgement from him promptly! Must be the possibility of a more proactive leadership toward Control Line at AMA. In addition I re-upped my dues for two full years at the current rate with gratitude! Fixed Income don't you know!

I truly enjoyed the Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon article as that plane was my first "Big Model" back in the day! Although the covering had a big wrinkle in the top( it was my first venture into Silk Span) I thought it was the most beautiful creation ever!

Thanks,

Phil Spillman     
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here