News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smokey air  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Don Chandler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Smokey air
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
Does smoke in the air effect the peformance of a stunt engine, and  if so, what would the symptoms be?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Smokey air
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
If you're upright and breathing then I suspect your engine will be, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »
Just trying to narrow down some problems I have been having flying here in North Calif. this summer. All my engines are sputtering and losing power overhead and in outside manuevers. Not a problem untill this summer. The only common denomanator I can think of is the smoky air here this summer.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »

I'd highly doubt that it has anything to do with whatever smoke is in the air, at least the stuff the airplane is inhaling.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »
I'll say it. Fuel is a much more likely source of the problem.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:37 AM »
Or a lean sag in the Summer heat if the engines are overheating. When it got hot here, I had to cut some more cooling vents in one of mine. A little more nitro might cool it off if running richer isn't an option. I agree with the others, the amount of smoke it inhales is so miniscule I don't imagine it being a problem.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
Or a lean sag in the Summer heat if the engines are overheating. When it got hot here, I had to cut some more cooling vents in one of mine. A little more nitro might cool it off if running richer isn't an option. I agree with the others, the amount of smoke it inhales is so miniscule I don't imagine it being a problem.
Rusty

I think Don is referring to a recent issue. In his area, 100+ highs are very common in the summer, and I know his engine ran pretty well a few weeks ago when it was about 104. So I doubt it is merely heat, meaning the smoke is a reasonable question.

However, I don't think so. I would be looking into a fuel issue. His engine seemed *very unhappy* last Sunday. For at least one flight, the issue was pretty clear, muffler issue, but it was running *very squirrely*. Without examining the entire system in person, I would be inclined to find some known-good fuel, replace the glow plug, clean out the entire system from tank to NVA, replace the fuel filter, THEN see what happens.

Interestingly, I had my first significant engine problem in many years this weekend at the same contest Don had all his issues. My glow plug went open. I hadn't had an outright plug failure in maybe 30 years. I have had taters, excess frosting, and performance loss,  but not an electrical failure where it would not glow. Even more interesting, it wasn't failed on the open end where it normally does, it was right where the element goes into the electrode. It was moderately frosted with a typical small brown spot near the weld (where it doesn't get so hot) and I picked up some power when replacing it (after about two years), but nothing extraordinary.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here