« on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
Blank
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 01:48:53 PM by Air Master »

Offline Glenn Quarles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Skin Cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
Many times Rusty and it is not a big deal at all! Do you know what kind of cancer it is?

Glenn
Live in such a way that those who know you, but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
I am sure at least one third of the older guys on here have been through it many times. I have had it at least 12 times and many on my face. The surgical mark should be almost invisible after six months. I had one very bad spot on my ear fifteen years ago and lost part of it in surgery. That was  very dangerous and I was one of the lucky ones as it moves on to brain cancer many times.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
I've had a total of three removed from my face and ears and one from the top of my shoulder.  Just basil cell that grow very slow, but still not fun and always a little scarey!

My friend and buddy Mike Keville had a very serious session of surgeries several years ago on his nose for skin cancer.  He still comes out to see us once in a while but stays out of the sun.  We all really miss him and his stunt judging skills.

Sorry you're having problems, but the surgical techniques today will make everything right...best of luck!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
Rusty
I've had several MOHS surgeries.  They cut and then real time check the edges for cancer cells as you wait.   One was between by nose and eye, they came back several times to trim a bit more, a little scary.  I've had several on my back and shoulders.  Actually, I've got one scheduled in a couple of weeks for a spot on my arm.  The medical technology today is amazing, you'll be fine.
Frank 

Jim Roselle

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
I went through it about a year ago.  The MOHs scared the hell out of me.  Spot on the side of my nose required a skin graft from the side of my face right next to my ear. Can't even see it now unless your looking for it and it was damn near the size of a quarter. Wasn't worth all the worry I put  into it. Follow the doctors after care instructions and you'll be fine.

Jim

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
You should come out fine after plastic surgery. I had the MOHS procedure to remove the same type of carcinoma from the bridge of my nose. To repair the divot left by tissue removal the plastic surgeon pulled skin down from somewhere nearby and stitched it in place. It was ugly for a few months but now, 10 years on, the scar is barely visible. Beats the heck out of having untreated cancer, so I don't see any better course of action. I used the post-op picture on my Christmas card that year. One odd thing is that when I touch the bridge of my nose I feel it in my forehead by the eyebrow.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
No big deal at all. I have had 3 removed so far. Once you have had one your chances increase for more. I go in every other month for a session of freezing off pre cancerous spots. That hurts worse than having them cut out. The worse thing that you could possibly do is to pretend their not there and have nothing done about them. The sooner the better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:03:43 PM by Bill Morell »
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
I had a basal cell carcinoma removed some years ago. It was above my right ear, well covered with hair and hat. Makes no sense, but it is what it is. I knew I had an itchy/scaly place there, and asked my barber about it. She said "Yeah, that looks like a basal cell carcinoma."  And she was right.

I'm going for surgery on Sept. 8 to have a melanoma removed at the top of my belly and a basal cell carcinoma removed in my left sideburn. Local anesthetic, drive myself there and back, etc. I have/had another BCC on my right elbow, but they think they got it already while doing the biopsy. If not, we'll take another look in a few months. Classic itchy/scaly, never healing sort of thing. I also have a cyst in my right cheek that needs to go. I'll get a "twofer" deal, I'm sure!  

Here, at least, it looks like the Dermatologist will use a laser scalpel to remove the tissue sample for biopsy, but a "Plastic Surgeon" does all the real surgery, regardless of where the problem is. A laser scalpel cuts and cauterizes, so no bleeding; slap a Band-Aid on it and hit the trail.  

I have wondered if a laser scalpel would be useful for model building, and Googled them. All seemed to be made in China and still expensive. At this point, I don't even know what one looks like, but I'll ask next time.

Otherwise, I am looking at buying a "Buff"...see Bass Pro Shops catalog online. They run about $25 and come in fishy and camo sort of patterns. You pull it over your head and have many options for use.  http://www.basspro.com/UV-Buff-Headwear/product/97319/  I think this one would work well, especially if flying a Shark 45.  y1  Steve
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:27:50 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Jim Roselle

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »
Jim, that is about what I have.  The dermatologist didn't sound convincing to me when he mentioned getting skin from behind my ear, so I went to a plastic surgeon.  He said he will "pull" some skin from under my eye by making an incision there to "loosen" it up.  He said that is much better than transplanting from another area and less chance of infection.

I am just worried I will look Michael Jackson. 

So here's what mine looks like 1 year out, the light spot on my nose is what was removed. Th e second photo is of the skin graft taken from between my sideburns and ear.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:21 PM »
Depending on the severity of your situation, MOHS surgery is not as benign as some would believe.  As mentioned above by Randy Cuberly, my nose endured SEVEN separate excisions in one day several years ago, resulting in not much left but a bloody stump.  It was squamous cell cancer, the one between basal cell and melanoma.

Cosmetic surgery (different doctor, hospital overnight) consisted of skin graft removed from the scalp & forehead, tacked to the bridge of the nose - covered of course by a huge bandage - and a four-week wait for it to be unrolled and stitched on.  Not a lot of fun...and very expensive.  

Since then, I've had basal cells removed by MOHS from the left ear and left arm.  Semi-yearly visits to freeze off pre-cancerous spots (actinic keratosis), with the next check coming up end-Sept.

All of this probably stems from 10 years sun exposure in Saudi Arabia & Kuwait, plus 20 years Free Flight experience....all without any SPF protection.  (DUMB!)

RUSTY:  Saw your latest post.  Skin cancer issues now definitely seem like a minor issue.  Prayers are with you and your son.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
I have had 5 skin cancers taken off of my face over the years. One in the hospital the others right in the office. In and out in no time.

Don

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »
Hey Rusty:

Best of luck.  I just checked the Wikipedia page on the stuff and it looks like melanoma = worry, other stuff = relax.  You've got "other stuff", which is nice to know.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »
A lot of the lesions we are seeing now were from exposure long ago.  But that doesn't mean you should continue to expose yourself.  Use sunscreen, wear big wide brim hats, forget shorts, wear full length pants, and start wearing sunproof shirts.  SPF 30 Minimum for sunscreen and shirts.  Amazon has these shirts listed and you'll also find a huge selection at outdoor sporting goods stores like Cabella's, Dicks, Field and Stream, etc.  Regular tee shirts and others aren't sunproof.

I had many spots of Basil cancer removed, then last year a spot of Melanoma on my back.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
I have had a basel cell on my face in 1987 and melenoma on my arm 3 years ago. MOHS surgery is pretty good. It took 4 rounds of cutting and cauterizing on my left cheek in 1987.
I am now vigilant with sunscreen and often look like a Kubuki dancer)))))
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »
Good luck with the procedure, Rusty! Time to build something while staying out of the Sun when on the mend!
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

John Leidle

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:42 AM »
 At Muncie I'm known as the guy that looks like a Mime because I  lay the 100 Sun Block on so thick & wear long pants , long sleeved shirt. I went through a different form of Cancer a while back & going in for this & that is time consuming let alone dam expensive,, 2 nights in the Everett Providence = $60,000.00 That would make a down payment on a new Corvette.. so I have covered up since 1987 when the Skin Dr told me to cover up my boys ...
   John
 PS  The modern Cancer treatments are pretty slick compared to 25 years ago.

Online John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
At Muncie I'm known as the guy that looks like a Mime because I  lay the 100 Sun Block on so thick & wear long pants , long sleeved shirt. I went through a different form of Cancer a while back & going in for this & that is time consuming let alone dam expensive,, 2 nights in the Everett Providence = $60,000.00 That would make a down payment on a new Corvette.. so I have covered up since 1987 when the Skin Dr told me to cover up my boys ...
   John
 PS  The modern Cancer treatments are pretty slick compared to 25 years ago.
They certainly are!  Last year, my wife and I took her infirm and barely-mobile 95-year-old mother to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from near her right eye.  She'd been ignoring it for years and it was the size of one of your silver dollars.  Total time in the hospital (Frimley Park, one of the best National Health Service hospitals in England) was under four hours, and within a few weeks you wouldn't have known she'd had anything there at all.  She's now 96 and still going strong.

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

John Leidle

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
   My error.....  1 night in the Providence Hotel   = $60,000.00

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here