News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plastic Model Kits  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Tony Drago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Plastic Model Kits
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
 Was wondering if anyone still builds Plastic aircraft model kits.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Plastic Model Kits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
My son Samuel and I have done 5 WWII Warbirds in the last year, nothing fancy just the $10 or $15 ones from Hobby Lobby. Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
I use the plastic kits for scale detail, gives you a good idea of contours and shapes. also has colors and markings, great source of information when you are building a larger balsa model

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Matt Neumann

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
I have done a bunch over the past probably 35 years or so.  I still have a TON of kits that I picked up cheap over the years.  Finished up several over the last building season.  Still have 3 on the building table.  True they are Sci Fi models but still plastic ones.  Hope to finish those up this year along with a new Enterprise flying plane.
Matt Neumann

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
Tony, I took on a project a year ago that I almost regret, but the short answer is "Heck yes!"

I was contacted by an estate and agreed to sell a collection of about 2,000 airliner kits through my eBay store and other avenues.  Well, it looks like we'll end up with more than 2,500 kits, perhaps 1,000 books, and thousands and thousands of decal sets and postcards.  (Which explains in part why I've had a total of about 10 minutes to build in the last year!)  :) :) :)

The market for these things is tremendous!  I've sold to modelers all over the globe, and the top book and kit prices have been over $200 for an individual item.  Since these definitely aren't my forte, I've located some airliner and plastic model groups, and the pictures I see of models being completed portray nothing less than works of art ...

The enthusiast who left these behind was totally into detail.  He actually designed several of the decal sets that have been marketed, and it's not at all unusual to open a kit for an airliner and find his notes indicating that "X" airline flew "Y" aircraft with "Z" registration number and bearing "X" color scheme from date "A" to date "B".  Wow!

I'm renting 2 large storage units and have a garage full.  Got so overwhelmed that I've not listed items for several weeks, and am spending time with my 12-year-old son's summer vacation, getting better organized, and building a new computer.

When I've had even a relatively small portion of the inventory listed, it's not unusual to sell 30-40 items per day.

So, yes - I’m not building them, but there sure are a lot of modelers worldwide who are!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »
I started collecting kits to build about 5 years ago or so. I think I have upwards of 40 so far. For some reason, I decided on 1:72. Now I'm wondering if my eyesight and hands will be up to that small of a scale when I do get started building.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Yes, I build a few plastic models when not building stunt planes!

Steve

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
Yes, I do...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Yes, I build a few plastic models when not building stunt planes!

Wow Steve that's excellent.  I've collected a bunch of plastic over the years mostly for use as mentioned above for scale reference if and when I ever find the time or energy to build a scale airplane.  I really want to build a B25J and have collected a bunch of data etc, but have too many other projects...I will probably never live long enough to build even 10% of the projects I have planned!!!

Guess that makes me some kind of desparate whacko!   LL~ LL~

Ain't it FUN though?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
I built a bunch also. I gave them to my ex girl friends grandson. Which they hung in his  bed room. Now at three years old he can spot a airplane with the best of them.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
Just like stunt planes, its a journey building plastic models.  Just jump in and build, you have to build in order to gain skills.
Steve

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 02:12:43 AM »
Yes, still have hundreds of unbuilt kits. Most of mine are at my parents as gifts to Dad. The kids all built them, Jer's Enola Gay and B-1 hang at Mark Twain's in St. Charles, Jessica is an architect and blames it on pre-school model building, Michael is a plastic builder from way back when he was a pre-schooler too.
Chris...

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »
Heck yeah! Still love building plastic models, and so does my son Jake.
He has become quite a builder of highly detailed 1/72 aircraft models.
It's almost as much fun searching out and buying these kits. You just
never know what you'll come across in some random hobby shop or
estate sale. Here's a few of my 1/20 scale Tamiya F1 builds.

Steve

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »
 ;)  Give an eyeball to these sites and then, if you can, come to the event 18-20 September called ModelPalooza at the Wyndam Hotel in Orlando FL. There, you'll see some absolutely incredible works of skill.  I guarantee plastic modeling is very much alive and well!!   :D

1.  http://www.ipmsusa.org/
2.  http://www.ipmsorlando.com/modelpalooza.html
3.  http://www.ipmsusa2016.com/

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
I'm told in the NASCAR world model builders buy 3 copies when a new NASCAR model comes out.  One to build.  The second one is displayed in the unopened box along with the built one at model shows.  The third one is put is storage and sold when the particular kit is no longer being made.  Story has it prices go high enough to pay for the hobby.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
I'm told in the NASCAR world model builders buy 3 copies when a new NASCAR model comes out.  One to build.  The second one is displayed in the unopened box along with the built one at model shows.  The third one is put is storage and sold when the particular kit is no longer being made.  Story has it prices go high enough to pay for the hobby.
  John
You are correct. But it also carries on into the other plastic kits as well. The saying was. You / They would buy 3 kits of the same model. 1-to build, 1-keep & 1 to trade. A lot of these plastic kit collectors take their hobby very serious.
 For instance. Aurora. Collectors will collect the complete line kits plus all the new issues in the different boxes.
 It's not uncommon to see first issue kits in mint condition go for $300.00.
 As stated in an above post. Going to one of this plastic shows. Will most likely over load you brain at what's for sale. A lot of collectors will not put the asking prices on the boxes. They have a master list. As to not deface the kits.
 They are fun to go to. Sometimes you can pick up some balsa kits fairly reasonable.
  Years ago I use to bring plastic kits to VSC. Was like watching kids in a candy store going through the boxes. That's what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Having that little kid inside of us...

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm partial to new kits.  New stuff from Tamiya or Eduard is so much better than stuff from 20 or even ten years ago, you get spoiled quick.

One thing that bums me is that space models are typically lousy kits.  I did the three models in the picture for my son's 6th grade science teacher and the models about killed me with miserable fits and poor quality.  The detail oriented will notice how wrong the decals are on the Saturn V model-I don't think the manufacture was even trying by the time that kit got boxed.
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
Hi Tony,

Forty to forty five years ago I competed in the WWII airplane category of IMPS shows.  I was lucky enough to get a third place at a regional meet about 1974.  There was no resin or photo etch that we knew of at the time so everyone had to learn how to stretch sprue and scratch build detail parts.  A lot of fun at the time!  I have a couple hundred kits saved from then in 1/72nd to 1/24th scale including several Hasegawa  1/32nd and Revell of Germany 1/32nd.  I get one out every now and then build it.  No super detail now, just good paint and markings, basically Box Stock and mostly 1/72nd scale.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
Bill. That's how I build them now. Neat and clean.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
Past few years I've built & painted a few -- most notably a Curtiss P-6E and Northrop P-61.  There's a certain satisfaction in detailing these thngs, although (IMHO) nothing quite like the old solid scale models from pine and/or balsa.

Additionally, I've sold quite a few plastic kits over the years -- mostly at the VSC.  People seem to love 'em.

I still have a few left, some of them quite rare.  Interested?  Contact me.  Prices are reasonable.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 05:46:52 AM »
There are many plastic modelers who do museum quality work.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:20:40 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
Current plastic collection numbers about 900 pieces.  Sitting on the bench is a Revell 1/32 scale F-4F Phantom II to been done in a "Norm 81" Luftwaffe scheme.

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
" If its made of Plastic , or takes batteries , Dont Buy It " .  ;D I heard this somewhere 50 years ago ! .  S?P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
Thats the ' R.B. 51 ' done as a plug , from the 1/32 Hasegawa thing .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
Most of the racing canopies , again for the 1/32 Hasegawa .

You can see the cowlings redone a bit , to represent one of the more musclebound ones .
Mustve been variations D to K or plants / series ??

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:29 PM »
Theres the Miss RJ / roto finish one somewhere too . And a lot of Sabe- Hawker 1/48 stuff left .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
 I don't have any pictures but Matt Neumann is a *master* plastic modeler. He and David compared notes on various sci-fi models they have. Matt's showed me some Star Trek models at the NATs this year and they were beautiful.

Brett

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »

Plastic modeling has a big influence on my model building. I spent about a year hanging out with the IPMS guys (International Plastic Modelers Society) and have since tried to make whatever I build look like a plastic model. The 'weathered' look, to me, is what makes a model look real and stand apart from the rest. Some years back Ron Burns applied some masterful weathering to his semi scale stunters and was severely downgraded by the judges for not having a traditional, buffed out, PA look. They were some of the best looking stunters (IMHO) I had seen. (Who were those judges?)

Sorry for the editorial. That was a long time ago and it's still with me!

Ara 

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 07:04:18 AM »
Those are some outstanding finishes!  I really like the P-38.
Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »

Plastic modeling has a big influence on my model building. I spent about a year hanging out with the IPMS guys (International Plastic Modelers Society) and have since tried to make whatever I build look like a plastic model. The 'weathered' look, to me, is what makes a model look real and stand apart from the rest. Some years back Ron Burns applied some masterful weathering to his semi scale stunters and was severely downgraded by the judges for not having a traditional, buffed out, PA look. They were some of the best looking stunters (IMHO) I had seen. (Who were those judges?)

Sorry for the editorial. That was a long time ago and it's still with me!

Ara 

Ara,

Thanks for the editorial. I'd like to know how you really feel.  ;D

Your a man after my own heart, looks like we see eye to eye on Warbird finishes.

I never understood gloss on a Warbird, but one must realize that the model is a stunt model first and a rendition of a Warbird second. So, with this in mind, and back then, understandably how the judges looked at the model not having a high shine. Understandably but unfortunate at the same time.

So, poor decision making on the part of the judges and they possibly could have started a new premis but choose not to, if they gave this some thought?

Then again judges are human, well most.  LL~ Possibly favortism or jealously got in the way? That happens.

More conversations about that issue with Ron Burn's F4F could be warrented.

You should have stuck some lead out wire on those fine models, that would have been a hoot.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
Those are some outstanding finishes!  I really like the P-38.

Steve

Thanks!

An interesting story:  I cut and sanded as much on the P-38, it seems, as in building a wood model. It started as the 1/48 Revell P-38L and taken back to the 'H' mark because there were no 1/48 kits of the P-38F,G,H. The markings are of Major F.A. Nichols' P-38H, Commander and Ace of the 431st fighter squadron in the south pacific, that I came across in the Squadron Signal issue on the P-38. Or so I thought. I later on couldn't find it in that publication or anywhere else!? All reference to the pilot, rank etc. were gone. Until I did a layover at El Paso airport. There it was, a 110" static model hanging in the main foyer with a plaque giving all the info.

El Paso was Major Nichols' home town and it was a fitting tribute to a local hero.
      Still don't know where I got the documentation.

Charles

I agree, if I were a judge, I would first consider the builders and the time they spent creating a finish they were expecting to be judged on, BUT, give a finish like Ron's F4F way more credit than he got, just to open the door a bit. Tradition can, at times, be a bit stifling.

Ara

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
Ara,

Is Ron Burns still with us?

Charles

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
Ara,

Is Ron Burns still with us?

Charles

He's on the Stuka Stunt forum.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
YOU Started it....
  Also I do not care if you add me to your  S#!/ list. Along with all the other Righteous Modelers you've added to it that you don't agree with. I rather be in THERE good graces and company then yours any given time, any time.....  Further more I do not hide behind private emails like a coward that you are. If I have some thing to say, I say it and let people know about it and where I stand...I'm a man of my word. Any one that knows me will tell you that. But then again you will just add them to your list won't you..
  Your very own attitude is your own worst enemy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »

No Tony,

I didn't start it and you have my blessings.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:59:55 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
Give us all a break will you.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here