News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blank  (Read 36420 times)

Offline Andre Ming

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: What is the best vintage combat plane?
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
Randy:

I didn't realize you were talking the "Mk" series of Fox combat engines and not the older ones that I'm most familiar with. The "Mk" series begin being developed a couple years after I was gone from Fox, so I haven't a clue what Duke's thinking was.  Sorry.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
YES, old kit collection, mag. collection from early 50's to 07, plus a few from boyhood of 40's and engine collection, both old and new..........
I had them all stored in a locked office at Lone Star Balsa.. That really hurt more than the rest of the equipment and inventory.

Terrible, just terrible.

Hopefully you have lots of photographic memories at the house that are still safe and sound?

Please don't tell me your Nats winning Vampire/36X BB was lost in the fire... or worse... the original Voodoo?? 

What a heartbreaker such a devastating fire must have been!  :'(

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
I picked up a couple of Flightlines Sneeker kits a few years back. I still have them and I assume they still have the plans. I could copy them if you need them. I think they ate MK-2 long boom kits. Let me know.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »
Hi Rusty:

Yes, I can see what you're talking about. Thanks for the pictures.

Again, though, such a crank/bearing approach won't be an issue unless:

* An electric starter is used.

* A pusher prop is used.

I suspect since you're talking "dents" in the back plate/rear cover, then the engine has taken some hard hits (crashes) on its nose.  If it runs okay... then you're good to go?

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
Terrible, just terrible.

Hopefully you have lots of photographic memories at the house that are still safe and sound?

Please don't tell me your Nats winning Vampire/36X BB was lost in the fire... or worse... the original Voodoo?? 

What a heartbreaker such a devastating fire must have been!  :'(

Andre, I am not much of a photo nut especially back in my competition days. Don't have a single photo of any of my Texan stunt ships..  The original Voodoo
was used to do what combat planes are built for..... "To win"...... The original kit version was sent to Goldberg for art work, etc.. A second one was framed up and tack glued so they could take it apart to copy.  One of the Nats winning Vampire's was sent to AMA museum...... I built 6 Vampire's in winter of 1965 and flew them in 66, 67 and 68 Nats as well as all other contest in that period.  I am proud of the fact that I still had 5 flying undamaged except for one repaired wing tip when I quit competition in 68... All but 1 were given away or traded off.......

As a side note: The Voodoo is the Ringmaster of combat kits.....  Goldberg sold over 50,000 per year the first few years after they were introduced.. Something that would be unheard of today....
RW

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
Phil PM sent thanks jim #^
AMA 89335

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
Riley :
 So Olathe was your last NATS.I ,too, was there in 68. Got some  B&W shots of combat  with my" Brownie" camera. Lousy photography, if I recall. My friend and I  flew Senior and watched Open. Heat was unbearable. Never before or after have I ever drank more Coke. You know, the original  good stuff in glass bottles... stuff  I can't go near today. Barracks must've been upper 80s at night. But the Navy chow was great and very cheap.
Think I'll do a search around the homestead and see if I can find them.
You are definitely in at least one ; more likely two.
One, wiping off your ship and the other, during a match.

Frank

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2015, 08:28:08 PM »
The most fun I ever had with a Combat wing was with a 'mono-boom' mod. to a Voodoo kit, c.1976, in California.  The mono-boom was a length of 3/4" balsa, faced with 1/32" ply on both sides.

Fascal covering, Fox Combat Special (forget which one), Missile Mist fuel, 9/7 prop.  Didn't compete with it.  Flew it solo, just for fun.  Man, could that thing turn!

Back then, never imagined I'd ever meet Riley Wooten - but he & his lovely wife Marian later began attending the VSC, so it was my pleasure to finally say hello.  Wonderful folks, both!

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »
This thread has been SOOOO much fun! Thanks Rusty for starting it!

Riley:

Darn on the photos.  I too, didn't think to take lots of photos during some of the neat things that I experienced through life as a youngster/younger man. I was too busy having fun and recording memories.

Voodoo:

Yup, I figured the original Voodoo died a glorious death.  ;D

Without a doubt, surely your Goldberg kitted Voodoo was one of the all-time best selling C/L kits in history.

Vampires:

Cool on the surviving Vampires.  I have some neat stories about me and Vampires... but said stories would best be told another time.

Speaking of 6 Vampires flying for 3 seasons with 5 intact and undamaged...

The missing Vampire: Would that one have been the one that was zonkered by a flier named "Lipscomb" (I think) at the '67 Nats final round?  Just read about that tonight as I was reading the '67 Nats C/L combat coverage in the November, 1967 issue of Model Airplane News I have during one of my "throne time" reading sessions.  LL~

So glad you're still in good health and still a'kickin' Riley!!

Frank:

You gotta' find those photos, get'em scanned and share with us here!!  PLEASE bring a scrap book of old combat memories/pictures to the Vintage Combat Festival so I can oogle and ooooo and ahhhhhh over them!  Us combat crazies really need to figure out a way to archive this stuff in a central online location so the history can be preserved.

DO YOU REALIZE it is only about three weeks before The Black (our black GMC Terrain) will be loaded with combat planes and pointed toward NJ?????

It's gonna' be SO FUN!  #^ 

In fact... IT WILL BE EPIC!!  y1

Andre

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »
The most fun I ever had with a Combat wing was with a 'mono-boom' mod. to a Voodoo kit, c.1976, in California.  The mono-boom was a length of 3/4" balsa, faced with 1/32" ply on both sides.

Fascal covering, Fox Combat Special (forget which one), Missile Mist fuel, 9/7 prop.  Didn't compete with it.  Flew it solo, just for fun.  Man, could that thing turn!

Back then, never imagined I'd ever meet Riley Wooten - but he & his lovely wife Marian later began attending the VSC, so it was my pleasure to finally say hello.  Wonderful folks, both!

Mike, such kind words - Marion and I thank you... I think your starting of VSC has been a boon to Control Line....    Made the first VSC in Whittier and only missed two since, I think, not sure, but not more than 3....  Thank you for starting it!!!
RW

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:08 AM »
That "Lipscomb" in '67 was Bob Lipscomb of Georgetown, Texas. He's the guy who brings incredible planes to the VSC. A Novi with unbelievable cockpit detail and A Sweet Sweep, and an OTS "Bandit" on spark.
He won that year in Open Combat,
dg

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
Andre, the missing Vampire was lost in a midair at 66 Nats against one of the Detroit gang. In 67 I flew same plane, engine, plug, prop entire meet... I don't remember what was said in MAN or who wrote it but the final with Bob (an old friend) still haunts me today. It was a weird ending, he thought I killed him, I thought I killed him but I wound up without a knot.......
RW

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
Riley:

You mean journalism isn't perfect and error free??

Ah shucks... here's a word-for-word quote of the entire coverage of Open Combat at the 1967 Nationals as reported by Model Airplane News in their November 1967 issue:

(Note: The long paragraph with run-on sentences is straight from the article.)

"Open combat during the first two rounds was marked by an unnecessarily large number of "byes" due to one side or the other failing to get their engine started, by a large contingent of good fliers from Northern California (WAM country as opposed to AMA) and an excellent record of very few midair collisions. Soon the pairings worked themselves down to the very, very good few and the matches were excellent with hardly any midairs and well run by the ex-National Senior combat champ Dan Jones and his crew of Navy helpers. Bob Carpenter, who won open combat at the last California nationals, still flying his Swoop design, was beaten by McInytre who had not flown since the Philadelphia Nationals of two years ago! Texas' Lipscomb defeated USAF team member Whitney from Hawaii, who then went on to a match with McIntyre for third and fourth.  McInytire having been dispatched in an exciting match with Texan Riley Wooten.  Wooten, flying his foam-winged Vampire, which is available in kit form, looked faultless and his airplane was the sort of thing you expect to see on exhibition in a store window instead of the veteran of many combat matches. A crowd drew up to watch the all-Texas Wooten/Lipscomb match and were set for excitement when a very quick start put them both up in short order. A few moments later Wooten drew first blood with a cut and then unexpectedly there was a solid 'thunk' and Lipscomb "killed" Wooten, cutting the knot off.  The crowd was stunned at the very short match but there it was. Wooten wound up his lines with a plane that looked very much similar to yours or mine - before the first flight. It's not that I object but he could have painted some dirt marks on it or some imaginary repairs out of pity for the rest of us - the foam wings sure looked good. Fox was his choice but the bulk of the fliers used the SuperTigre front rotor ball bearing combat engines. A reminder of a few Nationals back was the attractive Mexico City entry powered by the Johnson 35C, remember?"

End quote.

Well, as I can now see, I "ASSUMED" the mid-air took out airplanes, for it typically does.  However, a more careful reading of the article indicates your Vampire was almost unscathed.

So, the above is the "cut and dried" version of contest coverage... I much prefer to hear it from the competitors themselves!

All fer now...

Andre

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Riley,  I just won one of your kits on ebay.  Vintage Riley Wooten's Double Voodoo Scale RC Model - Carl Goldberg Models
Item # 331636032088.   $61.00!!!!!  The only thing is that I didn't know it was a scale RC model.

It was sold by the Good Will store. 

Well, it is a full scale Voodoo and we did RC a couple of them......Honesty in advertising.......LOL   You ought to see one of them with K & B 4011, vertical rolls to almost out of sight and come back down at I am sure 200MPH.......Gets your heart pumping!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very hard to see and keep up with......
RW

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:39 AM »
Riley:
I snapped these two shots of you at the 68 Olathe NATS. One has an arrow pointing to you that I made back then. If my memory serves me, the fellow in the safari hat was the combat event director.

That was a long time ago.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2015, 07:15:13 AM »
While we're talking about the best vintage combat plane, I'll toss my design into the ring. My original Scrambler (M.A.N.  January 1972) design here with me in front of my brand spanking  new 1971 Chevy Nova SS ( V-8 4 speed) . Man, do I wish I had that car yet... Oh, God do I !

I have a 2015 version of my Scrambler that'll be flown at the Vintage Combat Festival on  Sept. 20. L.S. Fox 36x BB.

The Scrambler is unique because is sparless. Gets it's strength from the "Warren Truss" rib arrangement( same principle engineers use on bridges) and we have never folded one.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
Riley, would you like to have the double Voodoo kit I won?  I will give it to you, since your kits got burned up.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty for the kind offer, but I would rather see you keep it. My daughter found a double kit a couple of years ago and it is now in my collection..
Again, Thanks,
Riley

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
While we're talking about the best vintage combat plane, I'll toss my design into the ring. My original Scrambler (M.A.N.  January 1972) design here with me in front of my brand spanking  new 1971 Chevy Nova SS ( V-8 4 speed) . Man, do I wish I had that car yet... Oh, God do I !

I have a 2015 version of my Scrambler that'll be flown at the Vintage Combat Festival on  Sept. 20. L.S. Fox 36x BB.

The Scrambler is unique because is sparless. Gets it's strength from the "Warren Truss" rib arrangement( same principle engineers use on bridges) and we have never folded one.

Frank, Did your Chevy have a 396 in it? A guy I worked with had one of those, but I never got to ride in it.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
Frank, Did your Chevy have a 396 in it? A guy I worked with had one of those, but I never got to ride in it.

I had a roommate with one back in those days.  I think it was a '69.  He set out in it on New Year's Eve with a bottle of 151 proof rum.  He returned safely with a size 32C bra in the back seat of the automobile.  He had no recollection of whose it was or how it got there. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »
Rusty:

You're a good man, Rusty, a good man.

Frank:

Who was that slim debonair guy holding that cool airplane in front of the Nova???   LL~

And you're right, the Scrambler is a very innovative construction design.  I remember yours and Dan's article in MAN, and remember showing it to Duke. He was VERY impressed with your construction technique.  They look to be a booger to cut/build... but once built, look like the cat's meow.  I am very likely going to add a Scrambler to my "to do" list!  Can't wait to see yours fly.

Lastly Frank, thank you very much for sharing your old Brownie photos.  Priceless.  I have duly saved all your pics to my "Friends and NetPics" subfolder inside my "Model Airplanes" folder.

(Edit) Howard:

You have some of the most OFF THE WALL stories to share!!!   LL~

All:

This is what makes this hobby really great: Friends sharing experiences and the common ground we share together, in this case the love and appreciation of combat and its history.  Also, one of the things I like best about my vintage combat plane hobby is when I mess with the engines, or the airplanes, or especially flying them... I'm magically transformed into a kid all over again!  That part of it is priceless!!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:24:44 PM by Andre Ming »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
Those were the days.  My Dad helped me by holding my planes.  The little 1/2A combat planes taught us a lot about launching.  Never stand behind the plane unless you want it for lunch.  My Dad never flew or built model planes, but he supported me as much as he could.  I always liked it when someone would ask him why he let me play with those.   His response was,  "I know where he is of an evening".   Of course had home work also.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
Rusty:

Never had stitches... but had my share of nicks n' cuts. They feel great when the nitro/methanol hit it!

John:

Sounds exactly like my situation: Dad didn't do "hobbies", but he was tireless at launching my 1/2 A combat (and other) planes, and later the big combat planes... though he was REALLY uncomfortable around a screamin' Fox 36X!  (IS there a sound to compare?  Music to my ringing ears!)

SO many great memories! 

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2015, 08:36:36 PM »
LOL!  I think we have all paid our dues in this hobby!

Ringing ears: Courtesy of Fox Mfg.  Literally ran thousands of engines over the short years I was there in the small confines of "run-in" rooms. First stint with Fox we used the old run-in rooms. The C/L building had three mounts and we ran the C/L engines three at a time. Two were constantly running at all times.  What did we used for ear "protection"?  Why, wadded up Kleenex, of course!  Yup, wadded up Kleenex.  I have had tinnitus (ringing ears caused by hearing nerve damage) ever since.

Missile Mist: Oh yeah, soaked the crotch many a time while holding a plane for a fellow flier and the bulb burst, or the fuel line slipped off... when squirting the fuel into a bladder tank... spills (or bladder bursts) happen FAST because of the pressure.  I've also received face fulls of Missile Mist (and into the eyes, of course) when a pacifier would burst, etc.  Burns like fire in the eyes.  THESE memories may not go under the "Fun" column... but they ARE memories!

Chicken Stick:  Never caught on to them. I bent needle valves with them.  Gave up.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »
Rusty:

Frank:

Who was that slim debonair guy holding that cool airplane in front of the Nova???   LL~

And you're right, the Scrambler is a very innovative construction design.  I remember yours and Dan's article in MAN, and remember showing it to Duke. He was VERY impressed with your construction technique.  They look to be a booger to cut/build... but once built, look like the cat's meow.  I am very likely going to add a Scrambler to my "to do" list!  Can't wait to see yours fly.

Lastly Frank, thank you very much for sharing your old Brownie photos.  Priceless.  I have duly saved all your pics to my "Friends and NetPics" subfolder inside my "Model Airplanes" folder.

(Edit) Howard:

You have some of the most OFF THE WALL stories to share!!!   LL~

All:

This is what makes this hobby really great: Friends sharing experiences and the common ground we share together, in this case the love and appreciation of combat and its history.  Also, one of the things I like best about my vintage combat plane hobby is when I mess with the engines, or the airplanes, or especially flying them... I'm magically transformed into a kid all over again!  That part of it is priceless!!

Andre: Just wait to you see what father time has done to me. Can't straighten up today- too much grass cutting yesterday ! But, I can still line jerk and  I also enjoy  wiggling  the R/C sticks .The Scrambler isn't all that tough to build- actually, easier than a straight and much easier than a tapered Satan. As you can see, they share some basic design elements of which L.S. gave blessing to. The Scrambler is a bit lighter than the Satan. The rib arrangement and l.e. sheeting / center sheeting are where all the strength lies.

Gerald:
 Unfortunately, Chevy discontinued the 396  in the Nova after 1970. Mine was a 350. Slower, but handled much better. Late that year, GM went on a prolonged strike . The result was that early 1971 NovaSS had many "left over " parts , but they were all better quality and  stouter : 12 bolt rear, h.d. Muncie 4 speed trannys,  large diameter duals with resonators  and full sized buckets( same as Chevelles, GTOs and 442s).
Sold it to buy a new 73 Vette- which I also wish I still had as that was the  car I had when I dated  the wife  . To this day, I tell her she fell for the car, not me. Back then as well as today ,she learned that I park a mile away from everyone else  and that's just the way it is.

Howard : Unfortunately, no bras to speak of 'cause  for the most part, chicks went BRA-LESS !!!! in the 70s !!!!! VD~  ~^  #^ n~  :o  ;D  #^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »
Chicken sticks,  seen many props damaged as well as needle valves bent.  If I had an engine I was not used to, the old heavy leather work glove came out of hiding.   When trying to compete with diesel used just a couple of wraps of adhesive medical tape on the fingers that hit the prop.   When ever I got a deep cut it was because I let the finger slide on the prop edge.  Oh, I still get whacked once in a while.  The last damage was the knuckle of the finger against the back of a prop while try to needle a K&B .35 Greenhead.

Now as far as hearing problems I owe that to the industrial plants I worked in.  Also many year in the switching offices of good ole Southwestern Bell Telephone.  Even the electronic digital offices are noisy with all the fans going in the equipment frame.   Need to be in a small office like Tonganoxie KS during the night and listen to it go to sleep and then start waking up when it started getting day light.  Don't forget the race cars with open exhaust.   Still love the sound of a Harley.  

Now that I'm way off base,  I think the little Omega 1/2A combat and Sterling T-Square were my favorites for just plane flying.   For combat, it was what ever plane I had just finished.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
Maybe not the best but what was your first combat plane?   My first combat match was with a Fox 35 powered stock Ringmaster, less the landing gear...... One foot kill zone, 52-1/2' lines in west Texas because of the wind... Won 3 matches before being eliminated...." Man, THIS IS FUN"
Figured out real quick, I can't outfly these more experienced  guys so I need better planes and equipment.... That started my search into aircraft design and ways to build better planes...  If anyone is interested I can get into more history of early day (50,s-60's) combat from my view point. I am sure other parts of the country also have their history........
RW

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
If anyone is interested I can get into more history of early day (50,s-60's) combat from my view point.

You bet we're interested.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mel Gray

• Ensign
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:35 PM »

Quote:  "If anyone is interested I can get into more history of early day (50,s-60's) combat from my view point. I am sure other parts of the country also have their history........
RW "

Hi Riley,

I, for one, would be interested. I was part of the Texas CL competition scene from around 1961 thru 1965.  I only dabbled in Combat early on (wasn't very good) before I settled on CL Speed competition.  I have great memories from traveling to contests and the Southwestern Championships every Labor Day weekend.  You, and the Lubbock bunch, were a memorable part of that experience.  Carl Berryman, that long, tall fellow from (was it Altus, OK?) as well.

Mel Gray
Mel Gray
Monument, CO  80132
AMA63434
NAR72053

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
Riley Wooten said:

If anyone is interested I can get into more history of early day (50,s-60's) combat from my view point.

Hmm... let me think about that "if anyone is interested" question...

Would I have a passing interest in hearing first hand history from one of the premier combat fliers of all time as he shares personal experiences from one of the most fast-moving developmental eras of C/L Combat?

Uhhh...

IS THE POPE CATHOLIC?

As far as I'm concerned, you can start a new thread dedicated to your history recollections, share your personal experiences with as much detail as you want... digress as you feel the urge... progress at your own rate and enjoy the trip... and I ASSURE you I will be copy/pasting everything you say into an memoir essay with your name on it on my own hard drive.

Bring it on Big Daddy!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
I enjoy this thread immensely, and yes I would love to read what Mr. Wooten remembers of the early days

I have been reluctant to comment before now as I (at age 60) seem to be younger and have no memories of 50/60s combat and some of these airplanes.

I only flew combat style airplanes (mostly for sport with local school yard chums) from 1968~1972. We flew Satans, VooDoos, and Mongees with Enya .35s or McCoys or Fox 35s (no true combat or high zoot engines) with local fuel and propellers

Tomorrow I plan on a 4.5 hour drive to Lubbock and the Mears place to watch the first day of his contest. Had not planned to go there this year, but he posted that Mr. Wooten would be there judging.

I would like to meet the combat guy I read about in so many magazine articles from my youth. May even drag out a set of VooDoo plans I got from Barry Baxter and ask Riley to sign them
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
Yep, headed to Lubbock for combat contest this weekend....Seems enough guys would be interested in history of old combat to do it.  Should I continue on this thread or start a new one?  Open forum where I suspect more would see it or on Combat forum??
RW

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi Riley,

Yep! I'm interested too! I build your equalizer design waaaaaay back when I was young..... with a McCoy 35 and it was to fast for me then!  y1
I can only imagine what they are like today.
I think a "New" thread on open forum would be very nice.

Tight lines, Jerry

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
Carl berryman Super Twister from a chip a way kit that i got from Marvin Denny   done and ready to cover...Big Iron on the jig next...
AMA 89335

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2015, 06:38:54 AM »
Hey Jim, I hope you are going to bring some of that stuff up to NJ in 2 weeks! #^

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2015, 07:42:07 AM »
I planned on coming and hope too still if my wifes chemo and radiation allows time and dollars..unfortunatly cancer has came back after 3 yrs in remission...new journey starts this wednesday..hope to see everyone there...jimmy ;)
AMA 89335

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
Jim your family is in our prayers sir
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
Here are a few photos of the nose of my electric Sweet Sweep. I've had to put this project on the back burner for a while, but I'm still hoping to get it done in time for the Vintage Combat Fun Fly at the GSCB field on the 20th.

The motor mount took a considerable amount of engineering to make it both strong and light. I will either carbon or glass the motor pod to the wing for added strength.

Later - Bob Hunt 

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Here are a few more photos of the motor pod.  n~

Note that the finished opening in the front allows for an annular air inlet around the spinner. The cooling air goes through the slotted G-10 mount and right into the cooling holes in the motor. I've used this type of cooling scheme on a couple of stunt ships and it works great!

Bob Hunt

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
Jim:

Prayers and thoughts for your wife, you and your family. It would sure be a treat to meet you and see your fleet, but there are other things far more important than toy airplanes.

Bob:

Wow. What a craftsman you are!  That is shaping up to be one of the cleanest looking combat planes I've ever seen!  Even if you don't get your Sweet Sweep finished, are you going to attend so's us furiners can meet 'cha?

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
Jim,
  Best wishes to your wife.

Bob,
 SPECTACULAR!!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline andy borgogna

• Ensign
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
I once had the opportunity to sit and have a  beer with Riley Wooten.  He was in the room next to Larry Renger and myself at a past VSC.  We talked about the Voodoo and during the conversation he told me that he thought the Sneaker was the better of the two designs.  I have one of each hanging in my garage, I don't fly them but Lord do they bring back some great memories.  Oh, and by the way, I did supply the beer and to chat with Riley Wooten would have been worth a whole case of beer. y1

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
Boy what a sweet sweep Bob curious about the power system etc...
Fred,Andre,Tom thanks for the caring thoughts...much appreciated...long day for the wife tomorrow setting up for a new radiation therapy.
here's the Super Twister kit I got from Marvin ready to fly...jim
AMA 89335

Offline Jerry Haupt

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2015, 05:54:24 AM »
Howard:

Richard Stubblefield was flying combat in 1964?  Didn't know that.

Mono-booms:

The earliest I "THINK" I remember seeing mono-booms was Jerry Haupt's "Wedge" and Bernie Vernau's "Motivator II"... both of early 1970s vintage.  At least, that's my story and I'm a' stickin' with it.  LL~

This thread certainly brings back the memories. The Wedge did indeed have a mono boom designed by my father Jack. It was designed in the late 60's and flown at the nats from 68-71 along with many local contests. The two most memorable nats being the win in 1971 and my favorite was 1968 when my dad flew Riley. Riley's pit crew were pretty good and crafty as Riley was flying. We launched dad first and Riley's launcher faked launching the airplane, dad looped expecting to come up behind the airplane only to be disqualified for a maneuver before Riley was in the air. They went on to fly the match for a full 5 minutes of awesome combat as the notification of disqualification came after the match. At least this is how I remember it from almost 50 years ago.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
Jerry,

I did not remember who was flying but remember what happened.  James Mears was the launcher .. He noticed as he was about to launch the other flyer was doing a loop (completely against rules) so he pointed up to the plane, pinched off bladder, and laid my plane down.  Sorry I did not get to fly him... Rules said one complete level lap must be made after 2nd plane was airborne, with no maneuvers except to avoid collision before combat begins.......
RW

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
This thread certainly brings back the memories. The Wedge did indeed have a mono boom designed by my father Jack. It was designed in the late 60's and flown at the nats from 68-71 along with many local contests. The two most memorable nats being the win in 1971 and my favorite was 1968 when my dad flew Riley. Riley's pit crew were pretty good and crafty as Riley was flying. We launched dad first and Riley's launcher faked launching the airplane, dad looped expecting to come up behind the airplane only to be disqualified for a maneuver before Riley was in the air. They went on to fly the match for a full 5 minutes of awesome combat as the notification of disqualification came after the match. At least this is how I remember it from almost 50 years ago.

I remember hearing that story from James Mears for years.  He had so many stories that I was never sure if any of them were real!  Having one confirmed is a bit scary.

Tom

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
I remember hearing that story from James Mears for years.  He had so many stories that I was never sure if any of them were real!  Having one confirmed is a bit scary.

Tom

Tom, you didn't believe them?  You gotta be kidding!!!!!!!! LOL
RW

Offline Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
I knew 10% had to be true - some of that stuff you can't make up  n~.  Just wasn't sure what 10% it was.  Guess I found it!

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
I found my MACA newsletter from Sept. 1975, in which I did a piece about my mods that I did to the Wooten Sneeker. The kit was cheaper and an easy build. There are several pictures from the 75 Nats along with a picture of my Sneeker.
Also a lot of familiar faces.

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
Speaking of Tom Fluker. Here are the combat winners pics from 1975. Look closely and there Tom is.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
I found my MACA newsletter from Sept. 1975, in which I did a piece about my mods that I did to the Wooten Sneeker. The kit was cheaper and an easy build. There are several pictures from the 75 Nats along with a picture of my Sneeker.
Also a lot of familiar faces.

Oh! Now I see why you guys fly combat! #24, 26 & 34.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here