News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dick Scobee Memorial Contest Auburn WA August 22-23  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dick Scobee Memorial Contest Auburn WA August 22-23
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »
Next weekend with be the 6th Annual Dick Scobee Memorial Contest at Auburn Airport (Dick Scobee Field ) in Auburn WA.  Flying will be similar to past years with the field open for practice on Friday 8/21, with OTS, Classic Stunt and Profile on Sat 8/22 and all classes of PA Aerobatics on Sunday. Mike Haverly has graciously offered his home for an evening BBQ on Sat after the event . Mike will be the contact for this contest and questions can be directed to him at MoneyPit2K@comcast.net or 253 850-0744. Flyer attached.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dick Scobee Memorial Contest Auburn WA August 22-23
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
Be careful of the furniture at Mike's place.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »
I will have everything labeled so no one will make the mistake of sitting on a cheap plastic folding table.
Mike

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
Perhaps Howard was thinking of his tummy and build overweight comments

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,40314.msg413796.html#new
Fred

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »
The bad news is I won't be in Auburn next weekend, dang it.

The good news is I will still get in some flying during the weekend.

The really good news is I will be attending the Prairie Fire contest in Edmonton, Alberta!

The really really good news is the AAA Alberta beef I will be enjoying Sunday evening with Bruce Perry and the gang!!!

See you guys at the Round-Up in September.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
I'll be at the Auburn contest. I may even have a plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:25:56 PM »
I'll have some plane. But not the one I've been working on it seems.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
The contest was quite fun. Howard Rush kicked everyone's butt. Other than that, it was a good time. Dead calm most of the day, but we got through it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
The contest was quite fun. Howard Rush kicked everyone's butt. Other than that, it was a good time.

Other than that?  That was the best part.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
This part was pretty good for some.  Howard flew well, no cones were at risk.  The best part for me was watching someone else fly my airplane.  Hopefully some of the mojo rubbed off!

Thank you to Howard for his tabulating and Pete Ferguson for running the show.  Attendance was down and the air was near impossible (to breathe).  Fires in the other part of the State is causing some major air quality problems. 

Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
I'm sorry I missed Sunday.  I had to bug out Sunday morning -- I hurt my back during the week (I think moving some fallen trees on Thursday), and it caught up with me Saturday evening, to the point where I could barely move.  I was worried about surviving the drive home -- and I was really hurting for the last hour of the drive, so I think I made the right decision.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »
So how was the turnout yesterday?  It looked like most of the usual suspects were showing up for Expert, but how about the rest?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
I'm sorry I missed Sunday.  I had to bug out Sunday morning -- I hurt my back during the week (I think moving some fallen trees on Thursday), and it caught up with me Saturday evening, to the point where I could barely move.  I was worried about surviving the drive home -- and I was really hurting for the last hour of the drive, so I think I made the right decision.

None the less, you still scored a prize on Sunday!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
None the less, you still scored a prize on Sunday!

I did!  And I have an engine that fits it!

You'll be getting an email with questions, BTW.
AMA 64232

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
Hope it's not a Flite Streak.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
It was a nice contest.  Smoke from the fires to the east gave a nice orange color to the sun and produced a haze making me nostalgic for my youth in the Midwest before emissions controls.  No carrier guys came to compete, although Mike Potter flew his cool autogyro and some other stuff.  I guess Northwest Sport .40 carrier is too sophisticated, so we'll have to come up with a simpler carrier event to increase participation.  I raised a fuss to rescedule the contest to avoid a conflict with the Bladder Grabber, but none of the conflicted people came either.  

Maybe the coolest thing that happened was when Mike Haverly hooked up his lines backward on his Classic plane.  It has tricycle gear.  When a nudge of up didn't cause takeoff rotation, Mike rolled for several laps making plans, loosening his safety strap, and finally rotating the handle.  We were entertained, and he saved the airplane, a happy ending.  

Profile was kinda interesting.  Tim Wescott went from last place the first round to first place the second round.  Fred Underwood led the first round, but slipped to third place in the second round. He flew last in the second round and recaptured first place.

We adjourned to Mike Haverly's house Saturday for food and fellowship.  He had some fine hot dogs, causing some mole jokes.  I would have eaten several more, but I had quit taking my statins.  

Randy Powell made a rare appearance Sunday.  No new cool planes, but he brought the Slider, an old cool plane.  Somebody put an oil-absorbing pad under it as required by our airport hosts, not realizing that Randy had converted it to electric.  It was inadvertent humor, but humor nevertheless.   Randy flew well, leading us to suspect that he has been spending some of his painting time practicing stunt.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Santa Paul was in evidence. He brought awesome goodies to some, Tim being one. I think Dane was the other.

Howard flew really well as did Alan. Mike looked good and yours truly actually flew both rounds with a largely untrimmed plane and was mostly happy with the outcome. Good contest all around.

Thanks to the work of Howard, Pete Ferguson and The Steve and others, it was a very fun couple of days. Wish could have made the feed at Mike's house on Saturday but I had a plane to fix.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
Hope it's not a Flite Streak.

Whatever makes you say that?  I promise that the ax will not be wielded on this plane.

Since I suspect that Paul didn't give this to me to donate to the AMA museum behind his back, I'm going to put it in the air.  It turns out that the Magnum 51 that I bought for the Legacy fits the bolt holes just fine, although if I use my usual Hanger 9 spinner the gap will be a bit excessive, and it'll need a new cowl or a whole lot of trimming.

Here's a picture of the smoke as seen from the Glenn Jackson (I-205 southbound at the Oregon-Washington border).  This was taken at about 12:30 yesterday afternoon.  You could see more trees -- dimly -- in real life, but you had to squint.  Today we've got a breeze from the west that's blowing clear (and, thankfully, cool and moist) air.  It probably won't rain, but if we're lucky it'll at least lower temperatures and raise the humidity on all the fires that are burning up the landscape.

Following are pictures of the nifty plane.  I will put new wheels on it; I can't guarantee that I'll wear mine down as much as Paul did his, though.

AMA 64232

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »
How much does that monster motor weigh?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
looks like Tim can retire the uh,, twister jenny thing,,  #^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
How much does that monster motor weigh?

12-1/2 ounces.  What did you have in it originally?

looks like Tim can retire the uh,, twister jenny thing,,  #^

I'll need something for profile, unless I want to give up on that.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
Here is the aforementioned Classic model.  This is the second model of this design that I built for VSC in 2009, the first met an early end at VSC in 2008.  This one flew better than the first, but still a handful in anything less than perfect conditions.  

Against my better judgment, it was built with a 3" bellcrank and a single flap horn.  Anything past about 10 degrees of deflection and the controls would get progressively stiffer, any small change in air caused issues.

Last winter, I decided to cut into it and replace everything.  New flaps, elevators and control horns.  This time it has a split flap horn with ball links and a 4" bellcrank.  It was clear coated with dope, now it is automotive polyurethane.  Odd thing is, after all of that, it lost almost 2 oz. and I was able to save Jack Sheeks' signature.  Weight now is 60 oz.  Sounds like a lot but it is 660 square in.

I'm pleased with the results and hope to make the trip to the Golden State Champs with it.  I also know that it will stay on the deck if my lines are backward :-X

edit: sp  mh
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:47:42 PM by Mike Haverly »
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
I'm not sure who launched for Mike on that attempted (practice) flight, but when I'm launching for somebody, I always wiggle the handle and see if it's up for up. When it isn't, I mention it. I always tell Mike that his controls are backwards, because they are. Mike isn't normal...  ;)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
Hey Mike - is that a jug of Gatoraide in front of the right wing tip???

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »
Actually it's Powerade, dragonfruit flavor.  When I had the airplane apart I put a battery pack in the tank compartment for a fit test.  It fit.  I was tempted, but didn't give in.  All the slime and stink reminds of why I tried the dark side, not to mention getting a good needle setting.  Now I'm whining.
Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
Well, Mike, the Freedom 45 is interesting to watch anyway.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
Mike...even if you'd converted it to electrons, the lines still would have been hooked-up wrong.  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
Mike...even if you'd converted it to electrons, the lines still would have been hooked-up wrong.  S?P Steve

Hmm.  I wonder if an electronic bellcrank could fix this?
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
Hope your back is better, Tim.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
Hope your back is better, Tim.

It is.  It's a typical stupid desk-worker back injury: you sit around typing for years, then you get up and do something in the yard that you were perfectly capable of when you were 20 and working a manufacturing job, and the next day you wake up with a sore back.  So, I'm better now, and encouraged to do my back exercises at least for a little while.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here