News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pigment for epoxy finish resin  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Pigment for epoxy finish resin
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
Guys,
Has anyone added pigment to finishing epoxy? What type of pigment did you use and were did you buy it? I'm wondering if pigments from an art store would work or is there a special pigment for epoxy?

Best,    DennisT

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
Re: Pigment for epoxy finish resin
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »
You might try a place that sells resins and fibreglass materials.  I once bought some pigments from such a place but never did use them but it's clear that there are pigments formulated for use with finishing resin.  You could try the usual suspects; Aircraft Spruce, Aerospace Composites etc.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »
Yea, I'm not sure. Auto toners are inert and should work but I'd certainly try a test first.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
"Universal" pigment should do.  Anywhere that mixes paint color HAS it, whether they will sell you some is a different story.  Ask, you might need to buy an empty container to put it into. 

(I have about a pint of some awful green to repair a tub.  I used a toothpick full.  It didn't match, and now the tub has been refinished white.)

Make a test batch first. 

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/adding-pigments-to-epoxy/

Apparently
RIT dye
tempera powder
a list of other products...

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
Dennis,

I remembered this Thread of yours.

I had to insert the wing into the fuselage on this Ringmaster. You will see it eventually at the field.

I added a couple of drops of artists waterbase airbrush dark blue to the epoxy and micro-balloon mix used around the opening. Worked well.

Could have done a second layer or added a bit more paint. More drops would have made the mix more opaque.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
Back in the 60s I used to rewind electric motors for the slot car croud. Using epoxy over the windings to prevent throwing the windings I used different colour enamel in the epoxy to identify different winds  also used to bake the epoxied armature in the oven to cure  the epoxy .

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »
Here you go   http://www.fibreglast.com/category/pigments  I use this stuff with Epon 815 in fiberglass props to get different colors, works great.

I've also used pigments from boat repair places with varying results, they sometimes fade with exposure to the sun.

MM

Advertise Here

Advertise Here