News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 16484 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Windows 10
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »
By now some of you have seen the offer to update your computer to Windows 10 and may have already done the free update. This may help make the transition as painless as possible.

First I must say I kinda like Windows 10 but you have to do a little research to make sure you have disabled all the Big Brother and bandwidth hogging stuff that comes with it.

Here are a few links I discovered that will give you a good start. Not to worry I have visited all 3 and they are legit.
http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html
http://winaero.com/blog/category/windows-10/
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

The second issue you may have is trying to do a clean installation on a new hard drive or a fresh installation of Windows 10 instead of updating your current installation of 7 or 8. The problem is the way Microsoft is activating Windows 10 installations. It's a free upgrade but difficult to install to a clean hard drive. The deal is you must do an upgrade to an existing activated computer running Windows 7 or 8. This registers the computers hardware hash and the product key with Microsoft. Once that is done you can then wipe the hard drive and do a clean installation using your existing product key.

Don't ya just love all the hoops Microsoft makes you jump through.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:40:30 AM »
Bob,

I installed it on mine and it was a seamless transition as my laptop is not overly stuffed. There are a few things that I don't like but they are personnel preferences and the icons are a little different and they have a lot of aps that you can buy taking up room on the thing but they are easy to get rid of. Also most people know that you can still run your previously installed browser if you want by clicking on those 3 dots at the top banner and selecting it.
It is certainly a lot better than 8.1

Dennis

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
I'll stick with unix, thanks anyway.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
No joy for XP. HB~>
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
The message I get is that my (flat screen) monitor is not compatible with Windows 10.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »
any one have ANY kind of trouble in downloading and installing Windows 10?

if so, what did happen.
i got my notice that I can now download it to my laptop and am wondering
about anything I should be concerned about.

thanks
carl

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
 :)  Yep, I accepted the upgrade on my laptop and it seems to be running just fine (although I don't have all that much on it, programs wise).  I kinda' like the Cortana feature  :D  I guess the "conspiracy theorist" in me just couldn't believe that something was "free".  It kept running through my mind that programs would lock up, features would be limited and I'd ge a pop-up message saying that I had to buy some kind of key to open the files and features for some exorbitant rate (for my wallet, anything over 50 cents is .... well, maybe $1.50  ;D ); and so would 200 million other users   ::) .  Nevertheless all seems to be working well at the moment, thankfully!!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 03:24:16 PM »
I did the down load with no problems making of what I was reading.   Yes some things are different now, but seems to be running better.  Have not done the laptop yet as I don't knowifit has enough space.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'm in the process of putting a new computer together with the help of my Brother (He's a EE computer freak)and hasn't mentioned anything about this, but then He did say that he uses 8.  I had intended to install Windows 10 on it.  Does this situation mean that I'll have to install Win 8 first and then upgrade to 10.  What a crock!!  Microsoft has gone completely nuts!  Maybe I'll just be a stubborn Old Guy and stay with 8!

I appreciate the "Heads Up" and the links.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
You can install 10 if you buy the retail version from Microsoft otherwise, ya you have to install 7 or 8 then do the update. Can't imagine anyone on a real computer wanting to keep Windows 8, can understand wanting to stay with 7 but 10 is heads and shoulders above 8 no reason not to do the upgrade.

Offline Jim Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 05:30:47 PM »
To Bob
I am still running xp i also have  win.7  but like the other one. better   Jim

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »
Very negative experience here, Bob.

I'm building 2 new computers at the moment - started building, selling, servicing PCs in 1985.  Installed Windows 7 on the first, fine-tuned it (with all the right drivers) and had it running very nicely.  Then did the update to 10 on the first day it was available.

The update produced the most bland machine imaginable - Windows 10 didn't even recognize the monitor (an HP IPS LED) which a Windows 7 installation immediately recognizes by specific model number.  And that was typical - I had to search for drivers for virtually everything all over again.

I also don't like many of the "hidden" features, and am back to a clean Windows 7 install.

I freely confess to being rather distrustful of Microsoft in general.  My many years have convinced me of 2 things: (1) Microsoft programmers seem to live in ivory towers, completely unaware of the real world and much of the hardware we work with, and (2) a company that presents false information in a federal court doesn't rank at the top of the list of corporations that practice integrity.

That's my two cents - to those who like Windows 10 and have had a smooth transition, I say "great!"

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »
I'll stay with 7, thank you.  It does everything I need.  No reason to change (or spend more money).
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
Update on two 8.1 laptops.  Seem to work OK with one bug - when I closed the lid and came back, the machines would not wake-up, had to completely power down & restart.  Could only fix by making it so closing the lid does nothing - that's a goofy way to set-up a laptop!

Once running it seems OK but much slower to load.  They fixed a few things, bewildered a few things...

On the old notebook running Win7 it would not upgrade due to lack of graphics driver.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 04:14:35 AM »
Hi Bob,

I'm in the process of putting a new computer together with the help of my Brother (He's a EE computer freak)and hasn't mentioned anything about this, but then He did say that he uses 8.  I had intended to install Windows 10 on it.  Does this situation mean that I'll have to install Win 8 first and then upgrade to 10.  What a crock!!  Microsoft has gone completely nuts!  Maybe I'll just be a stubborn Old Guy and stay with 8!

I appreciate the "Heads Up" and the links.

Randy Cuberly

Even windows 8 can be a problem Randy!  I had a new laptop with 8.1 and wife liked a few new screen differences on the update version.  We upgraded hers and then found 8.1 had no drivers for the Epson printers we were running and to add insult to injury, no drivers for the Canon scanner.   Yes the printers and scanner are getting on a bit but still function great.  Lucky the old desktop computer was still running XP!  Had to update the general printer so went wireless and A3 format.  Only half the sheets to print a plan with Adobe 11 but don't tell her that was the reason for the A3 size!  ;D

HH

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:23:12 AM »
Very negative experience here, Bob.

I'm building 2 new computers at the moment - started building, selling, servicing PCs in 1985.  Installed Windows 7 on the first, fine-tuned it (with all the right drivers) and had it running very nicely.  Then did the update to 10 on the first day it was available.

The update produced the most bland machine imaginable - Windows 10 didn't even recognize the monitor (an HP IPS LED) which a Windows 7 installation immediately recognizes by specific model number.  And that was typical - I had to search for drivers for virtually everything all over again.

I also don't like many of the "hidden" features, and am back to a clean Windows 7 install.

I freely confess to being rather distrustful of Microsoft in general.  My many years have convinced me of 2 things: (1) Microsoft programmers seem to live in ivory towers, completely unaware of the real world and much of the hardware we work with, and (2) a company that presents false information in a federal court doesn't rank at the top of the list of corporations that practice integrity.

That's my two cents - to those who like Windows 10 and have had a smooth transition, I say "great!"

Dennis

You'll get no disagreements from me, my main computer is running XP which I believe is still the best Windows OS for those of us that need a computer to do real work. I have a couple Windows 7 machines only because I have to know it to help my customers. I completely bypassed 8, it was a tablet OS Microsoft tried to make work on a desktop. Windows 10 fixes most of the shortcomings of 8 and the 32bit version will run most XP programs.

Would be nice to be able to run Lunix or a MAC but the corporate world is on Windows and if I want to make any money Windows is where I have to be.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »
Windows. What an amusing parallel universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »
I am a low end user so what do I know.  Upgraded from W-7 to W-10 on my desk top.  I have a Geek Squad maintenance contract.  The Geek had to load new drivers to get my printers to work.  Out side of that all is good.  Still using Google Chrome for the web so no change in look or feel there.

PS W-7 games are gone - had to go to W-10 games.   The W-10 game set does not have mine sweeper.  I am sure it is online if I want.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
 Hey John, where do you find windows 10 games? My upgrade from 7 to10 was without any angst whatever.

Thanks

Walter
walter menges

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:46 PM »
Hey John, where do you find windows 10 games? My upgrade from 7 to10 was without any angst whatever.

Thanks

Walter

I am not sure?  After instillation it was pinned to the task bar.  The logo is a deck of cards
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »
You can install 10 if you buy the retail version from Microsoft otherwise, ya you have to install 7 or 8 then do the update. Can't imagine anyone on a real computer wanting to keep Windows 8, can understand wanting to stay with 7 but 10 is heads and shoulders above 8 no reason not to do the upgrade.

Thanks for answering my question Bob.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
I run both a laptop with W7 and a MS Surface tablet with W 8.1. Anyone update to W10 on the tablets yet? I had a note that the drivers aren't ready for the tablets, true?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Have fun, guys. I've been running various flavors of unix and linux for a very long time without serious issue. Oh, it messes up occasionally, but it's always due to some screw up on my part and generally easily fixed.

By the way, I got Castle to send me the source code for their esc programming. It's been ported to linux (I know a guy) and seems to work pretty well.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
I find all the games are there, just have to look for them.  Problem I have discovered is I now have no sound coming through the speakers.   Have tried to turn the sound back on with no luck.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
If I knew how to delete the games, I would.

I've had the Win10 popup a few times, but didn't, after hearing all the grief Alan Resinger had with it. I guess I'll try it if I get the offer again. Win8.1 isn't my favorite.

What really galls me is that Yahoo cut me from "Deluxe" to "basic" because I had XP and couldn't update past IE8. So now I have IE10, and they're clueless about that, and I've found no way to contact them about that or the fact that my charge card number didn't work for them due to the bank's computer being hacked. But it's too much hassle to transfer all the saved emails, addresses and such to somebody like G-mail...where they want to install the Google toolbar, which I know I don't want. I've got Opera and Firefox, and don't really like them that well...plus I have all my bookmarks in IE. Damned software companies...   HB~> Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
Well I guess we have to keep all those nerds busy,  even though I think they cause more problems than they fix.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
Bob;
upgraded my Lenovo laptop today to 10 and it was very painless for me.
I checked out your links you provided and used some of the info thereto hurry things along and keep
my machine private.
system is working like a champ.
On one of our other laptops here at the house, I did the install and things did not work very well.
Took it to Geek Squad at Best Buy and asked them to check it out and do a complete install of 10 for me.
working great now.  they said that the problem stems from Norton anti virus program on the machine. They said that
Norton and McAfee do not run on the 10 system. You must get a cloud based anti virus and install it.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 06:00:07 AM »
Ya forgot to mention you should remove any anti virus programs before doing the update, they can and will cause problems. I personally do not care for Cloud based anything. The "Cloud" is is just a marketing term for a server connected to the internet, really do not understand the hype.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
So far I like it. But everyone please note be sure to know your passwords for every account before updating. It does not transfer passwords
AMA 12366

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
Bob
I usedthe links you provided up at the top and my laptop is humming right along lickity split.

thanks

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8.1 and immediately installed Windows 10 the first day it was available. I have mixed feelings about it since it is soooo different.

The fact that Microsoft now is forcing you  to purchase Office Suite annually is a very big negative. In the past I used Word for everything. Can ou use older versions of Word with Windows 10?

Another simple thing like the disc save icon is gone.

I have no confidence that items that I draw in Cad will be saved . I usually save my work every few minutes to make sure that I don't lose anything.

A major problem is that if I watch a video on the Stunt Hanger, I cannot get back to the main forum without closing everything out and having to sign on again. It always asks "Do you want to close all tabs or cancel." There is no selection to close current item as in the past.

Another problem is that unlike the past, I cannot not have 2 items running at the same time. For example it will not let me play music and be on Stunt Hanger at the same time...

If you go to "Help", again it asks you if you want to close all tabs upon exiting.

Where is spell check if you are using Note Pad?

I am still using Windows 7 on my PC, and am reluctant to change.  It seems to be a whole lot friendlier. It will take time to get used to "10".
AMA 7544

John Leidle

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
  I bought a Win 8 laptop 3 years ago & it was a POS  so I sent it to the Happy Hunting Grounds & last Winter I bought a new Win 7 laptop . I have no idea what 10 does but I'm not willing to experiment & lose my Win 7 .
  John

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
It takes time to learn all the tricks, searching the internet really helps..

The fact that Microsoft now is forcing you  to purchase Office Suite annually is a very big negative. In the past I used Word for everything. Can ou use older versions of Word with Windows 10?

Not sure yet, I'm still using Office 97 on my XP machine and haven't tried to install it on 10. Went to Open Office on my Windows 7 64bit laptop, it wouldn't let me install Office 97.

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
It takes time to learn all the tricks, searching the internet really helps..

Not sure yet, I'm still using Office 97 on my XP machine and haven't tried to install it on 10. Went to Open Office on my Windows 7 64bit laptop, it wouldn't let me install Office 97.

Office 97 is WAY TOO OLD for Win 7 - 64 bit.  I use MS Office 2010 on my Win 7 desktop and MS Office 2013 on my 8.1 laptop.  (got both free so the price was right)

Alternatives to MS Office:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-free-microsoft-office-alternatives-5-suites-to-save-you-money-1139295
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
Quoting the late British veteranarian/author Alf Wight (aka James Herriot): "I have always abhorred change of any kind."

That statement applies especially to the Microsoft geeks who keep screwing around with a fine product (Windows 7).  If...or rather, 'when' Windows 7 no longer works, then I'll return to letters, postage stamps and phone calls.   HB~>

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
Tom;

I have not had any ofthose problems you re having at all.
The system works fine for me.

On our 2 Windows 7 laptops I installed Microsoft Office 2000 and on the
8.1 and 2 Windows 10 laptops, I have Office 2013 on those. With Office 2013, you can upload it to 3
macines one a month and it is done.

Carl
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:56:07 PM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
I'll stick with unix, thanks anyway.

Wacko! 

BTW -- any tips on talking my wife into switching, so I don't have to listen to her complain about Windows?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 05:41:00 AM »
Office 97 is WAY TOO OLD for Win 7 - 64 bit.  I use MS Office 2010 on my Win 7 desktop and MS Office 2013 on my 8.1 laptop.  (got both free so the price was right)

Who woulda thunk it. I just installed Office 97 on my Windows 10 (32bit) laptop and it works great. I only installed Word and Excel because those two are the only ones I really use and didn't install any of the accessories. So far I haven't found anything that I need that wouldn't install and work. This is the first OS Microsoft has released since XP that just may finally lure me away from XP.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
Ran across a good forum for questions and research on Windows 10.
http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-forums/

Seems to be active with knowledgeable users.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
>>BTW -- any tips on talking my wife into switching, so I don't have to listen to her complain about Windows?<<

My wife's Win 7 laptop finally puked. I bought her a new one and installed Fedora with a very Win 7 like interface (Cinnamon front end for gnome). To her, it looks and acts just like Windows so she's happy. I did have to port her genealogy program (I lucked out that they had a linux version so I didn't have to mess with wine or anything), but other than that, she can't tell the difference. Used Firefox just like she did anyway.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
I "reserved" a download of Win10 and scheduled the download for 4am PDT this morning. I left the computer churning and turned off the monitor last night. About 10am, I turned on the monitor and got the thing to start with a spinner-flip (joke).

Had to figure out how to import bookmarks, but that wasn't too tough. Appears to work alright so far. I didn't turn off AV or anything at all to prep for the download. I haven't been into my email yet, but I have confidence that it will work ok. My have to do some fiddling to get my choice of homepage to show itself at boot-up. I don't think it will be a huge problem. My guess is that the problems have been ironed out pretty well over the last couple of weeks. Just now went into my email account with no problems.   :)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »
 :)  Yeah, Steve, I did the same thing on my laptop here in my workshop and I've been very pleased so far with Win 10.  Yes, there's a few navigation thing I had to get used to but in general, I've been pleased.  And messing with Cortana has been a ball!!  Generally, I don't use it on a daily basis but I had fun playing with it when I first fired it up.  It's at least as good as Siri on/in my iPad  ;)  I also downloaded it to the desktop in the house that my wife uses and probably the only issue was having it transfer the bookmarks she uses.  So far, so good!!

Jim

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Ya the paranoia is all over the internet, although I didn't finish the video I'm hoping at the end they tell you that all the Big Brother stuff can be turned off. Think about it, business and government customers will not put up with that for a second and the only way M.S. can remain on top is by having Windows on business computers.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Ya the paranoia is all over the internet, although I didn't finish the video I'm hoping at the end they tell you that all the Big Brother stuff can be turned off. Think about it, business and government customers will not put up with that for a second and the only way M.S. can remain on top is by having Windows on business computers.

Well I turned everything off I hope is stays off!
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
Anyone else tired of those annoying pop-ups from the Microsoft geeks urging us to 'upgrade' to 10 every time we log-on?

Offline Bill Burton

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »
All of this is why I switched to Apple years ago.

BB

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
Whatever that means.  Like many of us old timers, I don't understand all this techno-talk.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »
Anyone else tired of those annoying pop-ups from the Microsoft geeks urging us to 'upgrade' to 10 every time we log-on?

Yes! I waited like and Idiot for weeks only to find out my computer wont run it.
I still don't know why I need it in the first place??
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »
Just before leaving for Buffalo a week ago I took my computer in for cleaning and a diagnostic tune up.  When I returned to the store I asked the teck about Windows 10. His advise was, "if you like what you have and it does all you want it to, stay with 7".  As I really like this guy and his work I intend to stay with what I have. At an age pushing 80, and being self taught with computers I really don't think I need the latest whistles and bells.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here