News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: a "hot" tip for Super-Fil users  (Read 2464 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
a "hot" tip for Super-Fil users
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »
I applied Super-Fil fillets this morning at about 10:00 AM. Then I put my airplane in my 90-95 degree garage. At 4:00 PM, the fillets were plenty firm enough to sand. Normally I have been waiting 24 hours.The fillets were maybe a bit softer than if they had cured for a full day, but that just made them easier to sand. Tomorrow I will give them a final light sanding with 400 grit.

Why put off until tomorrow.....

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: a "hot" tip for Super-Fil users
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
I still dislike the stuff, but this helps get the aggravation over with.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »
"Super-fil is the Best, Jerry. The BEST!"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
I sand my fillets in 7-10 minutes or less.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I use micro-balloons and epoxy.  H^^

I cannot say I dislike the Super-fill because I've never used it.  D>K

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
I applied Super-Fil fillets this morning at about 10:00 AM. Then I put my airplane in my 90-95 degree garage. At 4:00 PM, the fillets were plenty firm enough to sand. Normally I have been waiting 24 hours.The fillets were maybe a bit softer than if they had cured for a full day, but that just made them easier to sand. Tomorrow I will give them a final light sanding with 400 grit.

Why put off until tomorrow.....

Hey Bill,
Here in AZ in the summer time the stuff always sets up completely in about 4-5 hours.  Nothing like 110 degrees to hasten chemical reactions ... LL~ LL~ LL~

Personally I love the stuff...much easier to work with than the old Epoxylite crap...not quite as strong though.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
I just got my first batch of the stuff.  In the past I always had issues with the dope lifting off and blistering from epoxy based fillers.  Does dope stay stuck to it?

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
I use dope and Super-Fil and I put as light of a coat on the fillets as possible. Usually fillets are the last to be painted. Haven't had any trouble.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
I just got my first batch of the stuff.  In the past I always had issues with the dope lifting off and blistering from epoxy based fillers.  Does dope stay stuck to it?

Dave

Hi Dave,
I haven't had any problem with dope lifting from the Supe Fill.  I wipe the fillet with Isopropal alcohol and sand it lightly with 400 grit paper and apply the first dope coats with a brush.  The dope sticks much better than on the old stuff.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
Thanks guys for the info .  I asked Sparky about it as well at the Nats and he pretty much said don't put any dope on them- basically just overspray.  When I'm ready I think I'll just cross the fingers and toes,  brush on the first coat of clear then dust in the rest.  Hope they stay down. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »
Hi Dave,
 After a light sanding of the SuperFil, I brush on a couple coats of Brodak primer on the fillet area. I sand that lightly and then spray on my base coats, etc.. I have not had any lifting from the fillets since doing them this way in the past 5 years. It's great stuff.

Larry Fruits
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:43:20 PM by Larry Fruits »

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »

Dave

DC 540
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Thanks guys for the info .  I asked Sparky about it as well at the Nats and he pretty much said don't put any dope on them- basically just overspray.  When I'm ready I think I'll just cross the fingers and toes,  brush on the first coat of clear then dust in the rest.  Hope they stay down. 

Dave

Spray DC 540 on first and I said not to flood dope on the fillets just let it spray over
AMA 12366

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
Good grief! If you use leather fillets, they go on in about twenty minutes for the whole plane and suck in the dope!

Being porous you ain't a' gonna ever see the paint lifting. Plus, they are completely smooth and even, no ripples, variation or sanding required apply them, allow to dry a bit and get on with life.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
Good grief! If you use leather fillets, they go on in about twenty minutes for the whole plane and suck in the dope!

Being porous you ain't a' gonna ever see the paint lifting. Plus, they are completely smooth and even, no ripples, variation or sanding required apply them, allow to dry a bit and get on with life.

Many winners have leather fillets:
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
No, Howard, cows have filets, not fillets. Buffalo have fillets around their buffalo wings!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here