News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 2015  (Read 3025 times)

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 2015
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
Announcing IN Just Two Months!!! October 3rd and 4th

The 8th Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Ring, a forum devoted primarily to the wonderful old time Ringmaster control line model airplanes. http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info

The Fly-A-Thon is a non-competitive event to honor the plane that many of us older US and Canadian modelers flew back in the 50s, 60s 70s and 80s but more importantly it is to promote Control Line modeling worldwide!

Any of the Ringmaster varieties can be flown for this event (S-1, S-1A, RM Junior, RM Baby, RM Sportster, etc.)!! Simply stated, we want to see how many Ringmaster flights can be recorded over a single weekend, the first weekend in October (10/3-4/2015). Our goal is to have 3250 over that weekend. Last year we recorded 2714 flights in countries around the World! The simple rules are stated below and I want to direct particular attention to the last paragraph.

If you are also a RC club member, you are no doubt aware that many younger RC pilots have never seen control line models fly nor have they attempted to fly a control line model. It would be educational fun for the uninitiated, if your RC club would set aside a circle in a corner of your field and you could use a Ringmaster to put up some flights. More fun yet if some of your members have a try at flying a Ringmaster for an initial control line solo. It doesn’t have to be for a FULL tank of fuel – most new pilots will get dizzy after a minute or two. Give this some thought. It could make for an interesting event at your club. Poll your members at the next meeting or flying session and find out what they think about this event.

Control line clubs can hold a special “Fun-Fly” that weekend to participate in the Fly-A-Thon!  Your control line club should be able to put up a large number of flights. Even if you are at a contest over the weekend bring a Ringmaster and put up some flights in the practice circle or at the end of the day.

Individual fliers cane fly alone or get together with friends and record some Ringmaster flights!!

There are no prizes only the right to brag and the knowledge that you are flying with other control line pilots around the World while participating in the largest Control Line Fun-Fly ever!

The Word doc, PDF and jpg (image) files attached below are for a Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon informational flier/poster which you can download and print. Feel free to distribute the flier to your local hobby shop, fellow control line fliers and anyone else that you think would be interested. It can easily be attached to an email.

Here are the rules:
On October 3 & 4, 2015 we challenge you to fly any one or more of the many Ringmasters, old or new, and report your flights to:      2015flyathon@ringmasterflyathon.com

Deadline for reporting is 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight time (USA) Tuesday October 6, 2015
Location: Wherever you are! Please report how many different Ringmasters flew, how many pilots flew, how many total Ringmaster flights were made and the location of these flights. Also, if you get someone new to solo on a Ringmaster, that 1st flight will count as 2 flights! Let us know how many new solo flights we have too!

If this will help promote new fliers by flying the same plane so many of us started with, this would be a bonus!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:40:32 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
Well if you are going to participate in the World's largest control line Fun-Fly, you need access to a Ringmaster!

If you don't have and can't buy, beg, borrow or steal one, you will need to build one. You can buy kits from suppliers such as Brodak, RSM Distribution and others but if you want to scratch build one here are plans files for two Ringmasters. Just download the file (s) and take the file (s) to a copy shop or office supply store and have them print them at 100% and you will have full sized plans for an S-1 Ringmaster and/or a Baby (1/2 A) Ringmaster.

Have fun (I scratch build and it is a great feeling to have done it all yourself)!!

Thanks to Pat King patdk@aol.com for these plans!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:14:35 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »
If you really want to build a "quick and easy" Ringmaster, here is a file for the "Beginner's" Ringmaster! it is 1/2 A slab wing and goes together in an evening!

Thanks to Pat King patdk@@aol.com for the plans
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:15:54 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
Think I have enough already. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
Fellow control line model airplane enthusiast Mile O'Neill has a Blog called Fly-Boyz.

He posts interesting information about Control Line modeling and other Aviation stories. He has just posted about the upcoming 8th Annual Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon. You can see it at the link below. He lists downloads for the 2015 8th Fly-A-Thon informational flyer and also for the 2014 (7th) Final Results tabulation.

You might want to register/join the blog and Mike will send you an email link to each new post that he makes.

http://www.flyboyzblog.com/8th-annual-worldwide-ringmaster-fly-a-thon/
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
I have a couple little ones ready. And a number of kits ready so others can join in.
Mr. Bob
Counryline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on facebook
Everyone needs a ringmaster

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:19:09 AM »
Hummmmmm!!  ::) I think I need 3 or 4 more .... just to be on the safe side ??? !!  I've seen the results of me flying  :o    LL~ LL~

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
Wow, A dozen Ringmasters!

Your challenge now is to fly two at once - one handle in your left hsnd and the other in your right!

I actually saw Jim Walker fly three (not Ringmasters) at the 1950 Plymouth International contest in Detroit! He had a helmet with a handle attached to the top. I believe he was flying Fireballs. Long time ago and I can't swear for sure that they were Fireballs.  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
Jim Carter's Red Baron Ringmaster tri-plane is a beautiful model!

You can not really appreciate it in his photos so here is a closer view.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
Guess I will have to pull the smaller Ringmasters off the hooks.  Even have one set up for carrier.   But, I concede to Jim for number of Ringmasters.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
Wow, A dozen Ringmasters!

Your challenge now is to fly two at once - one handle in your left hsnd and the other in your right!

I actually saw Jim Walker fly three (not Ringmasters) at the 1950 Plymouth International contest in Detroit! He had a helmet with a handle attached to the top. I believe he was flying Fireballs. Long time ago and I can't swear for sure that they were Fireballs.  y1

LL~ LL~ John, jus' seein' one of 'em in my hands, much less two, is enough to set great fear deep into the hearts of mighty men of valor!!   LL~ LL~

Jim Roselle

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
If you're in the Phoenix area:

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
This is a post over on my facebook Group Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.

There are probably more US West Coast fliers here on Stunt Hanger so I'm copying it here. Post your event here and I will copy it the facebook Group.

Anybody in the Northern California area? If so, where are the fly-a-thon locations? I've seen the Napa old time stunt event in Model Aviation, but I am unsure if it's a contest or fun-fly type event. I web searched and found an event in Oakland specifically for the Ringmaster. Just curious if there are any other places/events I may have overlooked as I'm not very familiar with the Northern California area. Thanks
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
Good News

Attila Csontos posted an image of the Slovakian "Invitation" over on My facebook Group, Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon, and that prompted the following exchange between us. https://www.facebook.com/groups/RingmasterFlyAThon/permalink/1035288209828470/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

John Cralley: Attila, Is there any chance of getting Igor Berger to fly with you this year? It would be wonderful to have the World Champion F2B pilot fly in the Fly-A-Thon!

Attila Csontos: Yes... I did all steps to fulfill you wish  ;D  Third (Slovakian) party of Ringmasters, (the) Fly-A-Thon, will be fly in city Trencin. Exactly at this time there will meeting of Slovak and Czech C/L community. Igor also will be there...and Ringmaster for those group is ready  ;) (and also cameras are ready too  ;) )!!
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »
That is great.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here