News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another drone incident  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Another drone incident
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
Again it sounds fishy to me. An aircraft on approach at 1700 ft. will be on the ground, parked and shut down in less than the  30 minutes claimed between conversations.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »
I'm gettin' a little sick of all these drone threads.

MM

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
I'm gettin' a little sick of all these drone threads.

MM

Then dont read them

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
Right on, Mike!

If anyone doubts this, it was reported on THREE SEPARATE news stations yesterday.

This morning, another report.

Also, another guy shot one down - GOOD FOR HIM! I would do the same.

The sad thing is that these scumbags who are pulling this crap are ruining it for some people who really enjoy the toy drones.

And, for anyone who does not like my posts, DON'T READ THEM.

Bob Z.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
While the Guy stated that he saw a drone flying about 100 ft away from him I have to wonder a few things.....
How big was this drone to be seen by a md-80 on landing approach ??? The fact that 3 news stations reported it means NOTHING. Wasn't there a couple that claimed there kid was inside a weather balloon a while back ? and how many stations fell for his story.  So if it was a quadcopter how big was it and at what speed was it going ??? To stay with them it would have to go 180 mph ? So for that to be possible we are talking a very big quadcopter.
If its a drone like  the predator or something we are talking industrial sized ??? and to be at 1700 feet how is it being controller ? Definitely , does not sound like any sore bought thing. Maybe a city owned drone ???

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
OK, OK, Jim - you're right and all the news media is wrong.
I guess pilot reports don't mean squat.

And, as you stated, the news reports mean NOTHING.

From now on, I'll consider any and all drone reports to be total bull - that should please you.

Bob Z.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
I think a thrown net would do the job without endangering anyone.  Maybe a South American Bolo? A boomerang? Just having fun, officer, sorry the drone got hit..... VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »
If you want to get all flapped up about something, over 32,000 people died in car crashes in the US in 2013, and cars are still legal, in spite of killing way more people than drones.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
If you want to get all flapped up about something, over 32,000 people died in car crashes in the US in 2013, and cars are still legal, in spite of killing way more people than drones.
S?P
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »
I ran over 20 ducks at 250 knots on initial climb in an MD-80 and never saw any of them. I did feel them though. Those Delta guys must be super men. If it was that close and they could see it, I'd bet it was there and some kinda long odds that they were able to see it though. The windows aren't very big and visual range of sight is not so hot.
Here's a 5 pound duck strike, 5 went down the left engine and never made any indication or power changes. Chip Shanle was my FO, (he's the guy that flew the radio controlled 727 into a controlled crash in Mexico a few years back, also a novelist).
It'll take a big drone to cause much damage. Where are the operators of these things, flying at a model field at Floyd Bennett? Was it really 100 feet off of the wing, 100 feet low? Remember that military pilots often refer to civilian small airplanes as dangerous operations, and below 10,000 feet as "indian country" (I reserve the right as a Cherokee to say that) in reference to Piper airplane names. Perhaps the FO (right wing) was trying to impress his captain? Or maybe it was really high. Or... maybe it really was close. Must've been doing the Canarsie.
Chris...

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 10:48:59 PM »

Well, to be fair, that's out of an absolutely astronomical number of passenger-miles, and the rate has dropped dramatically over the years. And, cars have very clear utilitarian uses for many people. Drones are either toys with no intrinsic value, or commercial operations that could reasonably be regulated.

BTW, I tend to agree with your implied point about laws/licensing associated with drones. There's no problem in the world that cannot be made worse by government regulation. Once the current fad fades, I think RC aircraft are a reasonable model for community control. It's just a matter of how many "incidents" there are before that happens.

Check out "Do you speak model airplane?" by Dave Thornburg and note the hysteria over FF gas models, the AMA is playing the same game now. All gas models from the early 30's on were supposed to be "licensed" by the AMA, no license, you are violating the law. They made the law and that resolved the issue, even though only a tiny fraction of gas models were ever actually licensed. Same with RC, until very recently, you were supposed to get an FCC license to operate your transmitter, but only a very tiny fraction of people flying RC ever did that, and early on, some manufacturers sold 10 x more RC sets (on illegal frequencies) than there were license holders in the country. No one got tossed in jail for illegal transmitters.

They are making a big noise about regulating it through the "community" to satisfy people calling for regulation - not to actually do much regulation.

Brett

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
Sorry...but I get skeptical when a pilot calls Floyd Bennett Field "that abandoned airport"....

Drones are here to stay.....the AMA is making a significant effort to draw the purchasers into membership, in hopes that the buyers will learn SOME of the rules and learn to fly them with consideration to others....

I would imagine that the AMA's success rate will be similar to their efforts to draw "Park Fliers" into the fold.....they'll get a few...

The hope is that the drone guys and gals that join the AMA will learn, and maybe even practice the safety that the Academy advocates......and even spread the word to their non-AMA member drone fliers.

Have fun!

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 05:57:27 PM »

Yea, and all that carnage was caused by regulated/tested and all law abiding citizens (and a few others).  Yep, all we have to do is make some hard laws about being safe and the 32M deaths will become a thing of the past. Making tough laws about flying g R/C Drones will reduce all the stupidity we watched on the 20 minute video as shown in this thread.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here