Blank
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:18:29 PM by Air Master »

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Arrest of man shooting drone down snooping in his yard
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:03 AM »
We had discussed this scenario in another thread and I honestly can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing, being the father of 2 daughters.

In this case, what should have been registered, the gun or the drone?   S?P
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Eric Viglione

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
I'm thinking potato or bean bag launcher would work best, have the smallest legal exposure and best chance of a solid hit.
EricV

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
Hmmmmmm 40mm Glock?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
A Glock sounds cool, right until you make the 6 o'clock news... in handcuff's.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »
Or just build yourself one of ***these  >:D

***For educational purposes only, jammers which blocks GPS, Cellular communication and/or WIFI are illegal in the United States.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »
I'm unable to identify the I.C.s  Where is the source for Sky65116 and FF2317  ?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
I'm unable to identify the I.C.s  Where is the source for Sky65116 and FF2317  ?

Floyd

Google?  Sky is a new IC manufacturer, or at least a new name in the US.  The other chips look like RF2317.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »

Floyd

If memory serves, the earliest jammers were spark gap based jammers... really broad spectrum and down and dirty. This is a bit more targeted.

The parts are listed as:
Linear Power Amplifier: the Skyworks SKY65116: 390–500 MHz power amplifier. With internal matching impedance to 50 ohms.
Linear Power Amplifier: Two RFMD RF2317 linear CATV amplifier

Not sure about sources, but I'd guess google or Mouser is your friend for stuff like this.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Skyworks-Solutions-Inc/SKY65116-21/?qs=WMHGlxXAKT%252bNpjoBZn4QMw%3D%3D
http://www.rfmd.com/store/catv-amplifiers/rf2317-1.html

EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
I'm thinking a bow and arrow.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Just get a drone to battle the drones, like that show robot wars.

MM

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »
To bad the video footage retrieved from the drone shows the drone was at least 200 feet away not 20 and facing a different direction than the guy shooting it.  Just as the drone pilot said he was photographing his friends house and skyline scenery.   Dumb sh*t gun owners creating bad pub for gun owners like me, and drone pilots, like me.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
I am  bit confused here....
I have NO problem with people flying a drone in a park or any open space.
But there is a limit on where they can fly with regards to model airplane parks and such with regards to the existing rules.
They have to follow all the flight rules that such a field has and ignoring them should make them  for any damages they incur . There is NO right  that you have to run naked and be worried about whom might have filmed it in public. So if they were to fly in a park you have no need to be looking to shoot it down or anything else.
But for the most part I think some of the fpv drones open up flying to a new kind of enjoyable flight potential. Kind of like wanting to have an airbike like they had in "Revenge of the Jedi". You fly through the trees zooming past them in first person video.
But when used to film what your neighbor is doing in the privacy of their own home or even yard that I see as a problem.
But using a gun in city limits is always a problem. And shooting a potato is also a lawsuit in the making. Anything you shoot has to come to rest someplace and ANY damages You will be liable for.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
To bad the video footage retrieved from the drone shows the drone was at least 200 feet away not 20 and facing a different direction than the guy shooting it.  Just as the drone pilot said he was photographing his friends house and skyline scenery.   Dumb sh*t gun owners creating bad pub for gun owners like me, and drone pilots, like me.

200 feet? Over 60 yards? Hell, I never killed a duck THAT far away!  LL~

We used to call those guys "Skyscraping" when the ducks came in at 200' and all they did was scare them away. (Dumb Schyt's)  No, I don't hunt anymore..........

This guy must of had some pretty big pellets in those shot gun shells to reach out 60 yds.  JMO

Jerry

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »
wouldn't take much to bring a quad down...and I wouldn't want to be hit by a 12 gauge even at 60 yards...JMO

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 05:08:06 AM »
How about a drone designed to take out another drone? Kamikaze drones.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
 ???  I've read and followed this thread but I think the one thing that the folks supporting the shooter forget because I think it's more like bad news for him!! Those pellets/shot are going to come down somewhere .... hopefully not on someones head, in someones eye or on a picnickers hamburger or hotdog resulting in a cracked tooth or something!! Apparently there was little to no consideration given to the downrange impact area or should that be a concern? What if it was your property in the impact range?? your family??  your pets??  your neighbors??  Jus' askin' !!   ???

Mike Griffin

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
Jim if you have ever done any Dove hunting in your life, you have been sprinkled with buckshot.  I have had idiots shoot at lowflying Doves directly across the field from me.  I can't count the number of times I have been sprinkled with birdshot and it does not hurt.  A falling rifle bullet such as a 30/30 would hurt and probably kill you if it hit you in the head.  If one lives in a densely populated subdivision, it is not a good idea to fir off any weapon because of the chance of collateral damage although I understand why the man did it.  If I lived in the country like I used I and wish I still did, I would not hesitate for a moment to pull out my Remington 870 3 1/2" magnum and blow that thing into a million pieces,

Mike

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
A couple of years ago they legalized fireworks in Michigan.  A really annoying pain in the butt.
Furthermore, the Lansing gov-a-mint prohibited local governments for banning fireworks.  Now it's WIDE open fireworks all the time.

So in my state you could open fire on the drone with rockets, mortars, and aerial bombs and nobody could charge you with anything, as long as you launched from within your open property, or with the permission of the property owner.  
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
Jim if you have ever done any Dove hunting in your life, you have been sprinkled with buckshot.  I have had idiots shoot at lowflying Doves directly across the field from me.  I can't count the number of times I have been sprinkled with birdshot and it does not hurt.  A falling rifle bullet such as a 30/30 would hurt and probably kill you if it hit you in the head.  If one lives in a densely populated subdivision, it is not a good idea to fir off any weapon because of the chance of collateral damage although I understand why the man did it.  If I lived in the country like I used I and wish I still did, I would not hesitate for a moment to pull out my Remington 870 3 1/2" magnum and blow that thing into a million pieces,

Mike
Hi Mike!  Yes I've done a bit of bird hunting in my life, maybe not a much as so many others.  I guess my point was to give consideration to a scenario where a family / kids playing in their back yard or field in back of their house get peppered with shot, be it #9 or #00!!  I wouldn't be a very happy camper whether city or country.  Yet, I'll grant you the likely hood of a critical injury is ever so slight I don't believe you'd want to "green light" any behavior that would ever place one of your loved ones or even just your friends/neighbors loved ones at risk and I honestly believe in the right of any person to defend their privacy and property .... within reasonable civilized limits.  It's finding a viable definition to the term "reasonable civilized limits".

As a kid my dad believed and taught that my rights end "at the tip of my nose"!!  In other words, my physical body .... touch it with the intent to harm it and it would be my right and responsibility to respond anyway necessary .... other than that I have no right to strike out, wouldn't you agree??.  Sixty six years and successful career into retirement and in all things that teaching seems to have served me well.  It kept me from too many fights (as a kid) and out of the courts and the jails as an adult.

Carelessness and lack of concern for the safety of others has caused more arguments, strife and heartache resulting in all too many, all too late apologies across society and just because one person is thoughtless or self seeking, does that give another the "right" to get even, to take matters into their own hand, to risk anyone else or their property because of the need to seek vengeance, or put the wrong doer in their place?  I'm just asking because each and every person has to make their own split second decision based on their mindset at the moment .... I just hope it's the correct decision because the wrong decision can land one behind bars just like the subject of this thread, wouldn't you agree??

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
Just saw this on a fishing forum & thought you'd enjoy it. The drone operator didn't seem happy, but nobody was arrested. Cool video, anyway!  LL~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
Yep. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. That fisherman  on the first try. Way to go..

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks.   Isn't that music from a Clint Eastwood movie?

"The Good The Bad and The Ugly"  Sergio Leone Production. (I think)  There were several others made using the same character and theme type.  "A Fist Full of Dollars", and "For a Few Dollars More".

All Classic Eastwood!

Incidentally I used to be a Serious competitive Trap Shooter and I have on occassion broken Clay birds at as much as 80 yards with hot 2 3/4 inch no. 6 shot hand loads.  I can tell you that it would probably hurt a bit if it hit you but definitely not penetrate enough to cause any serious damage.  Something like 00 Buck is another story.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
I like the casting rod idea best of all.  Maybe reel the multi rotor in and ask for ransom.  Don't these so called people know how much damage could be done if there is loss of control.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Luiz Carlos Franco

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 06:49:08 PM »
May be learning falconeering could be a soluition !!!
See video in link below

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/eagle-swats-drone-out-of-sky/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here