News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: lost foam glue  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
lost foam glue
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »

Somewhere I read that you can glue balsa to foam using white/yellow glue, but the memory bank is low on cash so I don't remember all the details..
 So can anybody refresh my memory??
                                     T I A...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: lost foam glue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
Yes, white glue and yellow glue work well.  You want to make sure that you give things time for the moisture to get out, though -- don't assembly in the morning and paint that evening or you'll have a heavy & weak join.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
Somewhere I read that you can glue balsa to foam using white/yellow glue, but the memory bank is low on cash so I don't remember all the details..
 So can anybody refresh my memory??
                                     T I A...

If you are applying wood to a foam wing use Z poxy and wipe it all off. Weight it in the cradle. You will think there is not enough glue to hold it but it will.

AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Robert,

Watched the video. I have some foam I'll be sheeting.

Hair spray. Did I miss where you explained it's use? Or what happens when it isn't used?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:58:59 AM »
Good Morning Charles;

Robert of course can confirm, but my recollection is that a light coating of hairspray is applied on the side of the sheeting which is to be attached to the cores before the epoxy is applied.  It help minimize the amount of resin which is absorbed into the sheeting...

r/
Dave

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:53:43 AM »
Guy's I sure do thank y'all for the responses, they have been a big help..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
Good Morning Charles;

Robert of course can confirm, but my recollection is that a light coating of hairspray is applied on the side of the sheeting which is to be attached to the cores before the epoxy is applied.  It help minimize the amount of resin which is absorbed into the sheeting...

r/
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Even though I seen Robert do it, I'm afraid to do it that way.  n~

Seeing is believing and Robert does know his stuff.

I'm wondering what little weight is necessary to still pull it off? The foam I'm sheeting has no cores.

Is Z Poxy just Z Poxy? Or is it 5 min, 45 min, 24 hr?

Thanks
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
Charles;

Z-poxy is Zap Products name for their finishing resin.  They also offer 'traditional' epoxies with varying cure times...  According to the manufacturer, it has a 20 - 30 minute working time, and a cure time of 3 hours.

r/
Dave

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
Charles;

Z-poxy is Zap Products name for their finishing resin.  They also offer 'traditional' epoxies with varying cure times...  According to the manufacturer, it has a 20 - 30 minute working time, and a cure time of 3 hours.

r/
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Robert left his overnight?

What's the point of that if it cures in 3 hours?  n~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »
Almost all epoxies take 24 hours for fullcure.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here