News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trying to find a muffler  (Read 2719 times)

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
trying to find a muffler
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
I am asking all over that I am trying to locate a muffler for my OS MAX-H 40 eng. I think but not sure that the engine will on except band clamp style. You look in the port and there is bolt holes with threads in the holes. Myself I prefer bolts than a clamp. Thinking about buying a tongue muffler with clamp. I would like to have both so I have an option during test flights. My tank is uniflow pressurized or not....doesn't matter. I find that the OS MAX runs better for me if the tank is pressurized. To me it seems a better 4-2.   I am wanting used because I am on budget from the wife, think we can all relate....LOL. ;D
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: trying to find a muffler
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:19 AM »
Tom,
The OS #703 is the factory strap-on muffler. Unfortunately, they are somewhat tough to find. I have a couple H 40s but only one muffler. Keep an eye on Ebay as they do show up occasionally.

One of my winter projects is to make some strap on mufflers from Dubro muffler extension stock. I have 5 or 6 engines that need one and the old Dubro Muffl Aires are also hard to come by.

Good luck with your search!
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
Tom,

I believe I have that 703 OS muffler, strap and all.

PM me if you still need one.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »

One of my winter projects is to make some strap on mufflers from Dubro muffler extension stock. I have 5 or 6 engines that need one and the old Dubro Muffl Aires are also hard to come by.

thank you for the info. I will do some research and look at the Dubro muffler extension. Do you know Dubro stock number?
Tom
AMA 1073788

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Tom: If you can post the exact center-to-center hole spacing in the exhaust port, we may be able to fit a Brodak tongue muffler.

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:54:22 PM »
thank you for the info. I will do some research and look at the Dubro muffler extension. Do you know Dubro stock number?
It looks like it's Dubro # 213, Tom.

http://shop.dubro.com/p/6-exhaust-extension-stock-qty-pkg-1

I bought 2 at a hobby shop in Pensacola 2 weeks ago for $6 each. The Dubro link is a little deceiving. All you get is the stock material. The Dubro add is showing you what you can make from it (the top of the picture with the short piece and the bolts).

I figure I'll cut a 2" piece, attach it with either a Enya muffler strap or a 5/16" wide hose clamp (much narrower then the typical 5/8" hose clamp), slap on an end cap made of 6061 aluminum, and drill enough holes in the top and/or bottom to match the engine exhaust area. Altogether, about $5 in material, 4 drilled and tapped 4-40 holes (2 for strap, 2 for end cap), and the actual exhaust holes.

I think that will work until I can get my shop (and drill press) set up and then I'll drill the crankcases for stock tongue mufflers.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »
Tom: If you can post the exact center-to-center hole spacing in the exhaust port, we may be able to fit a Brodak tongue muffler.

Bob Z.
[/quote      

total O.D. of port in length is 1.544 inches (39.22 mm) and total O.D. height of port is .362 inches  (9.20mm). Do you want the tongue muffler to fit over the port right? On my OS MAX-H 40 the port do extend a little from the head
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:26:38 PM by tom creasey »
Tom
AMA 1073788

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
Hi, Tom - the tongue muffler fits flat against the exhaust port, not over it.
When you look into the port, you should see two holes.
I need the center to center spacing of those holes.

Bob Z.

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:10:23 AM »
Hi, Tom - the tongue muffler fits flat against the exhaust port, not over it.
When you look into the port, you should see two holes.
I need the center to center spacing of those holes.

Bob Z.
Center to center is 1.302 inches
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »
how is the tongue muffler designed with back pressure adjustment? Whats it look like inside?
Tom
AMA 1073788

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
Hi, Tom.
Unfortunately, there are no Brodak mufflers that will fit your engine.
As far as I know, the only way to adjust back pressure in a tongue muffler is by enlarging or blocking off the holes.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here