News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: John D'Ottavio  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
John D'Ottavio
« on: July 27, 2015, 07:17:32 AM »
John Passed away this morning. He will always be with me and his many friends in the northeast and in Texas.
AMA 7544

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
Re: John D'Ottavio
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear this. John's energy and general outlook
made it a pleasure to be around him. Another great guy who
will be sorely missed.

Steve

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
I spoke with John Friday...Rich Giacobone, Buddy Weider, Tom Hampshire and Bob Hunt were regular visitors to John in the nursing home.
John was always willing to help fliers at any level. He was also a LOT of fun! And a great flier for many, many years.
Above all, he was a gentleman.

I'll miss him.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »
Another of our 'Greats' gone.  He was a kick to be around on the LPad.  He was usually telling me to 'put a little clay' in the nose of my airplane.  Not sure it was ever enough.  I'll miss him.  He also gave me hope to still be flying at 90.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
John became a friend the minute I met him. He insisted I fly his Windy "green airplane". He helped me lay the hardwood floor in our dining room- about eighty years old and could drive floor bolts just bending at his waist! We talked a lot, he told me of his service as a SeaBee in the Pacific, it was tough. Very tough. He returned from the War, signed up in flooring school, bought his tools and used them for about seventy years! He was very proud of his 20 ft. steel yardstick...if Heaven needs a new floor, they've got the man to do it.

There was a lot more to him than model planes, he touched everyone he met, and he never met a stranger.

Rest in peace, John,
dale g

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
I never met him but have enjoyed watching him in Windy's videos. Love how he could bend way over at the waist to launch a plane.
Seemed like a very sharp fellow.
My condolences to all that knew him.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear this. John's energy and general outlook
made it a pleasure to be around him. Another great guy who
will be sorely missed.

Steve

+1!

This guy was awesome!  I remember when he was in TX and I would think, "If I had as much energy now in my 30s as he has in his 70s I would be kicking A$$!"  HA!

The first time I saw him launch a plane bent at the waste I thought it was crazy. But then after a while that was just the way it was.  :) :) :)

He always made me smile and always had a good story.  He will be missed.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
John was a good friend to me. Always enjoyed his company, he was gentlemen that's for sure.
Blessings to Johns family.

Allen

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
Another hero gone.  I remember him from the NATS I attended.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
Great guy to be around!  One of my favorite memories when he showed up at the PAMPA banquet with "Miss Reno Air Racer" (aka Amy from the Ramada Inn) on his arm. Looked like the cat who ate the canary even though he could have been her great-grandfather.

Brett

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
A lot of the younger waitresses at the 12th Street Café are no doubt going to be heartbroken when they learn the news...

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »
John was a great guy. I always enjoyed seeing him at Brodaks and the NJ contests. My condolences to his friends and family.

-Chris

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
I did meet John a few years ago at Brodaks. He was very witty and enjoyed being at the field.
My condolences to the family.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
In my early days of Stunt John was a real help to me, a nobody! Didn't matter to him I was an older middle-aged guy trying to do this thing! He was patient and kind in his suggestions to me. My wife and I saw him at Dolphie's Restaurant in Masontown, PA in 2014 and he was sharp! I am saddened to learn of his passing.
Condolences to his family.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
I was fortunate enough to join the circle burners and get to see John while he was still flying, he just seemed like he was having a ball every time he flew and it was a priveledge to know him, Godspeed to you John , and thanks for the memories T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Eric Viglione

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
I knew John D from his last couple trips to the Nat's mostly, and in print. When he talked to me, I got the impression he thought he knew me forever. He'd just give you the benefit of the doubt, if you were a CL guy, you must be ok. Went out to eat a couple times with the John and the gang, and no waitress was safe from his charms, he was always a threat with the ladies.
Very sad, loosing another friend and great icon in stunt. Stunt News obit's are going to take over the regular articles at this rate.
EricV

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:40 PM »
Here are some more pictures of my second father. I will never forget John drilling me on round maneuvers at Rich's Hobbytowne in NJ. He had me do them over and over and over......! He always had another flying trick to help my pattern. I wish that I could remember them all. Bud Wieder and I shed some tears yesterday talking about John. We were very close to him.
AMA 7544

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
I also never met John.  I enjoyed watching him fly on Windy videos and hope to be able to fly everyday late in life like John.  I haven't seen a better looking upright mounted engine in a model airplane then his design the "Jerseyan".   

Charles Carter

John Leidle

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
   I was lucky enough to judge Classic at the 2001 Nats with Mike Scott & Big John, I further got to know John the following year doing the same .We talked a bit between flights & we got to know each other some,,, he told me he couldn't stay the complete week in Muncie because he had a floor to put in for some lady in Kansas City,, John was into his 80's at that time ,he was a tough old bird for sure. Some of the younger people in this country could of learned from him  my fondest memory of John was watching him fly a big plane at the Nats that was powered by a piped engine..
    Thanks for the memories John.
        John L.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »
I first met John D at the old Edison NJ contest.  I had entered Beginner.  We ended up sitting together watching the planes fly and he telling story after story to me like we'd known each other for years.  Wish I had had a tape recorder...

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
John D was laid to rest Friday.....
He wished that donations to the Wounded Warrior Project be made....

Thanks

Advertise Here

Advertise Here