News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:09:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT: The other guys  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OT: The other guys
« on: July 26, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
http://www.ffmongolia2015.mn/

Looks like the Klamath basin.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: OT: The other guys
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
FF models sure have changed!  They are UGLY
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 06:18:59 AM »
Beauty's in the eye of the beholder Floyd.......................(you're right)
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
Fai Power models have not changed much in over 30+ years. In 1960 I used a elliptical wing with a goldberg 610 airfoil. The last model I built in 1972 had a aluminum wing that folded at the dihedral joint  and opened flat as the motor cut off. I was getting 28,000 back in 1972. My model looked pretty much like today's models.That model would do over 150 MPH in the clime. 6x4.5 prop on K&B custom .15 motor.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:37:01 PM »
Some of the old timers were a bit homely too, but my old Playboy Sr. and this scaled down Lanzo Bomber are pretty when gliding in after shutting off the ignition. Very relaxing to fly after flying a few stunt flights. With all my aches and pains I am leaning a little more toward flying them more and a little less control line. It is a place to use my ignition engines that I love to run either way.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
Au Contraire!  There is no model more appealing than a FF Zeek!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Tim. FYI, nothing better than watching 12-15 F1A's circling in a thermal at Taft, California...the thermal that you found and launched into first. Or, the thermal that the guy that tried to "piggyback" off you that was a wee bit too late to get under your glider and catch the lift and his came down instead of going up. Or, having a "clean score" (all maxes) at the end of the first day...well not as good as being at the top after the third day, but they don't do that anymore. Ah, the memories. I remember seeing lawn chairs 50' in the air in a "Taft Trash Mover", along with papers and tarps and garbage bags spewing litter. And seeing Skydivers jump at a good altitude...and go UP...  y1 Steve
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:29:01 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:57 AM »
Speaking of Mongolia, here's the wife of the guy who builds my airplanes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
And in authentic Mongolian costume (except for the Hello Kitty watch):
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 06:34:24 AM »
Au Contraire!  There is no model more appealing than a FF Zeek!

I think you meant appalling Mike!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:36:08 AM »
Some of the old timers were a bit homely too, but my old Playboy Sr. and this scaled down Lanzo Bomber are pretty when gliding in after shutting off the ignition. Very relaxing to fly after flying a few stunt flights. With all my aches and pains I am leaning a little more toward flying them more and a little less control line. It is a place to use my ignition engines that I love to run either way.

Always liked the Playboy Jim, everything about it looks "right" and that's always attractive to me.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Back in the day when free flight models were "elegant"......

This is the Goldberg "Sailplane".  Climbs up slowly in a big spiral.  Inspiring to watch it go up.  The old O&R 60 chugging along at 6000 RPM.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
Gee, I know the wife of the guy that builds your planes, Howard. Go figure.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
That is beautiful Floyd. It is just to windy in Kansas to fly old timers without a radio to bring them home. 

Jim Kraft

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »
Speaking of Mongolia, here's the wife of the guy who builds my airplanes.

Whoa!  When was that taken?
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
Whoa!  When was that taken?

A couple years ago.  She made several trips to Mongolia when their airline bought a 767.  Lots of guys at the airline are modelers, so I'd gather engines, lines, and stuff for them when they came to Seattle.  Battulga, an RC combat flier, went with Marilou to a seat supplier in Denton.  Capt. Gleason took him for a ride in the Cub.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
Well, Jim, I'm too old to chase planes, and I never did like running across fields.  This Sailplane has R/C rudder and elevator, so I don't have far to go finding it.

I once went 50-50 buying a chase motorcycle with Tom Lay.  We both used it many times at the old Taft field. When I moved to Oregon, I gave Tommie my half of the bike.

Floyd

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
Smart move Floyd. I only have one free flight and that is a Dakota Bipe. Every time I fly it it ends in a tree somewhere. I need to do a little more trimming on it. It climbs out fine in a gentle circle but when the motor quits it goes into a really flat glide that seems to go forever. My wife gets tired of holding the ladder for me.
Jim Kraft

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
Joe Wagner's "Dakota" is a classic model.  My first one was built while in high school.  Powered with the "new" K&B "Infant".  It circled not over 100 ft. high, and always came down close by.

This one has a Cox reed valve, a cranky motor!  When it decides to run, the plane goes in a very predictable  circle and no trees!

Floyd

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »
Picture album of the complete Mongolia World Free Flight Champs, from opening ceremonies to closing ceremonies. It looks like a wonderful experience...and was reported to be such by many participants. This photo album belongs to an Aussie, so shows a lot of their team members and associates.

I recognize a few faces here and there, mostly among the Australian and American team members (three Yanks are from the NW). I took my dirt bike to California in '79, '93 and 2001 World Champs to retrieve for the Australian  team. It was fun but a lot of work, and my neck bones didn't like it very well. It would have been fun to go to Mongolia, tho... :'( Steve

https://www.flickr.com/photos/motor-racing-photography/albums/72157656678659490/page1
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »
I was there, it was absolute the nicest world champs (cl or ff) I've ever participated.
Field was somehing like 10x20km of good grass, closest to that are only our frozen lakes in Scandinavia and maybe Lost Hills CA.
Ger accomodation at the contest site was nice, you rarely have the possibility to fly straight at your front door:)
Weather was tricky, everything between dead calm  and 8m/s limit. And thermals were aggressive but short lasting; if you are a few seconds late it won't max. That's what I did at 6th round.
High altitude (5000ft) required some trim changes compared to home.
Hopefully I can go there again!

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »
Picture album of the complete Mongolia World Free Flight Champs, from opening ceremonies to closing ceremonies. It looks like a wonderful experience...and was reported to be such by many participants. This photo album belongs to an Aussie, so shows a lot of their team members and associates.
---snip---

https://www.flickr.com/photos/motor-racing-photography/albums/72157656678659490/page1

Malcolm Campbell is an excellent photographer and a regular at our FabFeb, Lost Hills FF contests. One of the FabFeb series is the Isaacson Winter Classic, where we have balsawood events along side the hi tech stuff! The Ike, in recent years has been averaging 250+ entries. Here's Malc's Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/motor-racing-photography/sets/with/72157656678659490. If that isn't enough, you can go to my son, Brian's Flickr page and get a dose of the Lost Hills action plus some of our Tustin Blimp Hangar sessions. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44670670@N02/albums

Norm

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
My Dakota ..... , makes me happy just looking at it ....

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:03:53 AM »
Capt. Gleason really did his best to entertain our friend from Mongolia, Batulga. Not many get to fly in Mongolia, so the Cub flights were really enjoyed. We had to pry the stick out of his hands.

Many may recall Gary James, he did a great job of entertaining Batulga in the RC combat vein.

We were unable to locate a good horse steak, however, which would have made our young Mongolian visitor's trip compleat!

dg

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
Your Dakota is a beauty Frank. Takes us back to simpler more fun times. I sometimes just take a cup of  coffee into my basement hanger and just enjoy looking at some of my planes. The Dakota is one of those I remember hanging in the hobby shop in my early days. I use to ride my bike 3 miles to the hobby shop just to drool over all the stuff.

Most kids grow up dreaming of  playing pro sports. My dream was to fly a model airplane with a real engine. My other dream was to have a motorbike or a motor scooter. Guess all my dreams have come true. I have a basement full of planes and a Harley in my garage. All of my planes have real engines.

The thing I miss now is when a bunch of us would get together at a ball diamond or school yard and fly together for fun. Those days are gone but the memories live on. Just like the Navy Nats.

I remember Bob Palmer talking about flying under the lights at a ball diamond in late evening. That would have been real fun. We have lost so much freedom. I guess as we get older we tend to look back on older and simpler times when we had so much fun and nobody cared.
Jim Kraft

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
Very true, Jim.  I really wish I could find a youngster around here interested in model planes just as you and I were as kids.  I could provide lots of help, and I would provide planes , engines, and/or balsa wood.

Too bad kids nowadays give no thought to aviation.  Computers and video games have taken over from aviation.

We need another Charles Lindbergh-type to spark some interest in young people.

Floyd

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
You guys with the Dakotas. We're flying Dakota Time Target at the Northwest FF Champs next week. Come join the fun!

Norm

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
You guys with the Dakotas. We're flying Dakota Time Target at the Northwest FF Champs next week. Come join the fun!

Same date as the Dick Scobee in Auburn :(.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here