News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long, strange trip...  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Long, strange trip...
« on: July 26, 2015, 04:44:58 AM »
I posted the following over on the electric section of this forum. I know there are many who don't visit that section, so I've decided to re-post this here also. - Bob Hunt

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." - Robert Hunter

With its appearance at the 2015 Nats, the long and strange saga of the Second Wind twin has finally reached an end. I've been working on this ship for more than seven years. There were times when I doubted if it would ever be finished and flown. I know that some of you who have been following this marathon thread had similar thoughts...

I finished the Second Wind a week before the Nats and was able to get two full patterns on it before leaving for Muncie. For the record, I finished in eleventh place in Open Stunt with it, and at the end of the Nats it had a grand total of 17 flights on it! Considering that there were pilots there who had hundreds (or, in some cases, even thousands) of flights on their ships, and put in as many as 25 flights a day in preparation, I don't feel too bad. In fact, I feel great.

The ship flew virtually "off the board." There are still a couple of minor trim changes that need to be made, and lots of motor/prop experiments that need to be done, but, overall it was a resounding success. The ship turns great and has an excellent lock after corners. It tracks very well and grooves through rounds extremely well.

I was determined to get this ship to the Nats in spite of the debilitating back problems I was having. Massive physical therapy sessions helped me to get back on my feet long enough to finish the bird and get it to Muncie. The week was long and grueling, but I made it through in pretty good shape.

My thanks go out to all who followed this thread and the progress of the Second Wind twin. Thanks also go out to my "crew," who went above and beyond the call of duty to help me through the rigors of the past few months. That crew consisted of (in alphabetical order)  Ken Armish, Rich Giacobone, Tom Hampshire, Frank Imbriaco, Tom Luciano, Frank McMillan, Mark Weiss, and Buddy Wieder. These guys are just the best!

And now, an announcement: This was my final Nats in Open Stunt competition. I have decided that the flying of the electric, retract-gear twin in competition is a fitting exclamation point to my long career. I will be going through a lot of surgeries in the future, and will not have the mobility that I've enjoyed for most of my life. I will continue to design, build, and develop new models, and I'll always share my findings with all of you. I have lots of new ideas, and most of them are for things that will help the beginner, intermediate, and advanced fliers to achieve better stunt performance. Naturally, I'll post about them here.

My most heartfelt thanks go out to all who have supported me and have befriended me over the years; they are too numerous to list here, but they all know who they are. I love you all.

Without the inspiration, guidance and help of my father, none of this adventure would have happened. Without the love and support of my wife and family it would not have either.

Mostly I want to publicly thank and Praise the most important entity in my life, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without Him I'm nothing.  

I'm signing off on this thread with the posting of a few great photos of the Second Wind that Will Hubin took at the Nats. Hey, I think it looks pretty good in the air!

Fair winds - Bob Hunt  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:04:07 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Long, strange trip...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
Bob, I am more than sure this has been a difficult decision, and I commend you for having the courage to follow your heart.  As these bodies grow older and maybe just a tiny bit slower  n~ there are things we have no choice about changing.  Those changes ain't easy, as I'm sure you know and have experienced.  Be sure to keep us apprised of the next steps in your health pattern such as the upcoming surgeries, etc. so we can take you before the throne of the One we mutually worship!
Remember, my friend, God loves you and so do we!!!
With many blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »

Bob i enjoyed meeting u at the W/C's and spending time B/S'ing with u, i have always enjoyed reading anything with your name on it. a couple of older EX speed flyers and i were at M/D's this last week talking about the Moment we knew it was time to hang up the Mono Line handle .  it used to be that the Nats wernt complete until i got a flight in with my jet Speed ship. .three years ago i realized that if anything happend i would be in  and would not be able to keep up with it. so i sold it as not to be tempted .

in racing it was when i heard the words over the PA system  Whitney keep up with your airplane and i realized that i couldn't ,so i became the Pit Monkey

stunt has been my salvation . i build to fly and with stunt i can get all the flying i want   Thanks for everything u have done for Modelling in General Rad Racer
rad racer

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »
Bob
Thanks for all you have done for CL. Sorry to hear you are hanging up your handle but Like most athletes it's best to go out at the top of your game.
As stated let us know how we can pray for you in the future.
Look forward to the next ideas and projects that come out of your shop.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »
It sounds like you are not giving up C/L stunt, only the competition part. 

I've done the same, although I ended without a lot of spectacular wins behind me.

Building and flying just "for the heck of it" could be just as rewarding as contesting.  You are always competing against yourself, which, for me, is still a challenge (that I can never win).

"You can have my handle when you pry it from my cold, dead, hand"

---Chuckie Heston---sort of

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Jerry Higgins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
Bob,

So glad to hear you are continuing in the hobby and developing things for the beginner through advanced flyers.  When I got back into building and flying in 1990 I was reading everything I could get hold of on flying, building, and engines.  Much of that reading material was produced by you.  I really appreciated the many articles you wrote, especially those on "low pitch, high rpm" engine runs, flying the pattern, and most recently, electric power.  My previous experience in the late 50's and 60's was very different, so you introduced me to modern stunt flying.  Thanks so much for all of your efforts, and I look forward to reading about your future work.  Also, thanks for the good job on Stunt News.

I'm sure everyone is pulling for you to beat the back problem and continue to enjoy model airplanes. Please keep us posted on your progress with the health issues.  We are pulling for you!

Jerry

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
I guess physical issues will make a person rethink things.  I will never forget the first Time you introduced yourself at Lake Charles many years ago.   I guess you are one of my heroes as far as modeling goes.  I have followed you through the years with designing, publishing and competition.   I do look forward to what you may planned for the future as far as model designs and ideas.   My the good LORD look down on you and keep you going.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:39:44 AM »
Bob,

Tough to hear but I know the feeling. I'm still fairly able and hope to get at least a few more years before the hand problems end my flying (and maybe building). I remember meeting you at Brodak's years ago and the subsequent phone conversations we had. It was great to know a Christian Brother that was still a top level competitor because at the time I was struggling a bit with the "importance" of the hobby I'd enjoyed all my life. Your testimony and steadfastness helped me find that balance I was seeking. I'm hoping you still attend future Nats, our jam session with Billy last year was great, too great to be a one time deal, I'd have been back this year but I got married July 11. I'm assuming too that your back issues have curtailed if not ended your riding as well. I went through similar problems with my neck surgery but came out OK. Hoping you can still enjoy that as well, such a great therapy for a heavy laden heart and soul.

God Bless you Brother, you'll be in my prayers continually.

Randy
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
May God's blessings be with you as you go through this portion of your life. Changes are always in our future. You've blessed others with your time. Service is a calling of heaven. We'll miss your friendly competitive spirit, and hope to still see you, and benefit from your experiences for years to come.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
Bob,

I truely understand how hard it is to call it quits on flying at the Nat's. I will surely miss seeing you there.

I have always been impressed with how well you were able to fly with minimal practice time. I only can dream of having such skill.

I remember many of the good times. How can you forget the model box races in the Hotel in Czechoslovakia in '92?  How about the stopwatch "trials" in China!  Also in China, watching you and Robbie work together. Way cool!

I wish you the best in your upcoming surgeries.

Most importantly, I consider you a friend of many years.  

Keep those designs coming!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
Thanks to all who have posted here on this thread with heartfelt wishes for my health issues. Thanks, too, for the remembrances of good times past.
I cannot convey to you all just how much all this means to me, and how much I love you all. Hopefully I'll still be able to get to the Nats for years to come and either judge or event direct (yeah, yeah, I said I'd never do that...). Might even be able to fly some OTS or Classic if mobility permits after the surgeries.

As Paul Walker most graciously mentioned, I have not always over the years been able to come to the Nats fully prepared and with lots of practice. The Good Lord has richly blessed me with more than a modicum of natural ability, and I guess I've relied on that more often than not to get me through. The fact is, there are many fliers out there who have been so blessed with talent, and many of them have also put in the requisite work to get to the top. They deserve the accolades and the notoriety because they have earned it fully. At this year's Nats I saw the bar raised yet again, and this time to a level I never dreamed was achievable. The Top-5 fly-off convinced me that stunt is in a very healthy place, and that to compete with these guys a flier will in the future have to raise his or her game to a level not seen before. This is a good thing.

Paul and I over the years have butted heads as competitors, and we have not always seen eye-to-eye on things. I must admit that far more often than not he was right about whatever disagreements we might have had. Through it all, however, Paul and I have remained good friends, and he has been a huge help to me (and many others) on technical subjects. I have often called him to get his council, and he's always been a gracious and willing teacher. Many only see the serious side of Paul, as he focuses on winning more than anyone I've ever known. And, hey, at the Nats, that's the object. However, if you were to be around him when he's not focused on flying and competing, you'd come to know a very funny and engaging guy. We were on a couple of World Teams together, and I can tell you that Paul is really fun to be around.

Paul mentioned the airplane box races in (what was then) Czechoslovakia. That requires a bit of explanation... There is a lot of "down time" at World Championships, and we, as competitors, were always looking for ways to keep the competitive tools sharp. In those days we had huge, one-piece airplane boxes that looked a bit like caskets for Manta Rays. Somehow we decided to have drag races with them down the hall of the hotel in which we were staying. Billy Werwage was the starter, and when he dropped his arm Paul and I pushed the boxes from behind and raced for about 80 feet down the hall. These were serious races, guys. Neither Paul or I wanted to let the other guy win. Now, these boxes were not entirely stable, being pushed from so far behind their center of gravity locations, and were prone to deviate easily from side to side. In other words, they were pretty much totally out of control for most of the race, and were potentially lethal weapons ready to take out any unsuspecting hotel patron who might venture out into the hallway (race track?) in front of us. And, we wouldn't have stopped anyway! Like I wrote earlier, these were serious races! I truly don't remember who won those races, but the fun we had on that trip is among my most favorite memories. Thank you, Paul, for everything; the lessons, the friendship, the great council, the craziness, and for the pleasure of having been able to watch you fly so well for so long. It was a privilege.

Later - Bob Hunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here