Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BV-141  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
BV-141
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
Obscure subject, but worthy (if you're weird).

Does anyone happen to have information on this?  There were about two dozen built in the middle of WW II, and according to Wikipedia there are no survining examples.  I'd love it if someone knew of a book (even if it's not in English) that was chock full of pictures that could be used as scale documentation.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: BV-141
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:10:31 PM »
There was once a Free Flight Rubber Scale model of one of those.  Can't recall the builder/flyer's name, but from all reports it was remarkably stable.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Information on this aircraft is difficult to find but I have been collecting books on full scale aircraft for too many years and have come across these sources

Schiffer Publications - Blohm & Voss Bv-141 (Out of print...?)
Airplane Magazine #102 (color plate and short article)
Aeroplane Monthly - June 2009

Another great source for books is www.squadron.com, they normally cater to the guys who build the plastic models but have a great selection of books, I just might have to buy this book....

http://www.squadron.com/The-Blohm-Voss-Bv-141-A-Technical-Guide-SC-p/vwad001.htm

The Aeroplane issue has a 16 page database article with a 3-view (need to confirm). Look on E-bay to find a copy of the magazine

The Airfix 1/72 kit has color work that shows the camo pattern and there is color information available for the colors on the airplane

Nick Ziroli has a set of plans for the airplane with a 57" wing span

Here is two plates that show the camo pattern

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
color plate from the Airfix kit
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
one of my favorite WW2 airplanes,,
hmm
wonder if that says something about me?
Tim,, yeah no need to respond, we are probably both slightly off center
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
Thanks Fred!

I'd probably draw up my own plans, or just blow up a three-view and build off of that.

I'm going to wait until sometime next month before I do any more model-related spending, but I think I'll be getting those books.  I shouldn't be asking this because if I competed with the thing it'd be über-casual, but I'm assuming that the color plates in the Squadron book would be good enough for scale color documentation?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
The photos taken in wartime are bad enough that you can't even read the markings on the fuselage so you will have to use the color plates for the camo pattern and the markings. Color plates are commonly used in competition but you do need a photograph of the real aircraft which you have. I am also considering building one of these models for sport scale.

One thing that I find interesting is the plastic model kits color plates do not show the marking on the fin, use the photograph to prove that

Look in my Aug 2015 CL scale column in Model Aviation, there are some references in there for color chips and where to get the right color paint. Also look to see if you can find the 1/72 scale Airfix plastic model kit, very helpful in figuring out the aircraft configuration.

Good Luck,
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »
one of my favorite WW2 airplanes,,
hmm
wonder if that says something about me?
Tim,, yeah no need to respond, we are probably both slightly off center

Wow.  So, if I build it then I can check "butter up the judges" off of my list, at least for local contests?
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
lol,, yeah both Pat and I love unusual subjects,, so bring it on,, just fly the darn thing first,, have it balanced right so it will actually fly,, and be able to perform,, as in make it actually start,, run and do its thing,,

its a cool plane for sure,, the crew nacelle is the same as another BV airplane, but it was a more conventional twin boom design,, cant recall the nomenclature,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
so bring it on,, just fly the darn thing first,, have it balanced right so it will actually fly,, and be able to perform,, as in make it actually start,, run and do its thing,,

So, did I miss some drama at the Regionals?  I'd like to say "I wouldn't do that", but I could see wanting to compete with something finished at the last minute.
AMA 64232

Jim Roselle

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 05:45:19 PM »
Here's a few different configurations to whet your appetite.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/s/484/2/0

Jim

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
I wasnt there to help Pat judge this year,, but in years past,, there are always planes that are obviously tail heavy,, must be scary to fly,, and overweight,, and some that appear to not have been flown,, ( at leaast not trimmed at all),, I know its scary to fly something withthat much time invested,, but we do it for stunt,,
there are also lots of engines that wont fire,, wont idle,, just that sort of thing,, Its scale,, I guess thats the way it is,,

now,, that said,, somebody started out for you,, there is a set of plans available,, and also some detail shots for you,,
but Tim,, whatever you do,, dont consider this for your next PA model ok? I mean,, yeah,, just dont

http://www.wingsontheweb.com/bv141/Design.php

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/bv141/bv141.htm
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
but Tim,, whatever you do,, dont consider this for your next PA model ok? I mean,, yeah,, just dont

You know, I learned how to brew beer because my cousin told me I couldn't do it.

And what's the matter with a semi-scale warbird for stunt?
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
 HB~> HB~> HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
Gordie Gimbert had one of these flying in Toronto this year.  He came in fourth due to throttle limitations.  The aerodynamics were OK.
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:02:44 AM »
OK for stunt, or OK for scale?

I think that, in spite of trying to pull Mark's leg, I wouldn't want to try such an asymmetrical design for stunt.
AMA 64232

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »

I'm surprised Keith Trostle hasn't chimed in here, he probably has the whole scoop on it. D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
I'm surprised Keith Trostle hasn't chimed in here, he probably has the whole scoop on it. D>K

I have been in a remote place with no computer and limited phone access for the past two weeks.  Will have limited computer access for the next week and a half.  I have some material in my files on the Bv 141.  Some of it is covered by Fred's listing above. The are great 3-views in the Warbird series published in the now defunct British publication called Aviation News.  I will have to get home to find the issue that was in.  Sometimes back issues are available.  Airfix has had two issues of the thing in 1/72.  I think the moldings are the same, but there are different color schemes.  Do a search on eBay and some interesting things might show up.  Also, check eBay for back issues of Aviation News that might list the Bv 141 on the cover.

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »
OK,  here is what I have on file on the Bv 141.

Aviation News, Vol 15, No. 12, 31 Oct - 13 Nov 1986, has great 3-views in 1/72 plus a shaded color scheme for NC+RA.  Might be able to find it on eBay.

Check with eBay from time to time for the several plastic kits that have been produced over the years in addition to decal sheets showing various color schemes.

Airplane, the Complete Aviation Encyclopedia, Volume 9, Issue 102, published in England has a four-page article article wohj decent photos and a two page 3-view in color.

A different color scheme, in color, is shown in the Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, Vol 26, no. 12 (Feb 2005)

William Green's Aircraft of the Third Reich, Vol 1, also gives a good two page color 3-view similar to the "Airplane" encyclopedia referenced above.

The Schiffer book that Fred referenced is worth getting if you are interested in this aircraft.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here