News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On the news, an armed quadracopter...  (Read 13386 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
On the news, an armed quadracopter...
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
 n1
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: On the news, an armed quadracopter...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:03:09 PM »
Yep, with a revolver. The video shows four shots fired at some soda cans . Built by an 18 year old in Connecticut.  H^^ n1

How many pounds of pressure is needed to pull a trigger back on a revolver.

This could put the old school hit men out of business.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
How many pounds of pressure is needed to pull a trigger back on a revolver.

This could put the old school hit men out of business.

It isn't a revolver.  It's a semi-automatic pistol that looks much like a Glock which is easy to fire.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »

Less impressive than it sounds, but somewhat disturbing proof of concept.  Everything appears to be "off the shelf" or of simple fabrication, as in "saw and drill only".

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/16/1455223/gun-firing-drone-raises-some-eyebrows
some more fear mongering discussion.

Not to be confused with this cartoon animation

Phil

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
I bet that dimbulb gets a visit from the ATF....
Steve

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
Interesting, the one  I saw had a revolver suspended under the air frame. H^^

The video that Phil posted above shows a semi-automatic pistol amid-ships.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
Most folks can't shoot well enough to hit a target holding a pistola in their hand.
They would be better off just doing a tora tora kamikaze with the quad. Slice n dice.
Wish they would make it so that those things took some actual skill and a learning curve to fly. Everything is made to do easy now. Except control line.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:03 AM »
Quads and other multi rotors were developed as weapons and weapon carriers.
Why would it surprise anyone?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
They should be restricted for military use if armed.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
Doc, do you really think legislation will stop stupidity? This year nearly 600,000 Quads will be sold in the U.S. All the hoo-haw from the AMA and any legislation passed right now will not limit the threat these  objects may create.  People will be killed, no doubt about it.  Some deliberately, some by gross error. With the fires in CA as an example we can not stop stupidity. Those seeking the destruction of our Country are now licking their chops in preparation.
Joe 
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »
Doc, do you really think legislation will stop stupidity? This year nearly 600,000 Quads will be sold in the U.S. All the hoo-haw from the AMA and any legislation passed right now will not limit the threat these  objects may create.  People will be killed, no doubt about it.  Some deliberately, some by gross error. With the fires in CA as an example we can not stop stupidity. Those seeking the destruction of our Country are now licking their chops in preparation.
Joe 

Yeah!
My Daughter has a simple phrase that sums it up  "Dad, you can't fix STUPID"...truer words were never spoken!

In the distant, distant past, the survival rate of "Stupid People" was probably very low.  They simply got eaten by something or managed to fall off something high enough to take themselves out of the Gene pool.  Today however society protects and nutures them so they multiply like flies.  Often act like them too!   ~^  R%%%%

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
The video however did show the folly of trying to put an automatic weapon on a relatively small one.  The recoil of the puny 9 mm mounted on that one really upset the location of the machine.  I'm sure a few rapid shots would tumble it down.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
Random Shots in a  Football stadium might just create enough of a stampede/ crushing deaths to be worth the effort by some terrorist to make it worth his worthwhile.  BOY I HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS ONE!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
Yeah!
My Daughter has a simple phrase that sums it up  "Dad, you can't fix STUPID"...truer words were never spoken!

In the distant, distant past, the survival rate of "Stupid People" was probably very low.  They simply got eaten by something or managed to fall off something high enough to take themselves out of the Gene pool.  Today however society protects and nutures them so they multiply like flies.  Often act like them too!   ~^  R%%%%

Randy Cuberly

Any more, I just say we've gone too far and outlawed Darwin.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Jim Roselle

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Just saw on the news the poster of the video is being investigated by the FAA,  ATF, and local Connecticut police.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
None of this shocks me.  I don't think anything shocks me anymore.  Our culture as a whole is turning into a cesspool of corruption, immorality and just pure evil.  Things are going in in the world today that I never ever dreamed would happen and I am glad I am the age I am because i really don't want to be a part of what I see evolving in society.

Why in the Hell would anyone want go put a pistol on a quad copter?  Are you gonna sit at home and go deer hunting with the damn thing?  Some maggot terrorist will try to do this and shoot into a crowd of people and kill people.

I personally have already stated I am through with AMA but the members, especially in the RC sector, better wise up and get off their butts and put pressure on AMA to stop supporting these things because if they don't, it is going to come back and bite them in the a$$.  The morons who are buying these things and using them like this are not going to stop doing this kind of stuff and when the boom is lowered, it us going to smash everybody.

Mike

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »
It will be the end of RC flying, and the only viable model airplane option will be control line, which are considered by FAA to be kites.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
all we need next is one drone with a down ward looking camera and a weight of about 1 lb. dropped from 100 feet is almost guaranteed to disable anybody it hits .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:29 PM »
The kid that "built" and flew the Quadcopter with the gun aboard has been arrested. At least, I read that on the Internet, so it must be true!

Also, as an FYI, this just showed up, apparently a recent occurrence, copied and pasted from another website: 

Hillview man arrested for shooting down drone; cites right to pr - WDRB 41 Louisville News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Hillview man has been arrested after he shot down a drone flying over his property -- but he's not making any apologies for it.
It happened Sunday night at a home on Earlywood Way, just south of the intersection between Smith Lane and Mud Lane in Bullitt County, according to an arrest report.
Hillview Police say they were called to the home of 47-year-old William H. Merideth after someone complained about a firearm.
When they arrived, police say Merideth told them he had shot down a drone that was flying over his house. The drone was hit in mid-air and crashed in a field near Merideth's home.
Police say the owner of the drone claimed he was flying it to get pictures of a friend's house -- and that the cost of the drone was over $1,800.
Merideth was arrested and charged with first degree criminal mischief and first degree wanton endangerment. He was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center, and released on Monday.
WDRB News spoke with Merideth Tuesday afternoon, and he gave his side of the story.
"Sunday afternoon, the kids – my girls – were out on the back deck, and the neighbors were out in their yard," Merideth said. "And they come in and said, 'Dad, there’s a drone out here, flying over everybody’s yard.'"
Merideth said he had to go see for himself.
“Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor’s house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got under their back yard," Merideth said. "I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’"
That moment soon arrived, he said.
"Within a minute or so, here it came," he said. "It was hovering over top of my property, and I shot it out of the sky."
It wasn't long before the drone's owners appeared.
"Four guys came over to confront me about it, and I happened to be armed, so that changed their minds," Merideth said.
A short time later, Merideth said the police arrived.
"There were some words exchanged there about my weapon, and I was open carry – it was completely legal," he said. "Long story short, after that, they took me to jail for wanton endangerment first degree and criminal mischief...because I fired the shotgun into the air."
Merideth said he was disappointed with the police response.
"They didn’t confiscate the drone. They gave the drone back to the individuals," he said. "They didn’t take the SIM card out of it…but we’ve got…five houses here that everyone saw it – they saw what happened, including the neighbors that were sitting in their patio when he flew down low enough to see under the patio."
Hillview Police declined to comment on the case, noting that it was still under investigation.
Merideth said he's offering no apologies for what he did.
"He didn’t just fly over," he said. "If he had been moving and just kept moving, that would have been one thing -- but when he come directly over our heads, and just hovered there, I felt like I had the right."
"You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy," he said. "We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."
For now, Merideth says he's planning on pursuing legal action against the owners of the drone.
"We’re not going to let it go," he said. "I believe there are rules that need to be put into place and the situation needs to be addressed because everyone I’ve spoke to, including police, have said they would have done the same thing."
Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 11:56:40 AM »
I hope he gets a good lawyer and wins his case.  Also they should have confiscated the drone as evidence.   Too bad it didn't crash on his property.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
AMA 77370

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
The kid that "built" and flew the Quadcopter with the gun aboard has been arrested.

For what?  I see nothing illegal about what he's doing on the video, provided he's on his own property/etc.

Sure, the thought of such a contrivance can be disturbing, but what did the inventor/experimenter do that's worthy of arresting?

IF it's true that the fellow was investigated/arrested, isn't anybody else getting concerned that there is WAY too much government intrusion into our lives and our freedoms are quickly being stripped from us??
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
  AMA need to take heed of this.  This is exactly why they should have never climbed into bed with these quadricopter groups.  They are not model airplanes to start with.  I dont know of any full-scale aircrat that looks like them.

Then there is this stunt.  AMA regs specifically prohibit firing or dropping of munitions or pyrotechnics from any model aircraft.  Whether this mouth-breather is an AMA member or not is irrelivent.  The AMA is setting itself up for failure by trying to "educate" these clowns. 

The SHOULD distance themselves from these clowns as much as possible, but you and I know that they wont...theres too many Franklins in it for them.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
I just saw an episode of Hawaii 5-0 where someone hijacked a military quad drone and armed it with twin machine guns to terrorize the island. I'm sure it was theatrics, but it certainly looked real. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here