News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Its the cops jiggers"  (Read 1904 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Its the cops jiggers"
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
    Hello all:

It happened! A person called the cops on us for making too much noise.  The officer showed up and explained that a person, we know who it was, complained about the noise at our flying field.  He pointed out that we were NOT breaking any laws as there are no noise laws where we fly.  We have permission to fly where we do by the local township and all has been good for the last four years.

There were a couple of F2D planes flying but the rest of us had mufflers installed on our engines.  As a matter of fact, the local freeway makes more noise than our muffled engines.  My lawn mower, Lawnboy 2 stroke, is louder than the engines that we were flying with the mufflers.

We demonstrated the F2D planes in flight and then the OS .35 with a muffler and assured him that there would only be engines with mufflers flown at our site in the future.  He agreed the our planes with the mufflers did not constitute a noise problem.

Now, we have to wait to see if the township rec board has anything to say to us. In the meantime, only mufflers will be permitted and no F2D planes. Our use has been limited to about two hours per session and usually no more than twice a week.

The woman who complained is the same elderly whom who walks the streets wearing headphones while listening to music.  The nearest house is about 300 yards and most or the houses are shielded by a large building.  However, it only takes one person to complain to stop an activity.  Local governments so not want to be bothered by small complaints!

How have you handled this type of problem in the past? Suggestions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Its the cops jiggers"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
If you know who filed the complaint go talk to her.  Introduce you self and be very polite.  Tell her that someone in the neighborhood has complained about the model noise.  If she owns up to being the one who complained see if you can find out what her objection are.  Their may be a simple fix.  Also it is harder for someone to file a complaint if they know that they are not anonymous and realize that the perceived offender is not a monster. Sometime a little PR can go a long way.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »
   I think you handled it very well so far, and what John suggests is a good idea also. You can catch more flies with honey that you can with vinegar. Good luck of what transpires in the futurre.
   As a side note, when Sean was a little bugger, we were flying at a local park for just a few flights. A flying buddy was a member of the local police department and he told us that there was no reason we could not fly there in daylight hours, and the city had no noice ordinances at that time for daylight hours. We had just finished the last flight and sure enough, a local policeman approached and told us of a noise complaint, and that we wouldn't be able to fly there any more. I looked at Sean and said, "well, I guess it's back to selling drugs on the street corner if we can't fly our model airplanes!". The cop about blew a gasket! I calmed him down and said I was only kidding, that I was friends with another local cop who flew there with me ( I think he was this guy's sergeant at that time) and told him there were no noise ordinances during daylight hours. I told him we were finished for the day and would leave, but assured him we would be back, during daylight hours from time to time just for a few quick flights, as we understood that the noise can bug some people, and we didn't want to make a whole day of it like that. He just smiled and thank me and told us to have a nice day!
  A few weeks later, I was talking to my friend while he was on duty, and told him of the run in. He already knew about it, and in fact had done a burglary investigation at the oold lady's house whop had made the complaint. When asking here if she might have an idea of anyone who might break in, she mentioned that there was "some people making a lot of noise with toy airplanes at the p[ark that may have done it to get back at me!"  He just smiled at her and said. "Mam, I'm one of "those people" who fly toy airplanes at the park!" and she never said another word. We have never had another issue with the police either, but don't really fly there that often anymore.
   Good luck and keep us posted,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
Mufflers only!

Teach the lady to fly.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
She's a streetwalker...have her arrested!  VD~ S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
I just keep waiting for the electric guys to jump in on this...lol

Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
My hearing was damaged when I was in the service but I really can't tell much difference with Iran without a muffler.  Maybe it is because I am half deaf.

Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
We had a rule no combat planes from the jump. You're right the mower we use to mow the field makes more noise.

MM

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »
Obviously, e powered planes are quieter, but they certainly are not silent.
I wonder what time of day it was when she complained? Maybe that was the issue for her?
Sounds like you did a good thing by educating the officer, and then adding the muffler only restriction. That kind if sucks for the combat guys, but at least it shows good faith.
I hope you fellows don't lose your flying privileges there.
Good luck with proceedings.
R
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
    Hi Chris et.al.:

We flew from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturday.

There were four of us "old farts" and we did more resting in our chairs than flying. I got in three flights.

Yes, we are going to track down that "lady" and see if we could reach a solution.  Flowers and candy perhaps. Lol

Oh yes, there used to be a dirt track in the neighborhood that ran every Saturday night with late model modified cars.  Talk about loud.  There were no complaints then!!!! The cars could be heard for miles.

The Combat guys have another site about 20 miles away where they can fly and not disturb anybody.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Be well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
Do you still have the race car track.   We almost lost one because one individual complained about the noise of the cars.  Track was shut sown for several weeks until local merchants realized how much money they were losing.Yes the track had a curfew in which all racing stopped even if the race wasn't over.   The track has been running every Friday and Saturday since resuming at the request of the city.

Now a story of the teacher who teaching some youngsters about model planes and was teaching them to fly 1/2A's that they had built.  Needless to say a noise complaint was turned in.  The officer watched and listened and then told the person complaining there were lawn mowers running that were louder.   So the person complaining said they were using school property,   The officer said the person in charge was a teacher at the school.   So the teacher tried an experiment.  They all built small gliders and the ready to fly rubber powered planes.   Contacted the local paper, TV and a radio station to come out and cover the fun that was happening and teaching youngsters to work together.   Needless to say here came the police with a noise complaint.   Anyway no more complaints and the teacher and youngsters plus others have full use of the field on the school grounds.

So maybe you guys can get your rubber powered planes out as well as gliders and have fun to see if you get another complaint.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
It is adults having fun and it MUST BE STOPPED!
Hopefully they will put in some soccer fields after the adults are banished.

Oh wait.

Not.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
I've been through this rigmarole at my old RC club. When the field was purchased, there were no houses nearby, and only a recycling plant next door, that made enough noise to wake the dead for company.

That was in 1988.

Fast foward to the 21st century and there are houses dotted all over the place now, and of course, RC models have grown in size, to the point where 70" - 80" 50cc models seem to have replaced the ubiquitous '40' sized models of yore.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out it was all going to come to a head.

Coming up with an effective solution isn't easy, as there always going to be 'killjoys' out there who want to live in a serene, silent enviroment, but with careful management everyone can coexist. But there are a few caveats that you should realise about noise before you start.

First off, tone is a big killer. You can make a LOT of random noise and it's not irritating. Think about dump trucks dropping their loads, it's dull roar and doesn't take much for it to be overlooked mentally. Anything with a tone though, is picked up by our brains, and can quickly become a nuisance, ESPECIALLY if it changes tone. Think about a control line model, and while the engine isn't changing RPM, as it whizzes around the circle, it appears to change tone... like a siren... and think about how quickly your brain picks out the sound of a siren!

Duration is another big factor. If you were to make a racket for 30 seconds, no one would care, but if you do it all day long, you can expect to have someone out for your blood.

Now it's not all bad. Being control line, we have the benefit of being reasonably close to the ground, so the issues of sound carrying a long way, (like with RC) aren't so bad. In fact a row of trees will mask the sound quite effectively (but make it interesting when the wind blows through them)

When talking to the lady, it might be worth discussing the idea of a management plan with her. It shows you're willing to come to the table with a solution, rather than just reacting. Most people are happy to at least hear you out.

In your management plan, you may want to spell out maximum engine noise levels (this can be arbitrary, everyone knows a loud motor when they hear one)  and times for flying, and a conflict resolution path, i.e. if someone is making noise, she has a direct line to someone to complain, who can fix the problem, before she calls the cops again!

Flying sites are becoming hard to find, and harder to keep. Stick with it though!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
Some people, ususlly older lonely folks just don't like seeing other people, especially adults having fun.  They immediately object to whatever is outstanding about the activity.  With model airplanes it will be the noise whether or not it is actually objectionable, it is what comes to their attention.  These people often feel like outsiders and therefore subconciously look for things to complain about to draw attention to themselves.

The suggestion above to contact the woman might help but it might also simply make the complaint more viable to the woman who could realize it is an effective tool to stop the people enjoying themselves, in which case she will double down on the complaints and feel as if she has a real purpose in stopping such foolish "merriment".

Personally if there really is no law or reason behind the complaint I would be inclined to ignore her!  The police have no authority to act without a noise law.  Some people would like very much to control everything in their environment and in my opinion cannot be encouraged by aquiessing to thier complaints!

Lawful assembly and activity is a constitutional right so long as it doesn't break existing laws.  Some folks just don't want those rights to be recognized.  Time to stand up and fight for our rights.  They are slowly being stripped away by willful "do gooders"

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
So, you don't think I should show up and fly my uncorked Fox 36X powered vintage combat planes?
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Advertise Here
Tags: What to do now? 

Advertise Here