News:

• April 20, 2024, 02:55:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear coat for Rustoleum  (Read 3213 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Clear coat for Rustoleum
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:03:05 AM »
I have a friend who has a body shop who is going to help me shoot the clear.  I know others have used urethane over Rustoleum but he has some reservations.  We will be using Nason 2 part.  Should this be an issue?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clear coat for Rustoleum
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
I would not use or recommend clear over Rustoleum.

I could give a whole lot of arguments, but basically, if you care enough that you want clear coat, then you want to start with something other than Rustoleum.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »
One of the colors on this "aerosol can" painted model, I don't remember which color, I'd have to check the cans, was Rust-o-leum brand.

I'll spray the model with a two part matt auto clear.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:54:36 PM »
I have a friend who has a body shop who is going to help me shoot the clear.  I know others have used urethane over Rustoleum but he has some reservations.  We will be using Nason 2 part.  Should this be an issue?

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

Two part (catalyzed) polyurethane will be compatible over the Rustoleum as the catalyzed polyurethanes are among the least aggressive systems in painting.  I think that the reason for putting clear polyurethane over the Rustoleum would be to assure a fuel-proof finish as Rustoleum is not very resistant to our glow fuels.

Tell your painter that there will not be a problem with compatibility between the Rustoleum and the catalyzed Nason polyurethane.

Bill Byles
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I will get back to work on it when I get back from the Nat's (was hoping to have it finished but so goes it).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:52:52 PM »
I think that the reason for putting clear polyurethane over the Rustoleum would be to assure a fuel-proof finish as Rustoleum is not very resistant to our glow fuels.

Eh?  Tell that to my test block, that at one point had a pool of 35% nitro sitting on it for an hour, with no sign of degradation -- it didn't even discolor or reduce the shine.

Unless they've changed the formula, the nonmetallic colors of Rustoleum Protective Enamel is very resistant to glow fuels.  You just have to give it two or three weeks to fully cure before you let it get splattered.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:46 AM »
Eh?  Tell that to my test block, that at one point had a pool of 35% nitro sitting on it for an hour, with no sign of degradation -- it didn't even discolor or reduce the shine.

Unless they've changed the formula, the nonmetallic colors of Rustoleum Protective Enamel is very resistant to glow fuels.  You just have to give it two or three weeks to fully cure before you let it get splattered.

Tim,

I believe you are correct on this cure time.

Years ago there was an article about painting models with Rust-o-leum.

The period of cure time was the key issue.

In my case I want a matt finish plus I have ink lines to protect. I'll caear the vinyl graphics also. This will be a first for me, applying a clear coat over vinyl graphics.

See how it turns out.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here