News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question About AMA  (Read 2576 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
A question About AMA
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
I wonder if AMA could give you a breakdown of numbers by genre? For example, how many members fly free flight, how many members fly RC, how many members fly control line.  Would love to see a breakdown like this to see how our numbers really compare to the total.  Seems I remember when I joined they ask you that question.

Mike

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: A question About AMA
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
Mike, I'm afraid you're pi$$ing-up-a-rope here.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:04:59 AM »
Maybe Mike but it is a fair question.  Be interesting to know how many fly what.

Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
I doubt AMA even really knows the true or accurate demographics of modeling interest

The membership application has this----- "Primary area of interest (choose only one)" RC.  Control Line. Free Flight. Rocketry.

Over the years I recall some surveys in the Model Aviation magazine, sometimes cut out mail in, and in more modern time a web link for the survey

I don't remember one of these in the last 10 years
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
Hi Mike!  I think it would be interesting also.  Why not pose the question to them directly??  Please share whatever they make available.  I'm sure it can't hurt anything and the results just might be surprising even though there might be some slight percentage of error as in any poll.  I look forward to your follow up!

Jim Carter

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Problem is their data are  pretty worthless since you can only choose ONE interest! The members that fly RC and some Control Line are going to choose RC etc.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »
Problem is their data are  pretty worthless since you can only choose ONE interest! The members that fly RC and some Control Line are going to choose RC etc.
Maybe so and just maybe it's been that way for so long because no one pressed for or needed any more specific data!  ::) It so easy to sit back and think that "someone else" thought of it or should have thought of it" or "that's the way it's always been" or even "it's not my job".  :(  I for one have been surprised, more than once, to find out the only reason something wasn't done was because "everyone else" thought "someone else" did it or was responsible for it thus "nobody" did it and "everybody" complained!!  Heck, just ask the question and ask specifically for what you need or would like to know!!  If it doesn't exist, work to help create it, of course there lies the rub, doesn't it??   :-\  Nevertheless, I find that seeking for whatever is needed does work .... every now and then!  :-\

Jim

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »

That has irritated me from day 1.  I fly CL aerobatic, and RC sport, and FF sport.  All three, not just one.

Even if they'd just replicate the choices: once for your primary interest, and once for everything else.  While a lot of people would only check RC sport, I think they'd find that the rest have a wide range of interests.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
I wonder if AMA could give you a breakdown of numbers by genre? For example, how many members fly free flight, how many members fly RC, how many members fly control line.  Would love to see a breakdown like this to see how our numbers really compare to the total.  Seems I remember when I joined they ask you that question.

Mike: Call or email, and ask.  I've heard tales that they're quite responsive, and the one time that I had an email exchange with them the guy I ended up with was prompt and courteous with his answers.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
Mike: Call or email, and ask.  I've heard tales that they're quite responsive, and the two times that I had an email exchanges with them they were prompt and courteous with their answers.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »
You probably want to start here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/Organization/hqstaff.aspx.  I'd start with Shawn Grubbs.
AMA 64232

Mike Griffin

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
You probably want to start here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/Organization/hqstaff.aspx.  I'd start with Shawn Grubbs.

Tim, Jim

Thank you for that contact information.  I have called and left a voicemail for Shawn explaining what I am looking for and left my cell number and email for him to contact me back.  Now I guess we wait go see if I get any response.

Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
Park flier 50%
RC flier   30%
Quad copter 15%
FF Flier   3%
other     2%

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Park flier 60%
RC flier   35%
FF Flier   3%
other     2%

Where do your numbers come from?  I think they may be right -- FF gets a boost from Science Olympiad that CL doesn't -- but I'd be interested to know if it's from the AMA, and if there's a link.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
I doubt the AMA cares one way or the other. They are all about the advertising dollars, that's it. Oh, and what ever pocket change they get from our dues.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Don Main

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »
i DON'T REMEMBER WHERE BUT MY BROTHER AND i WERE TALKING AND C/L IS ABOUT 1% OF AMA

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
I think MOTORMAN is guessing.  However, my own guess is close to his.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
I'm certain that the breakdown is somewhere at the Academy, as our AMA has a large and effective Marketing arm.
I'm also not real sure that thet would be anxious to divulge the numbers, for fear of losing a competitive advantage.
Have fun!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:42 AM »
Tim, Jim

Thank you for that contact information.  I have called and left a voicemail for Shawn explaining what I am looking for and left my cell number and email for him to contact me back.  Now I guess we wait go see if I get any response.

Mike

Left message yesterday, still no response.

Mike

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »
If CL is only 1% or 2% we should be thankful for the other 98-99% that makes AMA possible.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
Left message yesterday, still no response.

Mike
Not to worry!  Maybe I'm just too laid back or too trusting but I'm sure you won't or haven't been set aside.  Remember, you/we're not the only ones looking for support plus I can't imagine the amount of activity that's currently going on, behind the scenes, in preparation for the NAT's and all the myriad visitors plus the ordinary everyday requirements!  Even if the response doesn't come until after the NAT's that's time enough, don't you think?   ;)

Jim

Mike Griffin

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:40 AM »
Hi Jim,

I am really not expecting a response and will be pleasantly surprised if I do.  I have written control line articles for the magazine over the past few years and never even got an acknowledement that they received them.

Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
If CL is only 1% or 2% we should be thankful for the other 98-99% that makes AMA possible.

Yessir!  Imagine how much more expensive engines and motors would be if it weren't for the RC guys bringing the prices down!  The existence of the AMA depends on the same equation.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
I'm certain that the breakdown is somewhere at the Academy, as our AMA has a large and effective Marketing arm.
I'm also not real sure that thet would be anxious to divulge the numbers, for fear of losing a competitive advantage.
Have fun!

I'm just curious, not trying to start something. What is this "competitive advantage", and who are they (AMA) supposed to be competing against?   ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »
I'm just curious, not trying to start something. What is this "competitive advantage", and who are they (AMA) supposed to be competing against?   ??? Steve

I'm not sure what is meant by "Competitive advantage" in this context, but I'm reasonably certain that they do collect that information for purposes of selling advertising.  It's also fairly certain that they are not at all interested in how many (or few) controline modelers there are in the membership.  They know that it's a small number and there's no one to sell the advertising to.  They would likely rather just stick those numbers in one of the other membership categories to slightly boost the numbers of those Genre that do buy ad space!

Actually I'm not convinced that the "Park Flier" Membership is anywhere near as high as the R/C membership simply because I think it's highly unlikely that most of those folks join the AMA.  None of the ones here in Tucson that I've talked to have ever even heard of the AMA other than the Medical Association!!!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
Randy is right...I spoke of "competitive advantage" as an advertising sales tool.....

Mike Griffin

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
Day 2.  No response

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
Remember the NATS started this week.   Looks like rain almost stopped the free style event in RC.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
Mike,

I do remember seeing exactly what you are looking for many, many
years ago.  I'm sure that it must have been in Model Aviation.

And, if I remember correctly, control line membership was
in the single digit %.   Rather doubt if it has changed much
since then.

When I was a kid, control line activity was rather modest.  I
remember thinking that, when I grew up, it would increase
immensely, and there would be control line flying all over the
place.  And then, as the years went by, radio control became
popular, and the ranks of the controliners diminished.  Oh
well, it was just the dream of a young kid.  What did I know?

Cheers.

Warren Wagner

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Mike Griffin

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. 

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Well I'm going to show my age as I remember there was articles on control line and free flight when I got into reading Young Mens Magazine which became Aircraft Modeler, if I remember right.   Would sit in the magazine section of the grocery store while Mother did her shopping.  Once in a great I would get the privelage of taking one home.  Not only model planes, cars and boats plus how to behave as a young man.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
July 12' still no response.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
July 12' still no response.
;D  Don't give up!!  The tortoise didn't quit did he??  He's still in the race!!  ;D

Mike Griffin

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Hi Jim

I got an answer today.  See my other post.

Mike

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
 ;D  Excellent!  As crazy as this might seem, I never doubted that you would receive an answer.  As with any organization, aside from a few hiccups every now and then, I honestly believe in the organization and the people who get the job done!!

Jim Carter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here