News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Huntersville, NC May 2015 Results  (Read 1193 times)

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Huntersville, NC May 2015 Results
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:05:39 AM »
A little late but here are the results:
Half A combat went off in the late afternoon with two entries.
They flew two rounds of double elimination matching, no Kill so cuts and airtime decided the match winner, which Mike Londke won with the loss of at least 2 models between them.
Then they decided to fly another match which Don Stoneman won.
Don and Mike have an affinity for the same spot in the air resulting in the loss or damage to one or both aircraft.

Combat - 1/2A (PB .061's Allowed) 2
Howard Shenton (SC) Cuts - Air Time Dbl, Elim.
Beverly Stoneman (VA) Cuts - Air Time
1 Mike Londke (TN)...    Gladiator       Profi 049    2 - 1
2 Don Stoneman (VA)    Ltl Hacker.    NV .061    1 - 2

Speed limit combat was flown by Phil Cartier's Brodak rules with four rounds of cumulative scores. In the past I have used several different rule formats (Double elim. Basic Rounds, Rounds with wins counting, etc.). Events scored in this format punish aggressive flying, mid-airs, by costing them bonus points for clean match. Airtime is also important  in accumulating match points.
The first four fliers all had clean matches, no mid-airs or line tangles which caused a crash landing to either aircraft, with air time and cuts determining the placing.
Phil was flying well and in control of most matches, got up early and stayed out of the ground and got cuts.
Dave, a first time flyer at Huntersville, moved from Iowa to Atlanta. had several short flights but enough cuts to compensate.  Another good flyer to add to our mix.
Mike flew well and aggressive but tended to hit the ground too much and it cost him. More air time or a cut would have moved him up a place. Fairly new to combat but improving at each contest.
In all some good matches and flying. One that stands out is Robert Wallace flying out of a line tangle. Not sure who the other pilot was. Robert and Bobby come up from Florida and are hampered by not having local flyers to practice against.
 Don was flying well but got hurt by mid-airs which cost him several places.
May have got some of the aircraft/engines wrong as I did not have time to check out all the equipment being used.
I started an ACE award for the flier who scored the most cuts which ended up in a tie between Phil and Dave at 5 cuts each.
Mike Londke has some good videos' on stunthanger.
Mike also flew his Nelson powered Fast Combat wing at 130mph.
Most of us went out the to the local Outback for dinner and relaxed conversation.
We all had a good time and I hope to see all of them, and anyone else who enjoys flying combat, back in October (16th - 18th).

Combat - Speed Limit (75mph)   
Howard Shenton (SC) Cuts - Air Time 4 Rounds
Kathy Copeland (NC) Cuts - Air Time Cumm.
Jim Welch (VA) Cuts -Air Time
Various Pilots () Center Marshal

1 Phil Cartier (PA)       Physco SL        OS 25La    2441      ACE Most Cuts 5
2 Dave Morris (GA)       Russian RTF    OS 25La    2090      ACE Most Cuts 5
3 Mike Londke (TN)            Foam       OS 40LA    2014
4 Howard Shenton (SC)   Russian RTF    OS 25FS    1773
5 Bobby Wallace (FL)     Russian RTF    OS 25La    1757
6 Robert Wallace (FL)    Russian RTF    OS 25La    1467
7 Don Stoneman (VA)    Russian RTF    OS 25La    1360

Vintage Combat
No formal flights or judging were done as I am having a hard time finding a time frame to hold this event.
Jimmy Welch showed up with a bunch of Vintage combat models with period engines. Test flew a Nemesis which had an abrupt meeting with the ground. Good looking models of which I had built many off.
Mike Londke had a black combat cat.
There may have been others there which I didn't see.
Ahh the good old days. Unreliable engines and many hours of building for a few seconds of glory or agony.
Jim Welch had a series of posts on Stunthanger about the Vintage combat models he was building and adding to his fleet. A couple of models "difficult" to build. One of them was the Bosta, an elliptical wing with all different ribs and shapes to keep aligned. I had a Bosta trophy, cut out by Everett Shoemaker, which had not been used so was given to Jim as a reminder that another person had the pleasure(?) of cutting out that shape.
Combat wings due to the nature of the event need to be simple and quick to build, all of which the Bosta was not,

Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here