News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Army for Life  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Army for Life
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
  I'll post the official pictures when I get them but this is one the wife took ( I have my back to the camera)

July 1 I reenlisted INDEF. For those who don't know what that means, I'm basically in until I retire.

I was sitting around last night thinking about it. I've been in for 11 years and 5 months, leaving a little over 8 years left. What's more, if I retire right at 20, and start my retirement packet 18months before as normal, then that is less than 7 years away. Kind of a scary thought!  Where has all the time gone...

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Army for Life
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »
Go to night school so you'll have something to do when you get out.

MM

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
Way to go, Sean!  Hard to believe that the little kid I once met may someday become a Sergeant Major (or W-5?)   :)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Walter Hicks

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
Sean, Thank you for your service to our country . It makes me hopeful that we still have people like you.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:53:46 PM »
Hey Sean:

Good luck with it.  If you're not going to stick around until you're 65 (do they let enlisted men do that?) make sure you have an exit plan into civilian life -- not all the skills are easily transferable, and you probably want to have something more substantial than managing a burger joint when you do get out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
It will go fast. I am at 21 yrs active duty AF and it went crazy fast. Of course I was super busy.

PT will get harder as you get near the end and make sure you get your ailments documented! I ignored my issues until the last minute and it's a PITA now.

Good luck in your next 9yrs and choose your assignments before the Army chooses for you.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »
Congratulations Sean.  I have thought many times that I should have stayed in.

Mike

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
Way to go!!

That's a great plan.

Oh and by the way he will have plenty to do.  About the time he gets out UAVs will be moving along pretty good in the civilian world for various applications and who will have more hours in more stressful situations?  Not many, if any at all!

Way to go man!!

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
Congratulations Sean. I'm proud of you, and I don't even know you. Thanks very much for your service.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
Congrats Sean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   H^^ H^^

I retired AF with 22yrs at E-9 and the Mrs retired at 28yrs. with E-8.

Do what Ron said about documenting ALL your ailments. Believe me I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What did you power that with in the back ground?  A Ro-Jett or PA?   ~> ~>
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »

PT will get harder as you get near the end....

PTs getting harder NOW!  This week was our quarterly inter-platoon competition.  I was on the PT test team on wednesday and then went ahead and did the 8-mile ruck march with my joes on thursday.  I spent most of today on the couch popping advil!  Need to remember that I ain't 21 anymore...

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:36:51 AM »
Thank you Sean.
Thank you for your service to my country.
My son did two tours in Iraq, and he is so proud to have served his country.
 I am so proud of him and proud of you .

God bless this great country and god bless you !!!

Happy Birthday America. My heart soars for you.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Tem

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
Congratulation Sean

Like noted above take the time every time something like a sprained ankle happens, go see the doc. Usually they don't do much and we know it, so senior NCOs tend to just gut it out. If you have most all your major and MINOR injury/ailments documented in the medical records then your initial claim to the VA is a lot less complicated and frustrating.

Your particular skill set can translate into a very lucrative post army career as a test office for Army Testing and Evaluation Command (ATEC) with Operational Test Command (OTC) at Fort Hood, or one of their satellites like Ft Huachuca with the UAS testing. That assumes after twenty + years you still have an interest in that field

You might zoom across the airfield one day, see the OTC CSM, and pick his brain about NCO positions there as a subject matter expert...if you secure a NCO position as a SME later when you apply for a GS 12 test officer position you will already have 90% of the Test And Evaluation training OTC provides making you a better candidate for the one open position

Also if you want to translate your MOS to full time employment get to know the proper folks from the system contractor, maintenance contractor, field techs, and parts suppliers of the various UAS systems you are trained for and work on----Later your letter of introduction and employment request goes better if someone in the company remembers you.
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
Thank you for your service, Sean.  My daughter's youngest just reinlisted in the Army for his first re-up. He heads to Hawaii in October - poor baby.  I'm like a few others, nearly went career Navy when my first four years were up, but a great job offer changed my mind.  Ha!  Job fell through later!!  But life's been good anyway, so no regrets, just some curiousity.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
I served in the USAF for 4 years during the Korean Conflict.  I was shocked to see my mil papers that showed my status as "Indefinite" !  That was a shock!  I thought they had me signed up "forever"!  It turned out OK.  I suppose they really didn't want me for that long.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
Thank you, Sean, for your service, and congratulations!

I am always puzzled by the sideways pictures taken by cell phones, so saved it to my box and it was upright! But then I did a little IrfanView work and wanted to post it again to see if it stays upright or changes back. Well...that's interesting. Probably cell phone software silliness?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
Sean I am so pround to know you and your Dad.   I know you take or make the right decisions.   I my self tried to join the Army after talking to my brother who served for two years.   Was told I was not exceptable with a perforated ear drum.   Lucky for me I got put to work with Bell Telephone a few years later.  So take care young man
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »
Sean....Thanks for your service....
It's not a bad choice.......
Have fun!
Peabody

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 01:31:56 AM »
Sean,
Thanks for your service and your decision to continue to protect our great nation.  NCO's are truly the Back Bone of the Army and I know that you're a good man and a good soldier.  "All the Way" !!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50:02 AM »
Sean,

You are a young man and you still have a long ways to go.

I remember back to the mid 60's when we waited for our letter from Uncle Sam for the Draft.

We went, we were trained and we did what we had to do, or was told to do.

Not many decision to be made there, unfortunately.

You made a decision and I believe you made a really good one!

Makes me feel better knowing there are men like yourself, looking out for America's best interests.

Thank you for the service you are giving this Country and thank you for your dedication.  H^^
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
Happy 4th of July to a most deserving individual! Thanks for your continuing service to our country. Whether you continue in the service or transition to civilian life, you have done your part, and then some. Sincerely, thanks again.

My Father-in-law did 20 in the Cavalry, and then retired as a Colonel, finding a civilian post of equivalent responsibility, he did another 10 and now has two (count them) pensions that have him set for life (he is now 91). I realize that pensions are no longer common in civilian life, but care in funding and managing your IRA can do even better! (Study money, it rubs off! send me a PM on how to study, I have done pretty well myself, beating all the other sources of investment that I use. Warren Buffet is my guide!)

Translate your training into a really good civilian job, manage your finances, and you have it made!   H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
 I'll post the official pictures when I get them but this is one the wife took ( I have my back to the camera)

July 1 I reenlisted INDEF. For those who don't know what that means, I'm basically in until I retire.

I was sitting around last night thinking about it. I've been in for 11 years and 5 months, leaving a little over 8 years left. What's more, if I retire right at 20, and start my retirement packet 18months before as normal, then that is less than 7 years away. Kind of a scary thought!  Where has all the time gone...

Go for it Sean!...I did 20 in the AF and retired at the ripe old age of 39. Not many folks can say that. It will go so fast, you may want to stay longer...I tried to get back in during Desert Storm, but they told me to go home...that they "had things under control, if it gets out of hand we will give you a call."  ;)
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »
Thank you for your service to our nation. Same goes to all our veterans past and present, known and unknown.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here