News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What type of fuel line for clunk tanks?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What type of fuel line for clunk tanks?
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »
    Hi All:

What type of fuel line works best for making a clunk tank? Where would one purchase it?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: What type of fuel line for clunk tanks?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:47 AM »
I use the smallest Sullivan tubing ... think it's 3/32".  It's extremely flexible and has no problem flopping around in even the smallest tanks.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
And if you can't buy it from your local hobby shop, buy it online -- Tower Hobby may be your best bet.

A couple of notes:

I use the smallest possible tubing for 3 ounce tanks, with an ID of about 1/16".  That won't fit over most clunks, so I whack off the nipple on the clunk and replace it with a piece of 3/32" OD brass or copper tubing.

Hayes makes even more flexible tubing that they sell with their tanks.  It's black.  I think some searching on Tower will find it for you.  I also don't think it's necessary, but you may prefer it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:48:10 PM »
Frankly, (see what I did there?) I'd throw out an old clunk tank and get a new one. Plastic doesn't last forever, at least, not while remaining useful. The "rubber" plugs, tubing and stuff all degrades. Hayes, DuBro and Sullivan clunk tanks are easy to get and cheap. I listed them in order of preference...but it's my preference, so it doesn't count for a lot.  n~ Steve
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:16:12 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
Frankly, (see what I did there?) I'd throw out an old clunk tank and get a new one. Plastic doesn't last forever, at not while remaining useful. The "rubber" plugs, tubing and stuff all degrades. Hayes, DuBro and Sullivan clunk tanks are easy to get and cheap. I listed them in order of preference...but it's my preference, so it doesn't count for a lot.  n~ Steve

Sullivan and DuBro clunk tanks ship with the same tubing whether they're quart capacity or 2oz.  If you want the clunk to actually work in a smaller tank you need smaller tubing than what comes with the tank.

Hayes tanks just work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
I got some food/medical silicone tubing that is very limp.  It has a thin wall.

3/32 ID x 5/32 OD

I bought a package on ebay, and used it on some smaller clunk tanks (under 4 oz) with excellent results.  Even a Sullivan slant 1 oz moves properly.  Larger tanks (4 oz ad bigger) don't need extra limp clunk lines, medium silicone is fine.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here