News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gasoline fueled glow engines??  (Read 2434 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gasoline fueled glow engines??
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:38 AM »
     Hello All:

Has anybody used one of these engines? What were your impressions and opinions?

Tia,

Frank

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
Re: Gasoline fueled glow engines??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »
I have seen articles on the new gas powered engines. same size size to .21-.31 engines. The are down on power a little bit, engine price is salty   but the fuel is MUCH cheaper. They started putting them in RC cars but at $1400-1800. I don't see them taking the world by storm yet.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:44 AM »
In the back cover on Model Aviation, there is an ad for a new OS gas engine that uses a glow plug - G5, around $13.00.

It would be interesting to try that plug in a standard glow engine.

Bob Z.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
I read a report/test on one...it was apparently a PRC engine, looking a lot like the ASP/Magnums. The report/test wasn't kind, as I recall. One thing about engines on petrol, including spark or diesels, is that the fuel economy is so much better that the accuracy of run-time is much more variable. Both NV settings and fueling accuracy becomes a big problem. If you're flying contests, then you may need to plan for a timer or shutoff of some sort or other. And that's if you get one to run right.

I have posted before about using a small percentage of Coleman Lantern Fuel in glow fuel to improve fuel economy when the tank just didn't hold enough to get through the pattern. It works, no doubt about that. Try 4 oz per gallon or 1 oz per quart. Seems like 6 oz/gallon is max recommended, but 4 oz will make a big difference.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
Recently watched an R/C model with an Evolution 10cc gas engine haul butt!  Great power, but it smelled funny!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
I agree with Steve. I fly a lot of old sparkers and most always run alcohol fuel for contest flying. I tried gasoline and 60wt. oil at VSC one year, and had an overrun of 8 seconds in old time. I do sport fly alot with Coleman fuel and 2 stroke oil from Walmart. It is just to hard to get the right amount for contest flying. One click of the needle and it will run 30 seconds longer or shorter.

I have often thought of getting a timer that I could set for 6 minutes and just fill the tank. That would be the way to go but also add to the complexity.
Jim Kraft

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
Recently watched an R/C model with an Evolution 10cc gas engine haul butt!  Great power, but it smelled funny!

Keith,

I actually considered the Evolution 10cc engine for a model I was drawing/designing. Short nose moment.

Went so far as to draw the thing exact size for the fit. However, many R/C guys had issues with them, and some didn't obviously, so I drew the Jen .57 for the same model design.

I spent a bit more time drawing the Jen .57.  LL~

I'll probably use the Jen.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:41:13 PM »
I have seen articles on the new gas powered engines. same size size to .21-.31 engines. The are down on power a little bit, engine price is salty   but the fuel is MUCH cheaper. They started putting them in RC cars but at $1400-1800. I don't see them taking the world by storm yet.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
www.countylinehobbies.com

Where are you getting your info from?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 05:21:16 AM »
Where are you getting your info from?
RC Car magazines. Horizon has come out with new Gasoline engine cars at $1400-$1800 a whack. The big advantage according to them is the cost of fuel savings gas vs nitro.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
ww.countylinehobbies.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here