News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your ama dues are defending this kind of crap.  (Read 4767 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Your ama dues are defending this kind of crap.
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »

LiveLeak.com - A drone just hit my plane this morning

I have a feeling our dues will go up again soon.

Bob Z.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Your ama dues are defending this kind of crap.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
The video is a fake, which a simple Google search would have told you (if common sense and a good dose of skepticism didn't) . :)

http://m.snopes.com/drone-strike-video/

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »
THIS one may be fake, but it's just a matter of time . . . . .
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »
The video is a fake, which a simple Google search would have told you (if common sense and a good dose of skepticism didn't) . :)

Pat MacKenzie

It may very well be a fake, but why would anyone believe anything SNOPES says...  They've been caught in mistakes and outright lies many times when it suits their political purpose.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
If this video is real I'm thinking big trouble ahead.  If the video is simply a hoax I'm wondering why anyone would go to the trouble to produce it. What in blue blazes could be gained by this if it is a hoax.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
The thing that always makes me wonder on these things is why did someone have a camera on that wing tip in the first place unless they knew something was going to happen.
Jim Kraft

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »
I am also wondering what the motive would be. Maybe the cam was watching the winglet to set up for a fake movie, or maybe it was to watch for the effects of VG's on the wing as the plane got to lower altitude and higher probable humidity, hoping for some neat vortexes or maybe hail strikes. Who knows? There is a school of thought that this was cooked up in the dungeons of AMA, trying to get more of these pesky things owners to sign up for AMA membership....   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
I am also wondering what the motive would be. Maybe the cam was watching the winglet to set up for a fake movie, or maybe it was to watch for the effects of VG's on the wing as the plane got to lower altitude and higher probable humidity, hoping for some neat vortexes or maybe hail strikes. Who knows? There is a school of thought that this was cooked up in the dungeons of AMA, trying to get more of these pesky things owners to sign up for AMA membership....   LL~ Steve

Steve, that's just silly enough to be true!!! LL~ LL~ LL~

Well, very funny anyway!  n~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
I was going to suggest that the video was made by Mike K. Evile, but he's not a techie...I don't think. Is he?  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
I was going to suggest that the video was made by Mike K. Evile, but he's not a techie...I don't think. Is he?  ;) Steve
====================================================
<chuckle>  Nope.  Far FROM it, Steve-o!  I can barely operate this email thingy.  Don't know what an "app" is....and don't really want to know.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »

Pat MacKenzie
Pat is correct, Snopes usually has a good read on this stuff. That's what their whole reputation is based on. They always get it right.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
Pat is correct, Snopes usually has a good read on this stuff. That's what their whole reputation is based on. They always get it right.

PHOOEY...Keep drinking the Kool AID!

Snopes has a good read on the liberal political point of view!  That may not apply in this case (but it might) but I wouldn't trust them on anything!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »

Snopes has a good read on the liberal political point of view!  That may not apply in this case (but it might) but I wouldn't trust them on anything!

If you actually looked at the Snopes page there's a video, by the guy who did the fake, showing how he did it.

And maybe, just maybe, Faux News lies a lot.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:12 PM »

PHOOEY...Keep drinking the Kool AID!

Randy Cuberly
Randy, I for one do not drink the Kool Aid. I am not a liberal, but Snopes reporting has been very accurate on almost everything that is posted on the web. PHOOEY on you.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:30 AM »

Pat MacKenzie
I always wondered who "Snopes", Snopes?
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »
Regardless, it did induce some panic someplace which is against the law someplace. AMA is waisting our money with any of these bozos flying R/C aircraft unlawfully.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
Any REAL drone strike on a commercial flight would have been covered 24/7 by CNN

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
But now gives the wrong people idea's. A new way to bring down a airliner. n1
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
But now gives the wrong people idea's. A new way to bring down a airliner. n1
Ed

Ed, the 'wrong people' don't need crap like this to give them ideas, they've usually had the same stupid ideas themselves long ago.  In this case, they'd have probably realised that it's a pretty dumb way to try and bring down an aircraft, with a very low probability of success.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
Ed, the 'wrong people' don't need crap like this to give them ideas, they've usually had the same stupid ideas themselves long ago.  In this case, they'd have probably realised that it's a pretty dumb way to try and bring down an aircraft, with a very low probability of success.

Yeah but there is no need to give them ideas.

A few months ago a couple -16s dropped some JDAMS on an IS command post.  How did they find it?  An IS member posted a picture of himself infront of the building on facebook, and the photo was used to locate the building.  The next day DoD proudly revealed to the world how they identified the target, thereby completely neutralizing the ability to utilize social media reliably to identify terrorists.

Moral of the story:  Keep your mouth shut.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:48 AM »
My apologies for not posting this sooner but, as happens, life got in the way.

Guilty as stated, I did not verify the validity of the video.

I saw it as something that all modelers should be aware of regarding this new craze of drones/quadcopters/whatever.
Did this really happen? Most likely not, as people can be very creative with videos.

It is indeed, however, most thought provoking.

Could it happen?  I would say definitely yes. While the majority of the people who fly these may be quite responsible, there is a lunatic fringe bent on nothing more than creating problems – possibly very severe problems. And, as tools, they use items that can be purchased anywhere.

Case in point: how many issues have arisen with people pointing lasers at commercial aircraft? One is too many but it has happened all too often. I see the same things possibly happening with the quadcopters.

I have a close friend who, before retiring, was in charge of air traffic control at the Willow Grove NAS/JRB. He told me of multiple incidents where RC planes were involved in close encounters with full scale departing aircraft. These RC planes were flying from a closed airport around five miles from the base. A number of investigations were led by SP and local law enforcement, with visions of jail time. As far as I know, none of the perps were caught. The reports, by the way, were made by the actual Navy pilots.

The many incidents I’ve heard about and witnessed may not have involved modelers or AMA members, just troublemakers. BUT none the less, these incidents are seen as relating to model aircraft and that involves us all.

Will there ever be an incident involving quadcopters a full-scale aircraft? I think so but I hope I’m wrong.

Bob Z.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 01:41:41 AM »
That one is fake, yeah it could happen, I've never seen one because one would probably never see it flying the airplane. I hit a flock of ducks and never saw them, my FO did but it didn't matter we took them all. They were little 3 to 4 pounders, like a drone you'd see at the R/C field and the engines ate the ducks, but they busted the radome so we returned to land. See, they're pretty small and the FAA has been trying to regulate them so when they get bigger they are not where the people carrying airplanes are.
If anyone thinks this is too rare with other types of model airplanes, it's not. Typically it's sailplanes and turbine jet models that get close to real airplanes because they're flying higher typically. I fly r/c in the LA Basin and getting close to an airliner would take some doing if flying from one of the model fields because they're not within the normal eyeball range of your typical r/c modeler. Van Nuys is close to Sepulveda and Chino is close to Prado, so they have hard 400 foot ceilings except during contests where we have an observer to call out full size traffic and we ask the tower for a waiver.
Chris...

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »
I use to fly the company products pipeline with the pipeline flyers. One day we saw something in the air that we could not identify. It was probably 200 to 300 feet away and the sun was flashing off of it. We turned around and went back to see what it was. It turned out to be one of those aluminized party balloons.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here