News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Takeoff location  (Read 1971 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Takeoff location
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
Forgive me if everyone already knows this, but where is the best place to launch a Proto/ F40 relative to the prevailing wind?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Takeoff location
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »
Find the down wind spot and back up 45 degrees.  You don't want the wind getting under your tail.

MM

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

Bill, he got it right u dont want the wind to lift the tail but u also want a good head of steam before u come into the wind. keep it low and dint let it balloon up on take off.

u are aloud to whip for the first lap or 2 .not sure which it is now. Glenn Lee taught me to grab the pylon with my left hand and stretch as for as u can . on release pull the plane using the pylon to pull against ,when u quit whipping your right wrist will come around and drop right into the pylon 
rad racer

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi Bill,

I've personally always found taking off directly down wind to give me problem free takeoffs. The worse the line tension & take off characteristics of you model are, the more whipping it needs on takeoff.
With a properly balanced (or nose heavy) upright model & sub rudder + adequate tip weight; a lot of whipping isn't necessary. You will need to be in the pylon by lap 1-1/2, or face a DQ.  It turns out that the faster you can engage your wrist in the pylon, the faster your elapsed time will be. I hope this helps. ( F-40 REALLY is a great event!)

Cheers, Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here