News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:03:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ro-Jett engine ID  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ro-Jett engine ID
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »
Can anyone of you wise folks ID the two Ro Jetts?

The picture isn't that hot, but it's what I have to work with. They are the Blue and Green headed ones in the picture. They are both .40's, just don't know if they are good for stunt.

I'd appreciate it.

Ron

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ro-Jett engine ID
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »
1) The venturi inserts both look like very large bore items. 2) The plastic mount on the one suggests more likely not stunt, tho some do use them for stunt, it's much less likely. They are used for FF, tho. 3) Most the rest of the engines look like they are hotrod engines, without throttles. The one on the left is almost certainly a Webra Speed 10cc, for example, and the bottom center one is an MVVS .40 to .49. Two engines top center do appear to have throttles, however, and a few I really can't tell. The one top center left is an MVVS R/C 3.5 or .25 (is there a .28?) for R/C combat, fairly hot engine. I'm wondering what the engine in the bag between the two Jett .40's is...maybe an HGK .40. Looks brutal, but I think they were not too good. Upper right is a K&B .40 from about '69-'71. They can run real strong, with good torque. One I worked over ran an 11-4 Rev-Up at 18k on 40% nitro. Good FF engine, not so much for racing, but legit for Quicky Rat (I think it's called). Weak crank, and not a long lived engine without some good rework and very regular rebuilds.   

My guess...and it is a guess...is that these were used for AMA Free Flight gas models, and the ones with throttles just hadn't gotten setup with a venturi yet. Plus, I don't recall ever seeing or reading about a RO-Jett .40 built on a cast case. I think the RO-Jett .40's are all BSE's. But you could certainly shoot the picture to Dubby or RO by email and ask. I'm guessing that they're not stunt engines, anyway.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the info!

I will probably pass them up. This guy has a bunch of other engines though. Believe it or not, most of the planes he has hanging up are RC so I am not sure why he has so many FF/pylon engines.

Ron

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Ron,
Send the picture to Dub Jett, he'll be more than happy to identify them and ballpark any changes (if necessary) if you would like.  I know that he did/does produce .50 cast engines for c/l. At the right price they may be a good investment. Did you get a price from the present owner?
Just one note, Dub may be flooded with NATS related jobs at the moment, but if you also call him he's pretty good about answer the phone.
AMA 34849

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »
As suggested by Tom I sent the picture to Dub, here is his reply:

"They are most likely racing engines and not good for stunt.

However, it is impossible to tell without looking inside.   I did not sell
them with those colored heads.   Someone had them done, but the metal
venturis usually mean race.

They are pretty old.

Dub"

So, with that I will pass. I appreciate the help guys!!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »
Just for the record and all may already know this.  Jett made cast case 40's for the RC racing guys.  These were not the machined bar stock engines that Richard Oliver worked on.  George Aldrich "modified" a few of the cast case engines and made them a .50 for stunt.  Three of those I know about really ran well.  They are engraved with George's name.  George told me that if I needed more on them, Dub knew the metallurgy, the timing, and the fit for the engines.  They could be rear exhaust or side exhaust.

Keith

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
George Aldrich "modified" a few of the cast case engines and made them a .50 for stunt.  Three of those I know about really ran well.  They are engraved with George's name. 

Keith

I have one of those Jett .50's that I bought in '97. Awesome motor.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here