News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quad-Copters Plans Or Kits  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Quad-Copters Plans Or Kits
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
Do you think that the general attitude about quad-copters would be different if they could be scratch built from plans or if high end balsa based kits were available?  They would require building and modeling skills, unlike the RTF available now. 
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline david beazley

• Captain
Re: Quad-Copters Plans Or Kits
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
One of our senior members in my RC club scratched a quad copter.  He has always been electronically inclined being an electro engineer.  He used 4 motors, some wire, an ESC and some other stuff that I don't claim to know anything about, and a couple crossed sticks glued together for a frame.  He actually built it as therapy while recovering from a stroke! It flys and does what it is supposed to do, but I still have no interest in them. 
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
There are quad copter plans, kits, and parts out there.  I haven't been terribly interested in pursuing it, but you can get or make all the bits in any combination you want, then put together a copter.

I doubt you'll see many such built with wood, though -- structurally, building a quad copter out of wood makes about as much sense as making a helicopter out of wood.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
There are many different quad kits out there from all different sizes and shapes.  There are many that are scratch built as well. I have seen a few laser cut plywood small quad kits as well.  They fly good and are a good tool to learn electronics setup on. There are lots of 250-350 sized racer kits out there. Mostly the skeleton and you add your own electronics. 

All of the high end helicopters are kits as well. No it is not wood and glue but you still have to build it and if you don't do it correctly it certainly wont fly worth a crap if at all.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »
http://store.flitetest.com/electrohub-dragonfly-kit/

https://www.google.com/search?q=quad+copter+plans&biw=1920&bih=921&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yiSRVcr2AYjjoATkqakQ&ved=0CCUQsAQ

Again any are kits, some use low cost wood beams or laser cut plywood or G10.  Many require assembly , and solder skills.  Most require you have to make part selections.

Many are heavy in the electronics side of it.

Some even design and build their own autopilot. 

https://www.openpilot.org/

this systems is designed by volunteers are as group.   

So yes there are plans, the best ones are not right out of a box.

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »
Apparently, I wasn't aware that kits and plans exist.  The information superhighway doesn't travel up my way. HB~>
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Quad Copter =  Z@@ZZZ     y1  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 05:21:35 AM »
Maybe if they had a bellcrank and leadouts??

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:32 AM »
Quad Copter =  Z@@ZZZ     y1  Steve

Not these bad boys, racing is a blast!  y1  not sure if they come in a kit but they sell everything needed to build them yourself

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52863__HobbyKing_Spec_FPV250_V2_Quad_Copter_ARF_Combo_Kit_Mini_Sized_FPV_Multi_Rotor_ARF_.html

There are other videos on youtube as well

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
Why can't you put flying wires on one and use the transmitter as the handle or with todays tech just program in the pattern.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here