News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YOU CAN PICK MY NEXT BUILD!!  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
YOU CAN PICK MY NEXT BUILD!!
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
I'm all cought up on my currect builds except for paint.

Now I have to decide on the next model I'll build and I'm having difficulty. It's a toss up between to fine aircraft.

Grumman G-22, or the No. 13 TEXACO.

Yes, both are very different. Here's a photo of each.

Soooooooooo, I would like the Forum members to decide for me which of these two do I build.

Post in this Thread, send a PM or an e-mail. I'll keep track.

All I really need actually, if you think about it, is only three Posts.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Two choices. So it's one or the other.

Al William's Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk, or the No, 13 TEXACO.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: YOU CAN PICK MY NEXT BUILD!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
I vote the Texaco

That Gumman I have seen every time I go to the air and space museum in Chantilly.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
No. 13 TEXACO!
Reminds me of Dan's 'Vista'.
Great subjects!
Good luck with the build & "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
Charles...did you finish the last build?

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
Charles is a prolific builder, as I am also.  I can understand not having less than 2 or 3 projects on the bench at any one time!

The alternative is one who doesn't seem to find the time to even keep one model flying.  I hope I never get to that stage!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »
Look everyone is starting to pick at Charles. Stop! I am loosing my patience on this C P A P. If you don't have something constructive to say don't say anything.
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »
Charles:

Texaco No. 13 for sure. One wing - less construction - easier to balance. Fixed gear - that gear on the Gulfhawk will be a nightmare or extremely expensive to replicate. Not that the inward collapsing gear has not been done before, it has. But it it is probably not for anybody but the extremist. The new rules require a penalty if the real plane had retracts and the model does not. Less flying wire detail and the real engine is more hidden than on the Gulfhawk. Less constructive effort, but equally as striking as a model. Good luck.

Jim Fruit

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
I wasn't picking on Charles.....his work is excellent and I was hoping for some pics of the finished ground attack machine.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
Looks like I am outnumbered here, I immediately picked the bipe, and, with Charle's attention to detail, ORDER him to build it for authentic scale!!!  (Okay, Charles, did this work?)  Pleeeease.  Oh, okay, so the other one won the vote, but IT has to be for authentic scale, then.  (Does it seem like I'm on a mission here?)
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
I say Gulfhawk!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
     Hello Charles:

You are a  true artist! I love to see your building posts as I can just stare in awe at the skill that you have! Where do you store all of the planes that you have built?

How may I send you a private message?

Be well,

Frank

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »
Only two choices? I was going to suggest an SV or ImpAct. Now that there are only two choices, I'd vote for the Model R, but not that paint scheme. The black & red version is most excellent.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »
Al William's Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk....most beautiful plane ever!!! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »
Bah! Humbug! Hey, that'd be cool...build a WBN Humbug.

Hey, Glenn...How did those MECOA .28's and UKEY 35's fly? I never heard a word about them. Yes, they're butt ugly, but they can fly well and are a lot like a TIMEX. Don't make me come up there again. I know when "Perry Fire" is...unless the date changes again this year...  VD~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:53:34 AM »
As of this morning here's the results so far:

4, in favour of the No. 13 TEXACO

3, in favour of the Grumman G-22

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 05:57:14 AM »
Charles.....biplanes are incredibly difficult to trim.....just a thought about the end of the journey....
Have fun!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
 ;D ;D  You're gonna' wanna' wring my neck but why not go for the gusto .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-KYO-KYO-SUPER-CONNIE-Super-Constellation-C-121-Lockheed-/111707300485?  Now you can say you've taken on a challenge!!   ;D ;D

Jim

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »
Charles,
My vote is the biplane.
But as everyone who knows me knows, I'm all about four stroke biplanes and triplanes!!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:40 PM »
So far the tally is dead even. Four each.

I thought I made a mistake with the addition because I have 16 replies and only 8 picks.  n~

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »
It makes the most sense to pick the one YOU like.  As long as you are going to devote many hours of labor on a project,  choose one that YOU really want, in order to keep up the interest during the long build. 

Floyd

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »
I still have only eight picks, dead even at four and four.

I already have the fuselage parts for the No. 13 drawn in CAD. Started that well over a year ago. Just needs fine tuning. It's the engine choice, method of mounting, tank access, and the airfoil choice, that will need the fine tuning for parts.

Built up fuselage, R/C type engine mount, fiberglass cowling, slight dihedral, possible shocked gear, retracts, period wheels, flying wires, dummy radial, correct color scheme and graphics. I'll have both my hands full with each of these models.

So far my research tells me, every drawing I see of the No. 13 TEXACO is different in one form or another, especially the wing. Even with a semi-scale-stunt model, that's not really a good start.

I also have an Artstocraft kit of the Grumman F3F, which is the G-22 with a few changes.

This model is started also. Built for R/C at the time. I put the model on hold because I wanted working retractable gear, which, in itself creates many time consuming and mechanical issues. With the G-22, the gear would have to retract.

Those who design their own models know it takes a great deal of time to draw a model from scratch, especially one that resembles an actual aircraft.

Both these models will require considerable thought and I wouldn't start either one unless I could do an outstanding job.

The No. 13 is the easiest.

If the choices stay dead even, I would build the No. 13. TEXACO

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »
Most problems with retract landing gear are solved with the new all-electric landing gear units.  Self-contained, there are no more troublesome mechanical linkages to get adjusted just right.

I used them on two large semi-scale stunters.  They work OK if you can stand the 4-5 oz. extra dead weight.

I designed and built my own electronic timer, which "listens" to the engine noise.  When the engine stops, the gear comes back down.  (doesn't work very well with electrics).

Floyd

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »
Floyd,

I know you're a clever guy,  H^^, your "sound" electronics are well beyond me.

The gear on the G-22 is complicated. I've drawn it many times and have it in vector format for water jet cutting. Still, my drawings have a way to go if the model is to have retracts that resemble the actual aircraft.

The gear to the F4F Wildcat is similar, but actually different. They do work about the same.

F4F gear.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
Floyd,

The gear to the F4F Wildcat is similar, but actually different. They do work about the same.

F4F gear.

The gear is "similar" but "different" and "about the same".  That explains a lot and is really useful and informative.

There have been articles over the years in the magazines that show how to do the Wildcat gear.  Most used screw jacks of some kind.  A bit complicated and heavy.

Model Airplane news, March 1983 gives complete details for the retracting gear for the Grumman FM-2 Wildcat.  This operates in the same manner as on the full scale aircraft.  This was on a large RC model.

Model Aviation, May 1980 has an article and schematics for the LG on the Curtis F9C-2 Sparrowhawk, another large RC model, but his shows only a gear that is shock absorbing.  Still a complicated set up.

(Note, this is not a vote for either aircraft.)

Keith

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
The gear is quite clever but I know only a few guys who have the skills to make this type setup Keith Spriggs being one and I would bet not only being complicated it would be quite heavy. But I would love to see it done and flying. If the whole system goes over 3 ounces its way too heavy for my liking (wheels included).
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
Charles is a prolific builder, as I am also.  I can understand not having less than 2 or 3 projects on the bench at any one time!

The alternative is one who doesn't seem to find the time to even keep one model flying.  I hope I never get to that stage!

Floyd

Yeah, I have 7 working right now!  I find it keeps the interest up!  Uhhhh Yes I do have one model flying!  Even if it is a little tired.

Charles definitely picks on worthwhile and difficult projects and is in my opinion doing a great job of them.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
Charles. I have somewhere a set of drawings for an f3f gear. If you can wait till my spray season is over  (mid to late August) I'll try to find them an send them to you.  The scale may not be right but that can be fixed.  Don't be afraid to remind me. Rog

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Charles. I have somewhere a set of drawings for an f3f gear. If you can wait till my spray season is over  (mid to late August) I'll try to find them an send them to you.  The scale may not be right but that can be fixed.  Don't be afraid to remind me. Rog

Roger,

What a guy!  H^^

I do have a good number of drawings, including the engineering drawings for the actual aircraft.

A few others drawn by modelers and then, I have my own, which is scaled for the Aristocraft kit.

I would absolutely be interested in seeing what you have?

Thanks for the offer and I'm officially taking you up on it.  ;D

Charles

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 07:07:37 AM »
     Hi Charles

My vote is for the biplane!

Yes, it will be difficult but much more rewarding.  'We choose to build the biplane not because it is easy, but because it is difficult' JFK Lol

Which ever you choose, will be a masterpiece as you have demonstrated in the past!

Good luck my friend,

Frank

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »
     Hi Charles

My vote is for the biplane!

Yes, it will be difficult but much more rewarding.  'We choose to build the biplane not because it is easy, but because it is difficult' JFK Lol

Which ever you choose, will be a masterpiece as you have demonstrated in the past!

Good luck my friend,

Frank

Frank,

You're always right on, what can I say.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I have also received a few PM's and e-mails, currently, the Grumman G-22 is one vote ahead.

Looks like I may have to build some scale retracts.  ;D

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 07:08:47 AM »
G 22
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
As of today, the Grumman G-22 is two votes ahead of the No. 13 TEXACO.

I'm getting e-mails and PM's.

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to making scale retracts for the G-22.

No, I'm not having second thoughts about my fellow modelers picking my next build.

Or am I?   %^@

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here