News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mig-3 Building Techniques  (Read 101660 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Mig-3 Building Techniques
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Just thought I'd drop in a few photos of the building techniques progression on the semi-scale stunt Mig-3's nose area.

I look at the nose completed and painted and sometimes forget the stepts it took me to get there.

As with any completed model, I sometimes look back and can't believe I actually "did that."  ;D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:31:51 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Mig-3 Building Techniques
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
Charles

I wish I could build and paint like you....................  H^^ H^^

Just Beautiful

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
Charles

I wish I could build and paint like you....................  H^^ H^^

Just Beautiful

Carl,

So do a lot of others.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Carl, you're so kind and thanks for the boost. It's appreciated

Ya know Carl, it's actually not as difficult as it looks.

Thanks for the reply.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
Charles;
If I tried to do that it would wind up looking like Earl Shibe did it....................

Remember those commercials?  I will paint any car any color for 29.95............. (believe it was mostly west coast tho)

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:55:41 AM »
Charles;
If I tried to do that it would wind up looking like Earl Shibe did it....................

Remember those commercials?  I will paint any car any color for 29.95............. (believe it was mostly west coast tho)

Carl,

We had Earl Shibe on the east coast also, but by the time they arrived it was 49.95.  LL~ LL~ LL~

FYI. That's all water base artist's acrylic, on the Mig-3.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Someone mentioned tape dwell time, leaving it on long and all, and that got me thinking.

This fine line tape has been on the Mig-3 for quite some time, possibly a month.

Started masking for the yellow underbelly.

Be pointless to remove it and remask, fine line tape is costly.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:33:24 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm lost as to where to Post this, the Mig-3 really isn't scale and it really isn't a stunt ship.

It does resemble a Mig-3 aircraft and it will stunt, probably poorly because it will be about 54 oz with only 50" of span.

All surface detail has been experimental for the benefit of future efforts with the Stuka tank buster.

I used vinyl for this surface detailing. Just enough yellow to cover and close the rivets in and I'm done with the Mig's bottom.

Still have a ways to go.

BTW. All this paint is water base.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:35:10 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
BEAUTIFUL, JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!   H^^ H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:24:23 AM »
Carl,

Your just too kind and a double hats off to boot.  #^

Wow! What a boost.

I have only bits and pieces of detail left to do on the underside, small stuff that's time consuming because I have to lay the art out in CAD then cut the pieces. Hatches and stuff.

I'll use vinyl.

Next half dozen days should show just about finished results for the bottom.

Then it will be the wing and fuse top color which is the last color before graphics.

I'm excited.

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:56:01 AM »
     Hi Charles:

As always, beautiful work! Continue posting the pictures.

The next time that you do a canopy installation, kindly post a "how to" as I can not seem to obtain an attractive appearance of the joint between the fuselage and canopy.

Be well my friend,

Frank

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
     Hi Charles:

The next time that you do a canopy installation, kindly post a "how to" as I can not seem to obtain an attractive appearance of the joint between the fuselage and canopy.

Be well my friend,

Frank

Frank,

I'm not the canopy guru.

There are others that bring clear canopies to life much better than I do.

Many of them don't have toothpicks.  LL~ LL~ LL~

The canopy install on the Mig-3 is someplace? I lose track.  n~

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
    Hi Charles:

Be well my friend,

Frank

AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
Robert,

Just saw your reply Post.

Excellent work as usual.  H^^

Thanks for Posting those great videos.

Robert, I see your work and all I can think of is that James Bond song, "Nobody does it better."

Outstanding!

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »
Hey ya;

Just sent ya an e-mail concerning another plane Charles.   :-)

Carl

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
Hey ya;

Just sent ya an e-mail concerning another plane Charles.   :-)

Carl

Carl,

I just saw this, where have you been?

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here