News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2015 NATS Coverage  (Read 88671 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2015 NATS Coverage
« Reply #500 on: July 18, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Kaz Minato's 1st round flight:

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #501 on: July 18, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »
And last, but certainly not least, Dave Fitzgerald's 1st round flight:

Matt Colan

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #502 on: July 18, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
Brett Buck's first round flight:

Oy! Some intersections on that flight, a 551 was pretty charitable. Not as bad as I thought in other aspects, or at least not as obviously bad as it seemed.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #503 on: July 18, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
My favorite picture of this Nats.  Dawn on day 2 of qualifying; everyone is still in the game, the possibilities are endless.....!
Steve

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2015, 09:07:15 PM »
Having just arrived back in Kansas I wanted to thank all who helped make this Nats and this report what it is.  Matt a special thanks for the videos.. Haven't watched them yet but in the next few...  I wish everyone a safe trip home.

As usual the trip back is a time to reflect on my own performance and where I need new focus to improve.  Sometimes we defeat ourselves in some ways but we also can see where we have moved forward in positive ways.  We can see what works, what doesn't and where we might be wasting our efforts.  The 2016 Nats?  Starts in the morning.

Again Thank You and safe travels
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #505 on: July 18, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

Big thanks to Dave and everyone else who contributed pics, video, and info here, GREAT JOB!!! H^^

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #506 on: July 18, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
Congratulations to Michael Paris and Samantha Hines, to boot.

How did Samantha fly this year?  I know that last year there were raves about how she got the most out of an underperforming plane.

Been facebook IMing with Mike all week.  Sammi had an accident with her new Legacy and had to fly the Long Shot again.  Mike beat her out for the second place spot, though I'm sure Sammi made him work for it.

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #507 on: July 19, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »
Having just arrived back in Kansas I wanted to thank all who helped make this Nats and this report what it is.  Matt a special thanks for the videos.. Haven't watched them yet but in the next few...  I wish everyone a safe trip home.

As usual the trip back is a time to reflect on my own performance and where I need new focus to improve.  Sometimes we defeat ourselves in some ways but we also can see where we have moved forward in positive ways.  We can see what works, what doesn't and where we might be wasting our efforts.  The 2016 Nats?  Starts in the morning.

Again Thank You and safe travels

Thanks Dave for your great reporting...for those of us that couldn't attend...you made it as close as possible to being there...Well done.
BTW: I need to be "smacked"," I forgot to mention...Thank you Matt for the videos...they were a point of some texts that I exchanged today with some flying friends taking note as to "where we can improve our own flying." The videos are extremely helpful. Again, thanks. Maybe next year.
Norm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:46:44 PM by Norm Faith Jr. »
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2015, 01:09:08 AM »
Been facebook IMing with Mike all week.  Sammi had an accident with her new Legacy and had to fly the Long Shot again.  Mike beat her out for the second place spot, though I'm sure Sammi made him work for it.

An earlier post in this thread showed the scoreboard for Junior indicating that Samantha Hines won 1st place.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #509 on: July 19, 2015, 02:37:01 AM »
Outstanding!  H^^
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #510 on: July 19, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks to Dave Trible for providing us with regular updates, and also to Matt Colan for his video's. It really had my excitement up every day. Wow these top guys can really fly in the rough stuff! Paul was exceptionally good with the Raptor and that power packages looks as good....or better than anything that he flew before. A big congrats to Paul on winning this prestigious event! Congrats to all of the top 5 pilots and big condolences to Derek for the wing that broke off like that. Especially when that engine sounded so damn good!

Just one question did anyone manage to shoot any video of Bob Hunt's new twin? I would love to see that flying!

Keith R
Keith R

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #511 on: July 19, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
Bob's twin looks extremely cool in flight with the gear up.  Retracts work well.  Curiously, his props turn the same direction. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #512 on: July 19, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
Great reports and pictures. Thanks to Matt for filming the top 5 flights. Very educational.

Congratulations to all the top 5 fliers. Seems tough conditions and you all flew well and walked away with airplanes. Great job!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #513 on: July 19, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
Steve,
I like your picture so much that I have made it my desktop screen saver for this month.
AMA 7544

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #514 on: July 19, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
What was the final result?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #515 on: July 19, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Great Job Paul. Here in the NW we see you fly, judge, and be an all around good guy. :-*  :-*
See you soon.
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #516 on: July 19, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
Really enjoyed all this.
Whooooooo Buddy))))
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #517 on: July 19, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »
Saturday's blue sky required some wingover shots...

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #518 on: July 19, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
Dave T, once again you made the nats an enjoyable time for us at home, thank you so much for an outstanding job!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #519 on: July 19, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »
Absolutely awesome....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #520 on: July 19, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »
I would like to congratulate PW on his 12th win.  Certainly a number of wins that will be hard to beat let alone match.  12 wins is an INSANE amount of domination. To do such a thing in any event takes an incredible amount of work and dedication and CLPA is no different and might even be harder as you have to BUILD YOUR OWN MODEL!!!!  BOOM!!!  A detailed conversation with Paul this week revealed he really does work his ass of at this stuff and wins because of it.  Congratulations again!!  Your work and attention to detail has once again prevailed.

Congrats to David for a hard fought finals.  He had to fly an incredible flight in the second round on Top 20 day to make the finals and he took advantage of it and pressed Paul as best he could in the finals.  Second place is hard to swallow but from my position 6th is way worse!  ;D  The Thundergazer has and is serving you well.   

Orestes Hernandez is a workaholic on the field.  This guy gets out a flys and trims on his Shark all the time.  He and his trusty flying partner Josias are always there putting in flight after flight. They found the racing circles and took advantage in the mornings and got in some serious work and it paid off. My son thought his spinner was really cool with all the extra cooling holes in it.   :D :D

All week long Derek and I thought Brett Buck was the class of the field.  He and his plane are like one well oiled machine.  His plane just flips through the corners with ease.  It looked the same when the winds were blowing or not.  It was always the same.  Anyone who has ever seen BB fly knows he just stands there like he is waiting for money from the atm to pop out.  His body language is very quiet. Friday morning in the winds we saw him whip his plane into the overhead eight entrance.  We knew it was howling when we saw that happen.  4th place in this crowd is a very respectable finish and he should be proud.

Kaz Minato continues to dominate the US scene year after year.  I commented to my brother "If he would save some traveling money sometimes I might have a better chance!"  HAHAHA!!  Seriously though this guy is top notch in every aspect, building, finishing, flying, and most importantly as a gentleman.  Every year he brings a model that has been flown hard and traveled all over the world and it ends up on the front row every time. It's amazing and it's no fluke or luck of the draw or a chance happening.  He works hard at this game and it pays off year after year.  Way to go Kaz! Please keep coming back. The US scene is always better when you are here.

This was a great a nats.  If you have not been please come and see these things first hand for yourself.  In the end it's numbers on a board and a name on the Walker Trophy but the memories that were created along the way will be cherished forever.  Come to Muncie and create your Nats modeling memories....

Thanks for reading, that is all for now.

:) :) :)
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #521 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
Well said, Doug - - in all respects!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #522 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
Bob's twin looks extremely cool in flight with the gear up.  Retracts work well.  Curiously, his props turn the same direction. 

Interesting Howard, I thought he said earlier they counter rotated.  Changed maybe?

I'm going to call him when he gets home to order some "stuff" anyway!  Curious minds want to know!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #523 on: July 19, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Congratulations, Paul!
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #524 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
My grandfather and I just got home after a long 16 hour drive from Muncie. I had an absolute blast all week seeing and making new friends. The NATS is almost as much a social gathering as it is a competition. I was, and still am disappointed that I missed the top 20 by less than three points, but it was definitely a learning experience. You just can't give away points anywhere, including in appearance. They matter just as much as flight points. With that in mind, I will definitely be have an airplane that looks better, and one that is rubbed out to gain every point possible. Also, I have to have a better looking plane so Randy Smith can stop calling me "Dozen."  LL~

There were so many great experiences over the past week, I can't put them all down on one post. Anybody who hasn't been to the NATS and is considering going, you just have to go. The videos, posts, and pictures is only a very small aspect of what goes on here.
Matt Colan

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #525 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:31 PM »
So.....what is the low small blue tent next to the circle? I just need to know.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #526 on: July 19, 2015, 11:22:58 PM »
My favorite picture of this Nats.  Dawn on day 2 of qualifying; everyone is still in the game, the possibilities are endless.....!

Awesome picture, Steve.  Made it my first desktop pic other than one of my daughter's pastel landscapes in many a moon.  Your comment was spot on as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Ted Fancher

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #527 on: July 19, 2015, 11:30:19 PM »
So.....what is the low small blue tent next to the circle? I just need to know.
Shug

Shug,

That low blue tent used to be a tall blue tent until the wind blew at which time the inhabitants wisely lowered its angle of attack.  Standard practice when the wind gets above Vr (rotation speed) for the tent's gross weight.

Ted

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #528 on: July 20, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »
Shug,

That low blue tent used to be a tall blue tent until the wind blew at which time the inhabitants wisely lowered its angle of attack.  Standard practice when the wind gets above Vr (rotation speed) for the tent's gross weight.

Ted
Thankee. Thought maybe it was covering a hole. Maybe some sort of visual aid. Possible judge nap spot.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Eric Viglione

« Reply #529 on: July 20, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »

I have to agree with other comments so far Steve, this is a great pick, especially including all the manly one handed engine burping going on at the crack of dawn.

Congrats on a great Nat's recovery with the last minute build/finish of the new Rapier too! Well done!
EricV

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #530 on: July 20, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
I have to agree with other comments so far Steve, this is a great pick, especially including all the manly one handed engine burping going on at the crack of dawn.

Congrats on a great Nat's recovery with the last minute build/finish of the new Rapier too! Well done!
EricV

Dave and Brett drive me nuts with that stuff!!!! I always offer to help when I see it but they always decline. Those two scare the @#$% out of me doing that.

Derek

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #531 on: July 20, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »

Dave and Brett drive me nuts with that stuff!!!! I always offer to help when I see it but they always decline. Those two scare the @#$% out of me doing that.

I may cut my face off. But, then again, my face is not really worth saving.

I only do it myself in reasonable air, with me aimed the right way WRT the wind, and with my elbow braced on my knee. If not all of those, I get assistance.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #532 on: July 21, 2015, 05:24:05 AM »
EricV

Thanks Eric for all the help and patience you showed while I at times chased my tail with the new plane.  It was the end of what had been a very long month.  At home it feels a bit strange to not have to rush down to either the shop or flying field every morning!

I was pumped to qualify again after missing last year, but hated to see it come at the expense of Eric Taylor and Matt Colan, both of whom flew extremely well all week long.  I think the total spread between 5th, 6th, and 7th on our circle was three points(!)  Eric was battling a bug of some sort and really had to gut out the contest; I can't imagine flying a Nats while being sick.

Matt got to have Brett and Dave look over his Thundergazer and I know the model will be flying better than ever thanks to their input.   The session provided some comic relief as well: "Hey! who put this trim tab on....!"

I had to leave early Saturday because it transpired that Friday night a drunk driver got bored and decided to drive his F-150 THROUGH the side of my wife's office.  Fortunately the drunken idiot was not injured and the truck hit part of her building that was not being used, so she can still run her practice while repairs are being made.  Nonetheless, she was pretty agitated and was glad I got home when I did.
Steve

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #533 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »
Thanks Eric for all the help and patience you showed while I at times chased my tail with the new plane.  It was the end of what had been a very long month.  At home it feels a bit strange to not have to rush down to either the shop or flying field every morning!

I was pumped to qualify again after missing last year, but hated to see it come at the expense of Eric Taylor and Matt Colan, both of whom flew extremely well all week long.  I think the total spread between 5th, 6th, and 7th on our circle was three points(!)  Eric was battling a bug of some sort and really had to gut out the contest; I can't imagine flying a Nats while being sick.

Matt got to have Brett and Dave look over his Thundergazer and I know the model will be flying better than ever thanks to their input.   The session provided some comic relief as well: "Hey! who put this trim tab on....!"

when we went to dinner after the pilots meeting and circle assignments, Steve and I joked about one of us beating the sh*t out of the other if one of us knocked the other out of the top 20. When I went to congratulate Steve on making the cut, first thing I said to him was, "do I get to beat the sh*t out of you now or later." All in good fun of course! ;D congrats on making the cut, you put in a couple good wind flights that day!

I'll get that trim tab fixed hopefully this week...assuming grandpa hasn't packed away everything I need for it yet.
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #534 on: July 21, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Just thinking of the fact that Brett, Howard, Paul, etc are probably still driving home at this hour. 
Steve

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #535 on: July 21, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
I think I may have one input that might help someone (me) avoid having a less than stellar contest experience due to a prop-induced injury. I really cannot fathom how I managed to brush the back of the prop while removing the glow-driver, but, the reason I can't fathom how I did it is because I didn't SEE it happen. Therefore, I wasn't watching what I was doing, was I?

dg

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #536 on: July 21, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »
Home now. 16 hours Sunday and 17 Monday.

Tired now!

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #537 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
First of the movie/pics uploads.

Not sure what happened. All clear now
AMA 12366

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #538 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »
Just thinking of the fact that Brett, Howard, Paul, etc are probably still driving home at this hour. 

Just getting cranked up for it, actually. I drove (starting at 3:45 in the morning on Sunday) to Hot Springs, Arkansas, to visit my elderly parents. I just said goodbye, and will be leaving Hot Springs around 4:00 AM to start back. First night, Gallup, NM, then home on Thursday late. Assuming that the I-10 bridge failure doesn't create a massive traffic jam on i-40.

Brett

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #539 on: July 21, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
Dale,

I think that we should all paint the prop tips white or yellow like full size aircraft. We are all  lazy in that category, including me.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #540 on: July 22, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
Painting the prop tips won't help if your fingers get against the back of the prop blade.   I have a pic some where of mine.  It was the old IQ finger on me.   I'm just glad it wasn't the front of the prop.   Of course I've lost count how many times the prop has gotten me during a race or when I do something stupid.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #541 on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »
 #^ y1 y1
Thanks Dave for the great reporting. Now we can get a little rest. Z@@ZZZ
Gene

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #542 on: July 22, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
#^ y1 y1
Thanks Dave for the great reporting. Now we can get a little rest. Z@@ZZZ
Gene

Thanks Gene and it's always great to spend time with you.  Rest?  Is it flying weather?

Just heard from Joe Gieseke.  He now lives in my area and may come to fly with us at the new field (we hope)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:23:23 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »
Gene,
I've looked but no one has posted any pictures of the trophy presentation after the Walker fly off. Do you have any that you could post? A picture of when Michael Paris sprayed Samantha Hines with champagne after the presentation would also be great. Thanks.
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #544 on: July 22, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »

Was Mike the only one of the Paris' to fly at the NATS?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #545 on: July 22, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Home now. 16 hours Sunday and 17 Monday.

Tired now!

I am halfway through - 16+ hours today (big crash in Albuquerque during rush hour, right near pre-existing road construction). Not terribly tired but another 15-ish tomorrow.

Brett

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #546 on: July 22, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
Was Mike the only one of the Paris' to fly at the NATS?

I believe John Paris flew in both Old Time and Classic on Tuesday.
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #547 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
    I am halfway through - 16+ hours today (big crash in Albuquerque during rush hour, right near pre-existing road construction). Not terribly tired but another 15-ish tomorrow.

It was indeed another 15 hours - would have been more like 12.5 if it weren't for bad drivers, all of which were in California. Bad trying to get through Bakersfield over to I-5, and the usual "quality driving" on I-5, with idiots running side-by-side for mile after mile 5 mph below the speed limit and other idiots passing on the right trying to get ahead.

Brett

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #548 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
     It was indeed another 15 hours - would have been more like 12.5 if it weren't for bad drivers, all of which were in California. Bad trying to get through Bakersfield over to I-5, and the usual "quality driving" on I-5, with idiots running side-by-side for mile after mile 5 mph below the speed limit and other idiots passing on the right trying to get ahead.

Brett

Being that this is in California Brett, could it be due to "global warming?"  ;)  (Sometimes I just can't resist the urge.)
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #549 on: July 24, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »
Being that this is in California Brett, could it be due to "global warming?"  ;)  (Sometimes I just can't resist the urge.)

People driving northbound on I-5 are mostly from LA. That's probably a sufficient explanation.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here