News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Vintage Combat Plane Festival  (Read 33764 times)

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
The Vintage Combat Plane Festival
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
It's not too early to start up some chatter about the 3rd Festival being held on September 20 at the Garden State Circle Burners field. The first two have been well received with many different oldies going up in the air. There are no rules other than flying safely. Mostly ships go up one at a time but there were a couple of 'matches' last year. The goal is to gather as many combat ships from the beginning to, roughly, the mid 70's. Wood planes. I expect to have 2 or 3 circles for us to use. We ask for a $5 donation for all participants. This all goes to GSCB to help them maintain the field. There will be food available as well.

Last year I made a nice prize, endorsed by LS himself, for the person with the fastest Baffle piston powered plane. Participation was light so it will be offered again. In  fairness I will include the ST G-21 .35 non-schnuerle this year. We have several of the ABC .36x motors running. They work well so bring out your best junk, tip the can and go for the speed!!   Come out for the fun of it!    C.T. Schaefer

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: The Vintage Combat Plane Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »
LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

I've got my vacation time marked off, and the wife and I will be making our plans within a week or so. (i.e. A motel to stay at in NJ, places to see coming back through W. Virginia, etc.)

Was hoping to have another airplane built to bring along with the others... but that's looking doubtful. (Time issues among other things.)

Vintage combat planes RULE!
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »
I won't be coming to NJ, but I have an actual flyable Equalizer.  G21/35 with a nylon 88.
Paul Smith

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
This is a definite highlight of the year for me. My fleet is growing for this event.
This year I'll have;

Greased Lightning -35x seriesIII
Killer-36x
Combat Streak- la 25
Voodoo 36x
Super Satan-7 Straight wing 36x
Super Satan-12 Taper wing 36x
Bl...

looking forward to meeting Andre

See you there!

Tom Luciano
AMA 13001

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »
I'm gonna bring my fleet too #^
AMA 89335

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
Alas, I may only have a trio of planes to bring:

Wooten Demon - 36X powered.
Scarinzi Super Satin (tapered wing) - LS 36X powered.
Combat Cat - 36X powered.

However, I can still hope for a forth plane IF they'll ever get my new 16' x 20' hobby building finished so I can move my hobbies into it. This new building is where I'll be building/storing my airplanes along with some of my other hobbies.

FWIW: I had to repair an age/fatigue related internal control issue on my Super Satin. I think it's time to retire it before something bad happens to it. SO... I think I'm gonna' have ol' Larry autograph it, and it will be hung up in a place of distinction here at my house.   

Tom: I too am looking forward to meeting the East Coast Crazies as well as others from all over the big ol' USA/Canada!  Also, think: "Italian Hot Dog". (Mmmmmm!)

IT WILL BE EPIC!!!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 04:22:59 AM »
             My son Shawn and I are looking forward to the day. Dennis Lipsett here on the forum has graciously provided us with additional models for the event. Thank you Dennis. In addition, Marvin Denny was exceptionally helpful in providing me with hard to find Fox parts. Both individuals were inspirational and helpful.  We've had a busy year so far which has certainly had to sideline certain fun activities. This is a good time for all who attends.

T-Square  Fox .36X
      Consolidated WoW Early version Fox Rocket with the bolt on front end
      Half Fast   Fox .35X
      Sneeker    Honkin Fox .35 stunt
      Consolidated Jubilee FP.20
      Wooten Demon  extended booms Fox Mk III
      Combat Streak  Currently a MAX-S .35 engine possibly to be changed
      Whipsaw Fox .15
      Voodoo Supertiger .35 G-21

I think for me it's getting all this stuff ready and going prior to the event. I receive a lot of satisfaction from getting all this stuff to work and fly well trouble free. It becomes quite rewarding to just grab a handle and go fly.   Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
Add this one ! Scarinzi KILLER - Fox 36x standard

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 08:26:16 PM »
Frank, Looking good!

Andre- Italian Hot Dog= Jimmy Buff's y1

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Keeping our priorities in line, I also vote for Jimmy Buff's. ;D

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
If he is willing, I believe that  GSCB member Ron"The Deli Guy" could make-up a nice  Jimmy Buff's  (Irvington , NJ) Style Italian Hot Dog Sandwich- Fried Hot Dog/Fried Potatos/Onions/Peppers in a 1/2 moon" pocket" roll.

If there is enough interest and we pre-pay him BEFORE , perhaps, just perhaps, he just might. :P

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
 Tonight we got out and flew exclusively 1958 Larry Scarinzi designed Killers. We had a absolute blast. Larry brought the original pictured in front and flew it. War wounds and all, that plane is 57 years old. Johnson for power. Frank's and mine had their first flights with positive results.

Front Row- Larry Scarinzi Original Johnson .35
2nd Row Left- Tom Hampshire Johnson .35
2nd Row Right- Tom Schaefer Fox Rocket
3rd Row Left- Tom Schaefer Fox stunt
3rd Row Right- Tom Luciano Fox .36xbb
4th Row- Frank Imbriaco Fox .36 Standard

The Killers are ready to go for September!!!!

Tom
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:36:14 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
I think we all agree. Good old planes. Good old fun! Great flying site too. (Thanks Frank) All is not as it seems with my planes. The black one has a Rocket .40 and the white one a Stunt .29. Little hammer and a sledge hammer. Both work well. Cheers to all!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Tom L.
 Glad we all had so much fun with these great  vintage L.S. ships

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
It's getting closer! 

Hey Frank... you gonna' have some "Scramblers" there?  Will Dan Domino be there?

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »
Andre:
I will be there with a new Scrambler powered by my  original  LS FOX 36X BB  and my new  Fox 36 Standard powered Killer.

To my knowledge, Dan has not rekindled his ukie interests. Last I saw him, he was doing some free flight.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
When I started Combat Graffiti I knew there were not enough combat/ craftsman here in the NW to create the event. I took the Venue to Vancouver B.C. There we have master builders who used to fly combat back in the day. There are a few in the Seattle area but they were not really interested in the idea. Funny isn't it? There were so many odd looking and interesting ideas from 1950 to the mid 60's that I consider "the golden age" of combat. They were by no means the best flying things, but so innovative. In my research for this event, I tried fairly hard with interviews, to learn where combat originated. Come to find out, it's a pickle barrel topic and anyone asking it is just itchin for a fight. Best I can determine is it happened almost immediately after u/c was developed. My gut tells me Texas or Detroit, but who knows, maybe it was Obie after he developed the 2 line system.

You guys have taken the idea to a great level, good on ya.

Ken Burdick

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
Frank:

Great! Looking forward to seeing one fly!  Always thought the airplane and article was cool, but no way this lazy guy was going to build one!  BTW: What are you calling a "Fox 36 Standard"?  I haven't heard that term used before.

Ken:

Your Combat Graffiti idea was great. Way too far from me to seriously consider attending, but I always enjoyed the pics n' stuff on the net following the event. 

IMHO, in regards to a combat flyer that is still actively competing: Seems that it's harder to attract their interest for an event that is based on nostalgia, the older airplanes/engines, and the fun of years gone by. Typically, combat is about extracting the most performance out of a system and/or cutting edge (pun!) technology/etc.  Thus, they may not get too excited about an LS-tuned 36X on the nose of a Scrambler turnin' n' burnin' as us vintage crazies can!

Andre

Offline john knoppi

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
I wish they still had it here in washington, i just got back into combat and started buying combat planes from yesteryear, and engines too, so now not sure ifi want to sell some off or keep them

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »
Andre,
you are spot on about combat flyers and who would attend or go to the work to produce pristine looking antiques. The rules were designed with that in mind. I made an observation that many stunt flyers used to fly combat but hated the loss of their beautiful work.....they eventually gravitated to stunt and superior finishes. My thought was to attempt to get these guys to build the old stuff, finish as they would a PA ship and judge them accordingly. It's more of a scale event with limited combat thrown in for the fun of it. There is a center marshal to prevent the combat flyer in entrants to take over. If it get's in a line entanglement or too heated, the match is stopped. The emphasis is to appreciate the work involved, reward for it, have some fun.

Cheers n Enyas

Ken

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
Frank:

BTW: What are you calling a "Fox 36 Standard"? 
  Andre:I'm referring to the plain bearing, shiny crankcase Fox 36 and 29 made in the early 70s .Smaller than the 36x,

Ken :  You're right-A fair number of us combat fliers of yore are concentrating on stunt these days .

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »
there's a number of reasons guys stop flying combat, no matter what that is we all loved the fun parts of it. So Combat Graffiti was designed to be a builders event. We all relearned how to apply silk, used lots of dope and poly u 2 part. Mater builders such as Greg Davis built front row stunt quality deltas and we didn't wreck a model. The rules were structured so that an average builder like myself could actually win the contest with a good model and some good flying. In my fleet are: Super swoop, Super Whipsaw, Big Iron, Blitz, WoW, Half Fast 11, Missourian (kitted by buildright)
on the winter list is the T-Square and the Sweet Sweep.
It's sort of addicting  :)!

Ken

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »
Frank:

Ah! Got it!  The 36 inside a lightened and shorter case. (Thus it uses a different crankshaft than the 36X.)  During my middle stint at Fox Mfg, I inherited the 36 production line during its first run. The engine had "issues" that had to be solved.  Long story best told another time.  Can't really recall the "official" name of that engine, but I "think" I remember the labels saying "Fox 36 C/L" or, maybe it was "Fox 36 Sport"... ???  Too many decades have passed.

Ken:

Load those bad boys up and come on out to NJ this September!!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
Andre,
you are spot on about combat flyers and who would attend or go to the work to produce pristine looking antiques. The rules were designed with that in mind. I made an observation that many stunt flyers used to fly combat but hated the loss of their beautiful work.....they eventually gravitated to stunt and superior finishes. My thought was to attempt to get these guys to build the old stuff, finish as they would a PA ship and judge them accordingly. It's more of a scale event with limited combat thrown in for the fun of it. There is a center marshal to prevent the combat flyer in entrants to take over. If it get's in a line entanglement or too heated, the match is stopped. The emphasis is to appreciate the work involved, reward for it, have some fun.

Cheers n Enyas

Ken

Hi Ken:

I fall into the category you mentioned in your post. I used to love to build combat ships, but I was told that I made them too pretty.  :-\ I've decided to build a few more now that I've retired from Nats level stunt competition. My first one is the Sweet Sweep. I built the wing for it in my Lost-Foam system. In fact, many of the Killers that have been built around here were constructed in a Lost-Foam fixture. You might notice that the center section is a bit different than the stock Sweet Sweep. I've decided to try one with an electric motor. Hope that doesn't get me black balled from this fun event... ::) 

I've been in touch with Dave Adamisin about the motor/battery systems that they use in electric pylon racing. It won't run too long, but I predict it will be fast!  ;D

Next up will be a Werewolf, then a Lethal Blast, a Blitz, and if I can convince Larry to part with the plans, a Sting Ray!  #^

I'm gonna have some fun!

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Bob Hunt blurted out...

"I've decided to try one with an electric motor. Hope that doesn't get me black balled from this fun event..."  

Blasphemy! Blasphemy!

Off with his head!

EVERYBODY that's ANYBODY in Vintage Combat Planedom knows that REAL men use REAL combat engines to power their vintage combat airplanes.   It simply WOULD not be RIGHT and PROPER to use a buzzing electric motor thingie on a detailed, exact replica of a "Lil' Doozie" combat airplane (and so forth).

That excellent looking Sweet Sweep you're building will hang its head in shame at the sight of a buzz bomb on its nose.  So sad.

I'll provide the feathers, guys... one of you needs to bring the tar...

LL~

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
Gosh; I wonder if there is a stunt contest in the area on that day...  :-\

I'm pretty well committed to the electric nose at this point, so I'll just make engine noises with my mouth when I fly. Hey, save that tar; my driveway needs sealing... <=

Looking forward to meeting you Andre - Bob

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
Bob:

Seriously: Welcome to fold comprised of us vintage combat crazies. Looking forward to meeting you as well and looking forward to seeing that Sweet Sweep and watching it fly!

Mouth engine noises will suffice provided the sounds emitted properly replicate the sounds of an engine appropriate to the era of the Sweet Sweep. Otherwise it's tar n' feather time, baby!

:D

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
I'm practicing by best Johnson 35 sound right now; my dog thinks I'm crazy. He's a very astute dog... Perhaps this might be a whole new career opportunity for sports impressionist Frank Caliendo.  ::)

Later - Bob

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Bob- last time I saw Larry, at Brodaks, I asked him about Sting Ray also. He told me it was nothing more than Werewolf with the tips reversed and the cowl added. Are Werewolf plans available? I've started building my Jim Mears designed  Raunchy. Might also build Wooten Sneaker from my Umland kit.

Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 05:54:34 AM »
Hi Lyle:

Actually I'm very familiar with the Sting Ray as I was a member of the Union club in the 1950s and '60s and got to watch Larry fly each new plane he built (and there were a ton of them!). The Sting Ray is in essence a Greased Lightning with a swept forward leading edge. Larry and I have spoken about this ship and a possible reprise of it for years. It would be a natural to be constructed in the Lost-Foam system. Again, it would be an electric powered model for me.

Later - Bob 

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »
Bob- thanks for mom or jogger, yes it was Greased Lightning he mentioned. I mixed it up with Werewolf. I was at Snowbird meet , maybe 1964? and saw him fly his StingRay. I have a pic (35 mm slide) of it on the table.  Same meet I got to see Harold Price Valkyre and his "jet" style with the retracts, and John D's, blue colored Falcon. Pic of that Falcon is on Mike's Bluesky web site. Wonderful memories
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:21 AM »
I meant to type "memory jogger ". Darn spell ck.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
10-4 on the spell check, Lyle; had me a bit worried there for a moment...

Check out the attached photos of Larry with his Grey Ghost. I know this is a Combat forum, and this is a Stunt plane, but I thought it appropriate as this stunt model went faster than most of the combat ships of the era. It is another model that I hope to build now that I am in "fun" mode. Also attached is a photo of Larry and Ginger with Larry's Gay Devil. It, too, was nothing more than a combat ship of the era fitted with a cockpit and landing gear!

Later - Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »
Did Larry ever fly a slow plane.  Even at VSC it was amazing how fast he would fly.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »
F8U Crusader was the model I remember at Snowbird meet. It had retracts powered by a custom machined modification of Cox .010 to pressurize the mechanism. I have photo of Crusader taken same day at Snowbird meet.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
Bob,
  We need to welcome you down here, where us vintage combat junkies hang out. The sweet sweep is looking....um sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing the Electra sweet sweep fly!

I'm also building a plane (as you know) in a lost foam fixture. The aforementioned Blitz. Quick work in the fixture! Pacifier pod epoxy coat drying now.  Close it up and start sanding then, Silk baby! Hope to have in the air first week of Sept.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »
Hi Bob.
Welcome to the geezer club....:)
The vintage combat stuff is really fun in a collectors sort of way. I think your idea of lectric is great and let me know how it works out. me...I want to break my arm trying to start these old time POS's my best seems to be Enya .29 and worst is balky but faster Fox black head I got from Marvin Denny.
I have a sweet sweep in the basement waiting for winter building. Are you going to use silk and dope?

Ken

Online jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Looking good Tom.  Like the ribs!
Jim Vigani

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:38 PM »
some of the combat G models

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
I'm not getting much luck with the photo's but will keep sending one at a time

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
Greg Davis built combat streak

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
More models

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
Missourian as kitted by Buildright

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
one last shot to see if this one will fit the frame here

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
WOW!!  I have one too. Built from the Tom Niebuhr kit. K&B Green on pressure. Fun. A little hairy. Last flown this summer. 18.3/7 laps. That Scrapper is really nice. Never had one but it's looks really appeal to me. What motor you got on it? Anyone have plans or kit?
    It's lots of fun flying these old planes back to back to see and feel the evolution in design and equipment that took place in less than 15 years! WOW/Greenhead vs Voodoo/ 36x BB. Each one is quite a different experience, ain't it? Would I be forgiven for this......  It's a Blast

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
The Scrapper was built by Nationals champ in scale and speed, Barry Hobkirk. There is no kit per se but the plans can be purchased from Barry Baxter at his plans service.
All the models are old school finish and judged on such including the engine shown in the plan set.
Lotta fun

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »
The werewolf was built by a master molder from Vancouver B.C. who builds and wins in giant R/C scale........it's a beautiful piece of work

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 05:36:24 PM »
Great pics everyone!!

Re: "Lost Foam Jig" technique...

One of these days, I gotta' find out more about this here "lost foam jig" thingie.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
StingRay

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »