News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motors running in clockwise  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Robert Schulze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
motors running in clockwise
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »

Hello everybody,

Who knows motors running in clockwise?
Is there a list or experiences?
Electrically it just goes.
but I want a Glow Engine
thanks
greeting
Robert
ps. One more info from a lovely weekend in Belgium
http://mach-vzw.jalbum.net/Rondvlucht%20Rodeo/

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
Re: motors running in clockwise
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
Wonderful!!  Thanks for sharing your photos.  It looks like everyone had a wonderful time.  Wish I could have helped with some of that excellent looking food!!   :D

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
Unfortunately, carrier is dominated by a handful of guys who were able to get left-handed Nelsons and K&B 5.8's back in the day.  The torque advantage at low speed is overwhelming.  In the absence of huge money and/or inside connections, you cannot seriously compete in carrier without one of these. 
Paul Smith

Online Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:06:42 PM »
I have been very successful in glow-powered Carrier over the years, more so than anyone else, I believe. I have never used a reverse-rotation engine in competition. Although some really like the reverse rotation engines, I have found that having reverse rotation is not necessary for success in carrier competition.
Pete

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »
I have used both reverse and normal rotation on glow and electric. I have found some planes actually are better on normal and vice-versa. Probably because of their trimming . I agree with Pete, either can be trimmed to work. On electrics it is easy to go either way so fly what works best. On glow it is harder to find cranks, but many of the rear intake motors will run either direction( illegal in AMA profile, but OK in scale)

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:06 PM »
The manufacturer who probably built more reverse rotation cranks than anyone is FOX. If you look around, you can probably find a reverse crank for the Fox 36-40BB engine with the 1/2" crank journal, and assemble an engine. If you use some of the aftermarket hop-up piston/liners and head buttons, you can put together a potent engine.

OS used to make a reverse crank for the 40-46SF engines. I flew these in class 1 and 2 for a while. As a bonus, the engines would interchange and you could fly two classes with one airplane. These cranks also fit the FX series engines.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
Those who have been able to get left-handers seem to feel it was worth the effort.  They will gladly take you entry fee if you think you have a chance to beat them.

Maybe there were be more interest if the event were not dominated by a few special engines. 
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
I have been very successful in glow-powered Carrier over the years, more so than anyone else, I believe. I have never used a reverse-rotation engine in competition. Although some really like the reverse rotation engines, I have found that having reverse rotation is not necessary for success in carrier competition.
Pete

I have used both reverse and normal rotation on glow and electric. I have found some planes actually are better on normal and vice-versa. Probably because of their trimming . I agree with Pete, either can be trimmed to work. On electrics it is easy to go either way so fly what works best. On glow it is harder to find cranks, but many of the rear intake motors will run either direction( illegal in AMA profile, but OK in scale)

Maybe there were be more interest if the event were not dominated by a few special engines.  

n1  My mind is made up.  Don't try to confuse me with the facts.     HB~>

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »
     Well Robert it would seem that the clockwise engines have just about run there course. As Pete Mazur says, he fly's just as well as the best (he being a large part of the best) with the counter clock wise engine. I've competed with Pete for around 15+years and never seen him get in trouble over anything to do about the clockwise verses counter clockwise engines. On the other hand Bill B. had a big influence on me as far as using clockwise engines in carrier. He used Fox and then a Wylie (spelling?) which both used the Fox clockwise cranks and did so well that I went out and got a Nelson with a clockwise crank engine and from then on I used the clockwise engines in all of my AMA competition planes. The big difference in the use of either type engine is who is using them. The top carrier fliers can fly either engine and win/place well, because they know how to fly carrier and have flown the events over many years (practice, practice, practice). So I would suggest "don't make the clockwise engine" your main ticket to success.
     Have you heard the saying "be carefull what you wish for". I've been watching BCD events all over Europe over the last 5 years and have noticed the good turnouts, close competition between fliers and the overall fun the contestants seem to be having and find myself envying your carrier competitions. Here in the States the turnout in competition in pretty poor, that is very disappointing to me and the group that are actively flying carrier here. Henry Nelson made his carrier engines available to anyone that wanted one and I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of these engine out there that were bought by people that wanted to compete and win but in the end didn't want to put the effort into it that would allow them to win.
     So the engines are out there but it does take some effort to get one. Then after you get it, then begins the work to get to the top, and with rare exception there is not many that will do the work to get there.  Eric

Eric

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
     Have you heard the saying "be carefull what you wish for". I've been watching BCD events all over Europe over the last 5 years and have noticed the good turnouts, close competition between fliers and the overall fun the contestants seem to be having and find myself envying your carrier competitions.

Me too!  Our NW .40 Profile is gaining popularity in the U.S.  As Eric points out entries in AMA classes are dwindling . Perhaps it might be time for  a good long look into some needed changes.
Joe

I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Robert Schulze

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:43:34 PM »

Thank you friends for the many good answers.
but also bring this class further critical thoughts.
I have the Graf Zeppelin2 built in 1998 and is staging since about 70 competitions with this. Participants are 5 to 20
Basic Carrier Deck offers through its simple rules for beginners and professionals plenty of space to let off steam. Because we must not tax the wings and the line guide, it makes the classes as simple
http://carrier-deck.com/?page_id=122
The Eletrischen are always on top. "I want this to declare war"
Joke.
attached the participants with their planes from Belgium
Gruß
Robert

Offline Robert Schulze

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
Hello dear model flyer on the other side of the world.

I ordered an engine in UK.
a West 36 modified with a special crankshaft for reverse rotation.
This is a modified Webra 35
It is a lightweight and powerful engine.
http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_009.htm
West produces very nice engines.

turn only the front by 90 ° has always sacrificing performance. I think a mirrored crankshaft is better.
@Bill Bischoff: am on holiday in Denmark in a wooden house with Internet access. with time to surfing the www
regards
Robert

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
     Sounds like a good engine Robert. When I decided to get into carrier in the late 1980s a lot of the top flyer's were using Fox engines here in the States but I didn't like Fox engines. I got a Webra .32 helicopter engine and was very happy with it. Later I got a Webra 35 helicopter engine and it was better. By 1992 I had discovered the heavy case Nelson engines and am still using them. I still have my Webra 35 somewhere? This should be a strong running engine. Eric
Eric

Offline Robert Schulze

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:15:41 PM »
Hi CL ér
I now have the engine
produced in Austria
West 36 R = as Robert or reverse rotation
Looks at the propeller
the piston clamped still in the OT.

greeting
rrr
reverse rotation robert

Offline Robert Schulze

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »
Here the Me 109 is the second "rollout"
Not BOM rule but BBC (build by Claus) (Maikis)
Now with West 36 R (reverse)
0 degrees side thrust
9x6 propeller
Workshop trimmed 1360g

Fashion color for summer 2016 is Lila

greetings
Robert

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
Looking good...!
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Louis Matts

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »
Very nice build Robert. Interesting engine, how does she run? I am looking for a pair of PC .36's, not sure on reverse or standard rotation, I think both will work if the model is trimmed properly, I have seen the "greats" make both work, Bill Melton used standard rotation, Carlos Aloise used reverse rotation, Bill M tried Carlos A reverse rotation engine and said it hurt his low speed, model trim I guess. :)

LM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here