News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy engines .19 redhead  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Brent Saska

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
McCoy engines .19 redhead
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
Hello everyone I am new here and I am getting back into control line after flying RC exclusively for years. I have two old Top Flite P 47 thunderbolt kits that I am building, the ones with the preformed balsa fuselage shells, one was given to me years ago but it was missing the plans so I found one on ebay recently that was complete and when I opened it up there was a brand new pristine McCoy 19 in the box that had never been run spotless condition no varnish or fuel stains or anything on it and the compression is outstanding. Problem is that the needle valve is missing, the venture is complete but there is no needle valve, I have been looking around on the internet for NOS or reproductions but I haven't found any. Can anyone help? Are these valuable when they are in unused condition? Should I keep it that way or should I use it?

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: McCoy engines .19 redhead
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
Red head McCoy engines were very common and affordable in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I flew one for several years in a Veco Warrior and later a Sig Spad. It was a reliable and functional sport engine with the right prop.
I would fly it, but then again I'm the guy with too many engines set aside for the right time.....
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
Don't know about collectors value, I'd shop it around. As for the NVA I'd get a well made modern unit if you're going to run it.

MM

George Hostler

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Mecoa has the needle valves. https://mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=103

NEEDLE VALVE, McCOY SERIES 21
Part Number: 85-0201
Old Part Number: GOOD
Stock Status: GOOD
Price: $7.60

Although says for Series 21, will fit your Red Head.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:33:41 AM »
             I have the preformed fuselage with a Mccoy .19 in it. Don't expect stellar performance. This plane is pretty much a roundy round plane. It is cool however. The stock needle valve will not be long enough to exit the cowling and will need to be extended. I believe the Mecoa units are possibly shorter in length compared to the stock unit. The plane has a very small and thin wing. The stock wood wheels are very heavy as well. I highly recommend lightweight glass cloth from F-1 back to the wing joint. Ken

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »
Welcome Brent!  I built the Hurricane version of the P-47 years ago and powered it with a McCoy 19.  It was a fun flyer.  Although it really couldn't do square loops very well, it did all the round maneuvers and I really enjoyed it.  Build it light and you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Scott

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
You will have a fun semi scale plane to fly with the McCoy .19, especially if it is the newer redhead.  When the local hobby shop had a box of them for sale at $3.00 each.  Back then big money for me, but I bought two.  My brother also bought two and the Top Flite P-40 Warhawk.   He had a blast with it.   Guys we worked with bought some of the engines also.   One guy was having trouble starting his and being a mechanic he took a small starter motor and made what had to be the first electric starter.   Heater hose was used to fit the prop nut/shaft.   We had a lot of fun back in those days.   Great little engine if broken properly and treated nice.   I still have several of them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
Please remember they like lots of Castor oil. 
25% oil 5-10 nitro.

Advertise Here
Tags: needle valve 

Advertise Here