News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:36:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pathfinder  (Read 10099 times)

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
Pathfinder
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
What year was the Pathfinder ?????
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
The profile Pathfinder was published in the March, 1995 issue of FM plan CF958.  Was it preceded by a full-fuselage model?

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »
The first Pathfinder was built in 1988. Then Changes were made for the next 4 years. Hope this helps. But not for the super 70`s. I should know this since I designed the Pathfinder.

Gordy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
Indeed, Gordan, you should know.  ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 12:12:36 PM »
Wanted to resurrect this thread since time has passed that would seemingly bring the Pathfinder into compliance with Nostalgia 30. Please understand that I am almost completely ignorant to Nostalgia 30 so it's okay to talk down to me.

My son was gifted an electric flapped Pathfinder that has a three wheel landing gear (not sure if that is original to the design; or if that matters). It's his favorite plane and is just about to get him through learning the full pattern. We plan on attending the Brodak contest in June  and are wondering if his Pathfinder would make the cut for Nostalgia 30. The Brodak informational guide only indicates "up to 30 years prior to contest date."

As I review the topic here, I am left wondering what is used to make the 30 year determination? Is it the first build (1988; 34 years ago), after the reported "changes" (1992; 30 years ago), or is it based on the published date (1995; 27 years ago)? Obviously you see my dilemma. I don't want to show up with my son ready to fly only to be turned away because I don't know how the calculation works. I may also post a picture of the plane tonight when I get home in case there is something else about OUR Pathfinder that people would scream "foul" on.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »
You should be good to go for N30.  Time moves fast.  30 years isn't that long. 
As a teen back in the early 90's it was fun watching the Pathfinder evolve as Gordan and the crew around here developed and refined the plane. 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 07:55:10 PM »
Here are some pics of the Pathfinder we were gifted by Mike Londke. Can't remember who he said he got it from. Regardless, it has been great for my son to learn the whole pattern on. If you all come out to Brodaks, expect to see it in the air.

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 05:12:15 AM »
Wanted to resurrect this thread since time has passed that would seemingly bring the Pathfinder into compliance with Nostalgia 30. Please understand that I am almost completely ignorant to Nostalgia 30 so it's okay to talk down to me.

My son was gifted an electric flapped Pathfinder that has a three wheel landing gear (not sure if that is original to the design; or if that matters). It's his favorite plane and is just about to get him through learning the full pattern. We plan on attending the Brodak contest in June  and are wondering if his Pathfinder would make the cut for Nostalgia 30. The Brodak informational guide only indicates "up to 30 years prior to contest date."

As I review the topic here, I am left wondering what is used to make the 30 year determination? Is it the first build (1988; 34 years ago), after the reported "changes" (1992; 30 years ago), or is it based on the published date (1995; 27 years ago)? Obviously you see my dilemma. I don't want to show up with my son ready to fly only to be turned away because I don't know how the calculation works. I may also post a picture of the plane tonight when I get home in case there is something else about OUR Pathfinder that people would scream "foul" on.
  The 3 wheel landing gear is the way it's designed. It saves a lot of props. If you need more prop clearance straighten the nose gear wire a bit.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
I didn't realize the original design was 3 wheels. However, with all the trainer planes we flew to get to this point, I can see how the design saves on props. Wish we would have had this plane 70 props ago  ;)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 07:32:15 PM »
Trike gear also makes for great take off and smooth landings.  Nice way to slightly improve your pattern points.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here