News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:11:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARC Vector Completed  (Read 27721 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ARC Vector Completed
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
Thanks to the many of you who answered questions on two other posts.  We, my brother and I,  thank you so much. 

This kit has a long story.  I bought it about two years ago.  Later, I decided I was too busy and sold it.  I sent it to Canada by mail but didn't double box it.  Parts of the wing were crushed in  the mail.  The person kindly sent it back.  Meanwhile, my brother retired.  He likes building.  He looked at it and said he thought he could get it back together.  He made about half, perhaps more, new ribs and repaired some other parts that were broken.

I am attempting to post pictures of it.  The blue and yellow covering are ultra-cote and the power is a Randy Aero LA 46.   Next is break-in of the engine and hopefully a first flight during this coming week.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
Re: ARC Vector Completed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »
A few more pics

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
A few more pics.

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
Hi Allen,
Looks really nice.
How did it balance
with the LA 46 and
stock muffler?
George

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »
Looks great to me.   Going to Brodaks with it?  I don't know how close to Carmichaels PA you are.  I'm not able to be there this year, but am planning on 2016.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Beautiful job!!!  I am more amazed at how much garage floor space you have and how clean it is!!!  Lol

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
Great save, Allen!  Your brother does excellent work y1

Have you had a Vector before?  Should fly great with the Randy Smith LA .46!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
The Vector has flown!

To answer a few questions.

I had to add 1 3/4 oz of weight to the back.

It finally flew today - two flights - no maneuvers.     It needs more weight in the wing tip.  I think that my 11/4 Power Point Prop is not big enough.  I have one Master Air Screw 12/4 and some 11/6's.    I am planning to go to Brodak, Monday and Tuesday.  Will try to procure some 11.5/4,  or something like that.

I'm taking my time.  I already ready wrecked the Magician I want to fly at Brodak.   It will be back together tomorrow, thanks again, to my brother.

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:03:43 AM »
Hi Allen,
Try the Thunder Tiger Cyclone 11X4.5 prop.
A tongue muffler weighs about .5 oz. and the
stock muffler weighs about 2.5 oz. and find
the lightest spinner you can and you may
be able to get rid of the tail weight.
George

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Hi George,

Do you know where to obtain the Cyclone props.  I want a batch of them.

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
Hi Allen,
Randy Smith use to have them
and I think he has the best Mufflers.
Thunder Tiger could have quit making
props but I hope not. I think their 11X4.5
prop is the best for the LA 46.
George

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
I will ask around at Brodak to see if anyone knows where to find the Cyclone props.  I know Brodak has Big Art mufflers.

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
Hi Allen, WOW!!!!!! That looks great!!! I'm so glad it all worked out. People, if you saw the plane when I did when it arrived in Canada you would be astonished and to see it all in beautiful shape and that makes me happy. I felt so bad about it, that I sent Allen 2 McCoy engines, a 19 and a 35 to use. Allen, you are a great guy and and I'm flabbergasted as to how the vector turned out. Brought a tear to my eye actually, lol

cheers

Rob
Duck

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  Also the engines.  I am using the 19.  I need to get the courage soon to really fly the Vector.  So far four flights - mostly level.     I 've got to get over my fear of really flying it.  I have about 40 minutes on the motor. 

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
The real hero of this story is my brother, Ron.  He spent many hours of many days, building this plane.  When I figure out how, I will post his picture with the plane.   

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Here are some pics of my brother with the Vector.   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »
Has your brother got to see it fly yet?   I see he is using a walker.   If he knows how to fly put him on a swivel chair with help to turn it.  Looks like you both did a great job on it. H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
Hi John,

He was with me for the first two flights.   We are considering something for him to fly sitting down.  Haven't decided yet on what. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 05:26:18 PM »
Allen,

Outstanding job with that model.

Nice color choices, great color arrangement!

Amazing how you cut all those graphics.

My guess is you have a background in design?

H^^
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
HI Allen and Ron, What a Team you two are! I note that Ron is using a walker how Great is That! The plane looks really fine and I'll bet you will enjoy flying it quite a bit! Sorry that you chose not to fly at Brodak's but by next year you both might be ready! I sure hope so.

Have you flown the Flying Fool as yet? That bird turned out very nice! It too will fly fine for you.

As to the LA .46's I like the Pro Zinger 11 X 5 props over all. They are usually balanced or close to it. If it's necessary to balance at all I have been using Rust-O-Lium clear (shinny) to refinish the scrapings and standings. It's worked well for me thus far. If the weather gets really muggy you might try an 11 X 6 prop for more bite in thinner air.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
Thanks Phil,,

I think I have some of the 11/5's.  We haven't gotten around to flying the Vector again.  We haven't flown the Fool yet but we are going to soon.  I saw the one you put in CL world. 

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
I have finally flown the plane again.  Wow!  It was the best run I have ever had on a motor and the plane.  - It had a low growl, 4 - cycling and stayed that way through the run.  -

The "fly" was so smooth. Wow again!  What a feel!   This is the first time I have I have done 8's and loops with this plane.  This is the first plane of this caliber that I have flown.     

Using 60 ft. lines.  Is that too short?  I didn't feel that way.

It seems to sail a bit when landing.  I'm thinking it might be a bit tail heavy.  Also, might need a bit more weight in the wing tip.  I saw it flip a bit "up" in the wind.

Also, the landing was on some dirt on a ball field.  I have some dirt on the motor and a bit in the venturi.  I plan to work on that with a que-tip.  Is there any advice for engine cleaner and for getting dirt out of the engine fins.  I tried to spray some of my cleaner on it and to use the edge of a fine micro-fiber cloth.  It's not all out yet.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
Questions:  What length of lines are you using for your Vectors?   I've been using 60 ft.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
I fly my Vectors (one kit-built, one ARC, both LA46 powered) on 62 or 63 foot .018 lines with hard point handle. I think 60 feet is too short. You may get away with .015 lines depending on flying weight.

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
I have finally flown the plane again.  Wow!  It was the best run I have ever had on a motor and the plane.  - It had a low growl, 4 - cycling and stayed that way through the run.  -

The "fly" was so smooth. Wow again!  What a feel!   This is the first time I have I have done 8's and loops with this plane.  This is the first plane of this caliber that I have flown.      

Using 60 ft. lines.  Is that too short?  I didn't feel that way.

It seems to sail a bit when landing.  I'm thinking it might be a bit tail heavy.  Also, might need a bit more weight in the wing tip.  I saw it flip a bit "up" in the wind.

Also, the landing was on some dirt on a ball field.  I have some dirt on the motor and a bit in the venturi.  I plan to work on that with a que-tip.  Is there any advice for engine cleaner and for getting dirt out of the engine fins.  I tried to spray some of my cleaner on it and to use the edge of a fine micro-fiber cloth.  It's not all out yet.

Hi Allen

your Q:  Is there any advice for engine cleaner and for getting dirt out of the engine fins.  I tried to spray some of my cleaner on it and to use the edge of a fine micro-fiber cloth.  It's not all out yet.

Answer: cleaning engine fins ? I use a tooth brush (from the field box) to do the job.

Peter  H^^

I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice.  I flew it once this evening, using 10% nitro.  I opened the needle a bit but the run was too fast and too long - probably 9 or 10 minutes.  I think I am going to get longer lines and .018.  I am using .015 60 ft. lines.  My brother has 70's. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here