News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Muffler Gasket  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Just completed this PDK Buster 45
Muffler Gasket
« on: June 05, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
Does a gasket between the engine, OS LA 46 and the muffler help the muffler to stay tight and is the gasket a good idea or not necessary? 

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Muffler Gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
I've never used one, and i use OS engines pretty much exclusively

Offline Phil Goldberg

• Lieutenant
  • Just completed this PDK Buster 45
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »
Have you ever had a problem with the silencer assembly bolt nut coming off during flight?   

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
You mean the one on the end of muffler? Yes, but remember, that's only a lock nut. If you don't have the main bolt through the whole muffler nice and snug, the whole rear can (and the baffle inside, if it's still there) will slowly loosen off.

I tend to nip everything up, and then lock down the lock nut.

As for muffle gaskets between the engine and the muffler, I don't. They always seem to compress after a bit of running, leaving the bolts loose.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
Phil,

I have always used a very, very thin layer of automotive gasket sealant. I apply it directly to the metal surface with a toothpick and blot it on a paper towel. The thinner the better. Paper type gaskets will compress and only cause more problems.

As for the bolt running the length of the muffler holding the fore and aft sections together, I've only had the nut stay on by using JB Weld "painted" over the nut and bolt. Never had one loosen using this method. Tried everything else including red Locktite and nothing ever worked.

Paul

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37:45 PM »
Does a gasket between the engine, OS LA 46 and the muffler help the muffler to stay tight and is the gasket a good idea or not necessary? 

So far I have not had one come loose. I use the LA 46 with exhaust gaskets exclusively.
They keep oil from building up on the muffler and burning.

I like them, Jerry y1

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »
I have been using .005" copper foil for gasket material and it fits snug once and for all.  The paper gaskets I have tried in the past seem to require retightening or would work them selves loose during a flight. I purchased copper foil at Industrial Metal supply.

Charles Carter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
I have never used a gasket.   I also double nut the through bolt of the muffler or replace with a nylock nut.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
Either a thin smear of Permatex High-Temp silicone sealer OR lap both surfaces flat & smooth and use nothing.

ALWAYS use socket head machine screws, even if you have to throw away what came with the engine. I've yet to have a problem with an OS muffler falling apart, but I don't take them apart, either. But I've only used them on .25LA and Magnum XLS .36, never on a .46LA.

If your mufflers tend to fall off or come apart, you need to a) balance your props better b) stiffen up the nose of your plane c) take more care with getting stuff tight and making sure it stays tight. Never use gaskets!  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags: OS LA 46 

Advertise Here