News:

• May 07, 2024, 01:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dallas FW  (Read 2557 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dallas FW
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
   Where do you guys fly in the Dallas FW area on weekends.
I am leaving for Sana Fe NM  this Sunday and then back to Dallas to visit family on june 10th.
 Then back to North Carolina on June 15th #^
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Dallas FW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
Ed, check out the DMAA website at http://www.DMAA-1902.org You'll find a tab labeled "Locations" that will tell you all you need to know!  :)

Also check out the DMAA Calendar for contests here in District VIII. If you're in the area on Father's Day weekend, we have one of our major contests then.

Regards,

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
greater southwest modelers assoc....we have a grass circle with concrete center pad. Located on Randol Mill Rd on the east side of Fort Worth. One guy u mite run into is Tom Farmer of forerunner fame. Tom helped me at a contest back in the 90s and made a huge impression on me. He sealed the hinge lines on my buccaneer with stalker 46 (those were the days) and added a head shim to soften the break a wee... and I flew to 3rd in intermediate that day.He still flies a beautiful red and black 4 runner and is out on some saturday mornings. Would love to have a visitor...

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
Thanks guys. I miss your contest by a week to early. If I did make the contest Tom Niebuhr would not let me fly unless I brought my vintage JDFalcon.
No planes with me as we are traveling a long way in the small red car.
 I will make the weekend  June13-14
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »
Well the little red car made it to Santa Fe NM and now sits in Frisco tx just north of Dallas. Had a problem with over heating in traffic wth the air on. On the road it is OK
I will replace the radiator when i get home. The 2004 HO v6 tends to run warm. This is the only year for this motor. Later double OHC was a much better motor. May not make it to the field as driving around in high 90's with out air is not fun and it is to hot for the top down. With the top down it is hard to hear my tablet GPS.
Ed

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
You sure the fan is running, usually if it's ok at highway speeds but overheats in traffic it's the fan not the radiator.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Yes the fan is working.  I did replace it   and thermostat last year.  It is loude when it turns on high speed  mode as it is quite large. Last year the fan jammed and it got hot real quick.
Ed ~^

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »
Next suspect would be the water pump. Could very well be only pumping enough water at hi RPM. Only reason I'm thinking this way is from my days of running junk and allot of over heating issues. Radiator issues like being partially plugged usually get worse at speed as the engine load increases.

In any case good luck and have a safe trip.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »
Hello,

A worn serpentine belt can do this as well.  If the tensioner is all the way out replace the belt first, they can slip on the pulley and not squeal and you never know its the issue until you check the tensioner.  Always start with the external first.  If you can wire jump the fan so it stays on all the time and see what happens. Just pull the leads to the fan thermostat and put a jumper in there that makes the connection.  Another option could be the thermostat.  I know you said you replaced it a year ago but it could be the issue.  I would think it if were the radiator it would have issues at all speeds as that means there is not enough flow in the radiator itself to move enough water so no mater how much air you get on it it will not cool the motor.  If it is cool at highway and not idle you have an air on the radiator issue or low on fluid.

Let us know what it is.  I am curious.

Thanks
Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
All the things mentioned above were checked less than a year ago when the fan shoude cracked and jammed the fan! Belt is goog and has good tension. I did check all the above before the trip. I have done all my own work on thic car since I got it. I have writen two articles that have been on the mustang forum. One on how to pull and repair leaks on the oil pump. This motor has a external oil pump.
 From my pad.
Ed

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
Ed,
I have to work both nights. I be there a few hours on Sunday for the Bob Gieseke and Jim Tomerson memorial service
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
Ed,
 Clarification: I will be at the field on Father's day the 21st for the memorial service.

However call my cell phone when you are in the area I sure would like to meet you. 469  450  7093

Tom Niebuhr
AMA 7544

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
Tom
  Iwill try and get to the Dallas field tomorrow, Saturday morning.
    Sorry i did not bring the JD Falcon.
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
I made it to thefield but no one elts did.  mid morning perfect flying weather. slight over cast wind 2 to 3mph.  styed one hr and left.  great flying site.
 pictires when i get bome.
ed

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
I made it to thefield but no one elts did.  mid morning perfect flying weather. slight over cast wind 2 to 3mph.  styed one hr and left.  great flying site.
 pictires when i get bome.
ed

Which flying did you go to that had perfect weather?  Mike Scott and I tried on Saturday but it was already blowing hard by 7:30 he was there at 6:30 and texted me to just stay home.  It only blew more and more as the morning wore on.  Then rained some too... ugh...

Sunday was more of the same. Blowing hard enough to just turn around and go home, again.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:20 AM »
Doug
  At Frisco where I was staying it was windy and looked like rain at 7:30 AM. Later at 8:45 it went calm so I drove to the Interstate-635 site on the east side of Dallas. Dead calm with overcast at 9:30. It cleared up and got blue skies and a wind of 3-4 mph going the length of the field. I walked all over the place and went over and talked to some bike riders near the soccer fields. Left after 10:30 and it was beautiful when I left. I have a bunch of pictures but they are on my tablet. There was a guy ,bum sleeping under one of  the table covers but I left him alone.
 Very nice flying site. Much better than Huntersville which is surrounded by trees and always turbulent.

Yes the little red car made it home after 4500+ miles
Ed

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
Doug
  At Frisco where I was staying it was windy and looked like rain at 7:30 AM. Later at 8:45 it went calm so I drove to the Interstate-635 site on the east side of Dallas. Dead calm with overcast at 9:30. It cleared up and got blue skies and a wind of 3-4 mph going the length of the field. I walked all over the place and went over and talked to some bike riders near the soccer fields. Left after 10:30 and it was beautiful when I left. I have a bunch of pictures but they are on my tablet. There was a guy ,bum sleeping under one of  the table covers but I left him alone.
 Very nice flying site. Much better than Huntersville which is surrounded by trees and always turbulent.

Yes the little red car made it home after 4500+ miles
Ed

I wish I had known it calmed down. I live just 4 miles from there and our trees never really stopped and it rained off and on at my house while I was mowing at that time.
There are alot of Bums that sleep there.  It makes me a little nervous when it is just me and them.
Sorry we missed you.
I am glad the car made it ok for you.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
 Well a update on the little red car. The problem was pretty much what I had thought. I member on the Mustang forum said it is common for trash to build up between the air condition radiator and the cooling radiator.  There is no way to clean it without pulling the cooling radiator. The first picture shows the cooling radiator out and the air radiator is clean. I replaced the fan last year and it is a huge heavy bugger. The front of the cooling fan was so impacted I could not see through 30% of it. Not much room in this engine bay. The factory headers are tucked up close to the motor and the mufflers are squeezed in front of the convertible subframe. Pulling the radiator and fan together was hard on this 75 year old body. As a side note the air gets cold much faster now that the air radiator can get air through it. It was 97 today as I did this job but my back and side yard is all tree covered so no direct sun to bake me. I did put in a new 180 degree thermostat but the old one was changed with the fan last year.
 Thanks for all the good advice and help.              NOTE Two more pictures in next reply
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »
two more     I didn't mention it but I replace the radiator. I also ran cleaner through the system for almost a week to clean out the block before the new radiator was put in. #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Cool!  :)
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
Your weren't kidding about that fan, Eddy! That things huge.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here