News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Texas members please check in  (Read 3466 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Texas members please check in
« on: May 29, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
With the flooding in TX we sure would like to know your all OKay.
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Texas members please check in
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Thanks for your concern Robert. I'm about 50 miles east of Dallas and we are ok here. I've checked with all family and friends in the Dallas area and they are good also. But it seems everyone knows someone impacted by all this weather.

I have an R/C runway and a C/L circle on my property. I've not been able to mow one time this year. Still about 1 inch of water and grass is about 12 inches high. I predict it will be a least a month before we're able to fly anything.

Thanks again Robert.

Paul

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
I'm okay, I just wish I could stop flooding my ST 60 Blue Head. :'(
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm great!  Bout to "lay the keel" on an Aurther Alfieri "Ruby". Been raining allot near the Ft Hood area, couple of tornados but no damage and no flooding.  Same as Paul Wood--bad flying weather and knee-high grass. 

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
The Moon's and Bill Ruthford, Al Rabe,Chris Ragotti?
AMA 12366

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
All the telephone lines are down.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
I called Chris on his cell and he's okay
AMA 12366

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »
We are all fine here in Waxahachie.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bob Howard

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
This is the one time I wish everything wasn't so BIG in Texas!! LL~

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
All is OK at our home in North Fort Worth. Have a flood plain behind the house with a creek running through it. Heavy rain it becomes a lake and the flood plain does it's job nicely.
Houston is getting hit pretty hard, need some reports from down there.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »
Was in Houston last weekend for the Houston Contest. Stayed over and left for home on Monday morning. Was about 6 hours ahead of the rain and floods there. Whew!

We're all right here just outside Tyler. My little lake is full for the first time since 2007.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »

ive been trying to call my baby...and I can't get a single sound...

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
We have had a bunch of rain this spring ...... my son's garage got about 3 inches of water a couple of weeks ago..... we're half way between Houston and Galveston  and when the line of storms come through we all get a share of the water ..... several friends in the area got rising water in their houses .... my street filled up about halfway to the house, still needed alot to get to the house .... lots of flooded underpasses in Houston .... we are so saturated that all of the new rain just can't soak in.

Our flying field on the west side of Houston is in a Corp of Engineers flood plain area .... the two paved circles haven't gone under this year, however in the past they have had water over them.  The contest last weekend had some wind on Sat., no rain though.  The prediction for Sunday was even higher winds followed by more rain.  Most people packed up Sat. evening and headed home.  However, Sunday morning, the winds were light (5-10), the drizzle quit about 8am, and those left flew in pretty good conditions.

Look up tropical storm Claudete, 1979.  This storm never made it to hurricane status as it came across the Gulf.  It came ashore one evening and stalled over Alvin Texas, about 10 miles west of me (Clear Lake City).  Talk about rain ...... it still holds the 24 hour record for rainfall in the US.
42 inches in 24 hours.  Lots of sad stories from that one.  What a mess.  It should drop off soon, however rain is forcast for tomorrow afternoon and Sunday.

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »
I'm great!  Bout to "lay the keel" on an Aurther Alfieri "Ruby". Been raining allot near the Ft Hood area, couple of tornados but no damage and no flooding.  Same as Paul Wood--bad flying weather and knee-high grass.  
I sent LazerWorks my Ruby plans and they make a short kit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:29:06 PM by Gordon Van Tighem »
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »
The Moon's and Mike Scott are still above the water line.  But we are close to going under.  The Trinity river in Dallas is sitting right at 40'.  Anymore and it could go over and do some damage around downtown.

Here a couple of before and after pics.  This should really let you know how much rain we are getting.  It takes a very large amount of water to get this river to rise. The first pic is how it looks all the time.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »
Flooded homes a few miles away, but no problems here.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
I have 6 1/2 acres of wet!  The stock pond was down about 15 ft. It is now over flowing. The creek at the edge of our property is very high but thankfully our house if high so no problems there. Everything is so soggy that it might be a month before it is possible to run our zero turn mower without it getting stuck in the mud. Some of the grass in the pasture is over 3 feet high. The ground squishes under your feet.

The worst thing is there is so much standing water that mosquitos will be a major problem this year.

We are lucky to be high. Driving to McKinney (about 14 miles) the pasture land that always floods looks like  a lake a few miles long.

Doug Moon's pictures tell a lot. Some areas are devastated.

We need a lot of sun.
AMA 7544

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:08:37 AM »
Any more SRV references coming? Hope his statue next to the river in Austin is okay.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
Any more SRV references coming? Hope his statue next to the river in Austin is okay.

"Man I'm standing out in the rain". LL~ LL~ LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »

We need a lot of sun.

That won't be a problem here in Texas!!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
Mike Scott and I managed to get in a couple of flights each on Thursday
morning. But, it's a mess at Hobby Park. The ground is totally saturated,
standing water all over the place, and the city hasn't been able to mow
in quite awhile; so the grass is very high. Since then, it has rained over
six more inches. Otherwise, we're okay. Just tired of this s**t!

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
And just think in a couple of months we will be wishing for some rain and cooler temps.   But with all the housing and shopping centers, where is the water going to soak into?  I hope the collage educated idiots remember to close the gates and fill he resevors.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 12:27:37 PM »
Sure wish you guys could send us some of that excess water. Here in CA it's dryer than a popcorn phart.......... and we're expecting a long dry fire season. (At least I am)
And we've been put on water rationing! Imagine that.  %^@

Maybe a set of floats on your stunters.............. ;D

Cheers, Jerry

PS: Keep dry.......... ???

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
Doc.

The problem is that all the reservoirs are above flood stage.. The spillways are open and just sending the water elsewhere where it creates more flooding..

They say that it was even worse before the artificial lakes/reservoirs were made. There simply no place for the water to go. The ground can't absorb any more.
AMA 7544

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »

As most of the people on this forum are aware, they're are quite a few guitar players who also fly stunt. Consequently, Howard hit a sensitive note, (couldn't resist) with his sly post.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
My house and hangar are all dry. I have been pretty lucky so far.  Wish we could send some of this rain to Cal where they really need it. When I was flying for the airlines we got a notice that the average north American thunderstorm held about 450 million tons of water. That's a lot of water. Oh yea it's raining again and I was hoping to go flying in the morning. Sometimes life is a real beach.  Bill

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
Lampasas is near Fort Hood in what is called central Texas.

We, like most everybody else, are / were saturated from months of overcast and frequent rains before the Memorial Day event
The last 60 days I logged a little over 12 inches of rain on our micro ranch (2.3 acres), normal year would have us around 3 to 5 inches total

While the rain did impact our area with flooding, a small short lived tornado did most of the damage, fortunately 5 miles from us.
Barns, trailers, ranch houses, fences,  and cars destroyed
The good news is, no lives lost.
Bigger impact is all the horses, cattle, goats, and pets displaced

In this area the extra water has everything growing more than normal so later this summer we will have higher fire risks to watch out for once we are all dry and get the searing sun browning all the brush
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 03:06:56 PM »
Lampasas is near Fort Hood in what is called central Texas.

We, like most everybody else, are / were saturated from months of overcast and frequent rains before the Memorial Day event
The last 60 days I logged a little over 12 inches of rain on our micro ranch (2.3 acres), normal year would have us around 3 to 5 inches total

While the rain did impact our area with flooding, a small short lived tornado did most of the damage, fortunately 5 miles from us.
Barns, trailers, ranch houses, fences,  and cars destroyed
The good news is, no lives lost.
Bigger impact is all the horses, cattle, goats, and pets displaced

In this area the extra water has everything growing more than normal so later this summer we will have higher fire risks to watch out for once we are all dry and get the searing sun browning all the brush

Whoa!!!  You're in Lampasses???  I need a flying buddy, like, badly.  Any good places to sneak in a few flights in your area?  Nothing in Killeen but some  parking lots that are pretty risky with people driving through them.  DPS is building a new parking lot on West Ft Hood that I'm hoping will be big enough.  There is also our own UAS ramp located on RGAAF.  Havent had a chance to talk to the airfield manager about that.

Glad you're ok.  Heard about the twister that went through the Lampasses and Kempner area.

Keep in touch!

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:25 PM »
What flood?  I live on a hilltop in Irving.

Al

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 10:10:58 PM »
I'm in the dry area of Texas.  We didn't get much rain, just a sprinkle or two.  About 100 today and little humidity.

George Hostler

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:34 PM »
We're 7 miles from the Texas border. We got reports that it flooded in parts of Lubbock and Shallowater, some businesses and homes got flooded. Our drainage ponds, (architects call them "detention ponds") are about 3/4th full here in Clovis, NM, largest near Wal-Mart. We got a little flooding in the town but it drained quickly. I don't know if anyone's homes or businesses got flooded here.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
Funny,

We inquire about the welfare of Texans while in Oklahoma not only did we recieve the same amount of rain we were nailed with Tornado's. I am not downplaying the flooding in TX as I know it was bad and I feel for our TX brethren.

My roof, pool, and 400ft of fencline was destroyed when a tornado went over my house. Pretty crazy sight to see in person. The good news is my planes are ok ;)

The rain, while damaging was much needed in central US so I thank God for that. My local fishing hole is overflowing!

Heck so was my street. Toolk my old 8N tractor and gouged out a drain to the creek behind my house so the water would stay out of my garage.

When it rains it pours...

George Hostler

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
Funny, We inquire about the welfare of Texans while in Oklahoma not only did we recieve the same amount of rain we were nailed with Tornado's. I am not downplaying the flooding in TX as I know it was bad and I feel for our TX brethren.

My roof, pool, and 400ft of fencline was destroyed when a tornado went over my house. Pretty crazy sight to see in person. The good news is my planes are ok ;) The rain, while damaging was much needed in central US so I thank God for that. My local fishing hole is overflowing! Heck so was my street. Toolk my old 8N tractor and gouged out a drain to the creek behind my house so the water would stay out of my garage. When it rains it pours...

Ron, good to hear you are okay, sorry to hear of your material losses, good though no one got hurt. It seems that KS, eastern NM, MO, OK and Panhandle TX, all within tornado alley, share the same weather, LOL. Last year June, the Clovis Community Band Concert was held in Ned Houk Park, just north of the MADS model airplane field. We played about 3 tunes, then suddenly the sky turned pitch black like night. Winds became very strong. Hail started to fall. Late Jim Bernard, Bandmaster directed us to immediately put away our instruments and leave the park. Left the equipment for pick up next day.

7 vehicles got damaged by a tornado that touched down in the park, luckily no one was hurt. That was a spooky ride back to Clovis, heavy rain and hail with strong winds, LOL. This year, we had the concert early on May 30 and had it indoors in town due to concerns over the weather.

It was unfortunate for the heavy devastation in Houston with loss of life not to mention also property, my condolences.

Offline M. Scott

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
Flew Sunday Morning early with Steve, Doug and Bob Howard. Feet were soaked, should have put on Waders.
The Mosquitos were making us pay entry fees. Steve and I are trying again in the morning. Wish us luck!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
Y'all need to move to Tucson, where it's dry as a bone.  (Of course it's also 103 degrees F.) 
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Bob Howard

• New Pilot
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
Boy, you got that right, Mike. Tucson is awesome and the sidewinders not nearly as bad as the Texas mosquitos!  LL~ LL~

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
I've attempted to post  a picture of Lake Texoma (Denison Dam) with the water overflowing the emergency relief spillway. I've seen all four times this event has occurred since the dam was built around 1943, and this is by far the highest. The water washed out the road on the Texas side, so to view the spillway, one had to drive into Oklahoma on Hiway 75 below the dam,then turn to the West and backtrack across the dam.

Of interest to me was the signs placed along the safety fence, hopefully one will show on my photograph...put the RC machines back in the car.

dg

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 06:56:58 AM »
Sorry about the late check-in.  last couple of Saturdays I was working as a volunteer in Wimberly Tx trying to earn my Official Texan you may be from somewhere else but we'll claim you anyway card.  All kidding aside I live in the Austin Pflugerville area and the flooding was substantial.  I wasn't effected so I tried to help those who were. This picture was taken on the Blanco River just south of Wimberly on the house wall you can see the dark line of the high watermark.  From the people that were there this was reached within 10 to 15 minutes.
We're havin some fun now!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here